ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Previous Page

Post Migration - Duplicates

Forums: Post Migration Items [Sticky]
Created on: 07/23/20 03:10 PM Views: 4073 Replies: 164
Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 2:45 PM - Response #99

I am so sick of this!

Now, a long post I made on Notice Board (What's New) on Aug 15 at 8.28 PM, apologising to Classmates for the deletion of some posts and their duplicates (BUT NOT BY ME! See Post #98 above), has now truncated to all but a few words and I'm having to tell Classmates who are pointing it out to me that I don't know the reason why.

Can you imagine, CC, how that feels?!

One Classmate has even suggested that I close down our website until the problem is rectified. I won't be doing that even if I'm not getting what I'm paying for.

I need answers CC.

Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 3:22 PM - Response #100

Sorry for the issues. Gleaning from posts from CC, they make it appear that the issue lies with software they did not write? Or perhaps they meant to say that the new version of Cold Fusion does not work the same way with software CC wrote.

It's very confusing and muddled since clearly the actual problem in the code (somewhere) has not been found.

CC really needs to step up their game and become involved in this thread. It is not a good relationship to get occasional "updates" that in the end make no difference.

At the least, those most affected should receive either more storage or a free extension. Hint Idea

Edited 08/16/20 3:24 PM
Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 6:04 PM - Response #101

Thanks for the commiserations, Jack and for your input.

One thing I don't need is more storage and I'm paid up three years in advance and not convinced I'll see a solution in that time.

What I need is a website that is actually giving me what I'm paying for and programmers who know what they're doing.

Why do I get the impression that CC are looking for a cheap fix? I don't care what it costs them, they have to get someone else in and stop ignoring our complaints.

Initially, I and my Classmates believed this would be a short-lived problem. How long have the various problems been ongoing now!?

Class Creator, this is completely unacceptable.

What are your plans for the future and for us, the affected?

Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 6:22 PM - Response #102

If anyone from CC is actually listening, one more thing.

On Aug 16, 2020 at 10.50 PM, a Classmate posted a comment on an existing thread and the comment has duplicated. As both are timed the same, I'm not sure which is the duplicate but I tried to 'Like' the second of them and was told -

Please Note
'You cannot like this comment'

I was, however, able to 'Like' the first of the two comments so have to assume that was the original. I haven't had this occur before to my knowledge.

Edited 08/16/20 6:23 PM
Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 7:03 PM - Response #103

With 1,779 views it appears (to me) CC owner has bailed leaving unsuspecting Administrators accountable to classmates.

The migration is a disaster.
We don’t need extra memory and we’re paid through 2029.

Edited 08/16/20 10:28 PM
Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 7:38 PM - Response #104

I remember saying something similar about a month ago and it wouldn't surprise me in the least. CC's staff are very thin on the ground and I doubt that they'll consider it cost-effective for them to recruit more.

I hope I'm wrong but I think the cost of rectifying the situation has become a major issue and that we're being fobbed off with evasive non-answers and they're dragging this out to suit their own purpose.

Monday, August 17, 2020 at 3:42 PM - Response #105

CHUCK MERCURIO wrote:

Refreshed @ 3:00pm Dupe GONE:
But a comment by classmate in his profile posted is truncated.

To quote Roseann Roseannadana
"It's Always Something!"

Spoke too soon, 2 posts on 15 Aug @3:31 pm & 16 Aug @ 2:01pm to What's New both duplicated.
Both still there today 17 Aug
apparently Dupe Killer is Selective.
I deleted one from 16 Aug but left the first one -15 Aug... still there at 3:39pm 17 Aug

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 6:54 PM - Response #106

You appear to be right, Chuck, on that score. the dupe killer now appears to be removing all the duplicates eventually except where they've occurred on my own posts!

What have we Admins done to deserve this?!

Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 9:52 PM - Response #107

Over the last week, I've posted a dozen times, as comments under messages in my profile, or additional comments or replies under comments. In every case when I refreshed the page, what I posted was duplicated. I can still create these problems on my site any time I try.
But... when I'm logged in as a co-admin on the Westside-'58 site (which is free-ads and no-domain-name), I can NOT recreate the problems by doing the same things. That should be a significant clue for anyone who has the access and tools as they look for why (and when) the duplicate problem happens.

The good news is that (1) when I did not manually delete the duplicates (to see how well the 'dupe-killer' was working), the 'dupe-killer' did delete then fairly quickly, and (2) for two sets of replies under comments under a Birthday notice in What's New, it only deleted the duplicates and left the originals intact this time.

Although I did not go back to check at the time, I found that a private message I'd sent late last week still had a duplicate today. The 'dupe-killer did not find it, so I deleted it.

Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 3:19 AM - Response #108

John,

Let's pray that your 'clue' makes CC'S Techies think outside the box for a while.

What has become just as annoying as the duplicated posts is the duplication of Notifications of those posts. The system is obviously treating the duplicate as if it's a new post.

I'm not deleting any duplicates now in the hope that the dupe killer spots them eventually.. It looks ugly but I don't see it as my job to clean up someone else's mess. What is part of my job is to try to explain to Classmates what is happening and why. If only I knew!

Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 12:37 PM - Response #109

Hi Brad. I hope I'm putting this in the right place. We are getting non-stop duplicates of comments posted in the "In Memory" section. Is this a migration issue? Our site is finally getting more active & we're thinking of going pay, but people are getting annoyed by this. TIA.

Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 12:42 PM - Response #110

John Ralph wrote:

on the Westside-'58 site (which is free-ads and no-domain-name), I can NOT recreate the problems by doing the same things. That should be a significant clue for anyone who has the access and tools as they look for why (and when) the duplicate problem happens.

Nancy's post just showed that it's not just a domain name issue. This site

http://www.classcreator.com/Glenview-IL-Glenbrook-South-1968/

Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 4:56 PM - Response #111

Two more duplication oddities I've noticed today.

I posted on What's New, logged out, realised I'd made a mistake so logged in again and found what I wrote had been duplicated.

I amended one of the two entries to say what I meant to say in the first place and logged out again.

I logged in again to see what had happened and found that the entry I'd amended was still there in it's new form and the duplicated entry was there in it's old, unedited, form.

A Classmate posted on What's New, his post duplicated but the duplication, with the same time and date as his original, just showed an asterisk - * and nothing else.

Monday, August 24, 2020 at 3:15 PM - Response #112

Another new slant on the duplicates business today.

Logged into site to find a duplicate for Aug 24, 2020 at 7.54 pm on my Notice Board (What's New) page for a post by Philip Samuel Smith.

I added a comment to one of the entries and the other (original or duplicate?) disappeared.

Any chance of a response for a change CC?

Edited 08/24/20 3:16 PM
Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 10:17 AM - Response #113

My guess is that the duplicate-killer script reached in and nailed one of the entries while you were adding a comment to the other.
As far as your question, my Magic 8-Ball says "Cloudy - Try again later."

Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 9:48 PM - Response #114

Just had my first duplicate since the migration. It was a note sent to 3 classmates via the Message Center.

Thursday, August 27, 2020 at 1:14 PM - Response #115

Nice one, John.

Thursday, August 27, 2020 at 3:00 PM - Response #116

Another note just sent via the Message Center was duplicated. The one from yesterday now just shows a single entry so the clean up routine evidently got it.

Thursday, August 27, 2020 at 10:07 PM - Response #117

Like clockwork another duplicated.

Thursday, August 27, 2020 at 10:54 PM - Response #118

And again.

Friday, August 28, 2020 at 12:36 PM - Response #119

I'd "fix" this by reverting to the prior version of Cold Fusion & (?) - assuming that is all that was changed. Whatever problems they had with prior is way worse now. Classconnection is broken, duplicates, profile photos, etc.

Going on 90 days Question So Odd to not see much interaction from CC explaining.

Friday, August 28, 2020 at 1:59 PM - Response #120

Jack, you're right. The lack of communication from CC is just making the situation worse. Administrators can only tell their users that dups are the result of a system migration/upgrade for so long. They accepted that explanation for a reasonable amount of time but have now largely lost confidence in the system.

Friday, August 28, 2020 at 11:04 PM - Response #121

When I send notes from this site, where I am a co-admin, via Message Center they are NOT duplicated.

Thursday, September 3, 2020 at 2:48 PM - Response #122

Jessica, Brad, anybody!

Please update us at the very least on the latest situation regarding duplicate, truncated and disappearing posts. One I posted earlier on my Notice Board (What's New) has since truncated so makes no sense to anyone trying to read it or respond.

A few days ago I had to load something 5 times to the same page as each time I loaded it disappeared when I logged out.

This has gone too far and can't be allowed to go on and you can't go on ignoring our very reasonable questions. We are your customers, please treat us as such and, at the very least treat us with some politeness instead of disdain and do us the courtesy of responding to our questions.

I, and my Classmates especially, can't be expected to put up with this any longer.

You're also refusing to respond to direct Emails to you. Why?

Please also explain why we're not all experiencing the same problems and/or to the same degree.

It feels increasingly like you're not in control of the situation and as if we just don't matter.

Monday, September 7, 2020 at 12:55 PM - Response #123

Still no reply from Class Creator to my last post, Response #122. Would someone from CC like to explain why or will this post also be ignored?

100+ days now without me getting what I've paid for. You have an obligation to update us as to why.

Can someone advise if there's a simple way of saving all the work I've done on my website over the past 12 years as I'm very scared that these problems will escalate and I'll lose everything. Any guarantees on that score, CC?

Monday, September 7, 2020 at 10:31 PM - Response #124
Nancy-8years.jpg

For some reason, the 'duplicate killer' is not always working these days. A comment on Sept 02 under a message posted with a photo still had a duplicate tonight (Sept 07).

Monday, September 7, 2020 at 11:48 PM - Response #125

I can see where it can "miss" some if during the "window" where it runs (I imagine it takes some time) a post is made and then it never gets it because it is before the last time it checked. IOW, it is date+time coded otherwise it would take forever to go through all the posts. There was a prior comment where it never removed the duplicated post.

Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 5:30 AM - Response #126

John/Jack,

Some of my duplicates have been around for days.

Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 2:30 PM - Response #127

New Contest

Who has the oldest duplicated post?

Screen Shots please Very Happy

Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at 9:18 PM - Response #128

Our class website continues to be plagued by duplicate entries and we cannot understand why this trivial problem has still not been solved. We are looking for alternatives to Class Creator that might be able to provide more reliable tech support. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at 11:52 PM - Response #129

While this problem of duplicates is vexing, I don't know of any alternative to Class Creator (CC) that provides the capabilities CC does to customize your site, short of creating your own website from scratch.

We're an older class, and mostly passive as far as commenting goes, so we've only had a handful of duplicates since the trouble started. We've never activated "What's New," so maybe that helps.

It doesn't look like many admins have shut their sites down, as there are still 21,000+ classes online.

Edited 09/09/20 11:54 PM
Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at 11:53 PM - Response #130

The more significant issue is that CC ignores this very topic they created as a STICKY. No feedback, no details, NOTHING. IOW, nobody knows. Wonder why reverting back is a problem? Is there some security issue in prior versions of Cold Fusion or what? SILENCE is not customer service. HINT

Thursday, September 10, 2020 at 4:46 AM - Response #131

Yes, Jack. CC's silence can only mean they're running scared or they've all jumped ship and Jessica's picking up what pieces she can. Be nice to know how big an operation they are these days and whether comments like Sandy's #128 actually worry them.

I've got to admire Scott's patience but what he says (#129) about not activating What's New might explain why he's not been experiencing the level of problems and suffering the same frustration some of us have.

Edited 09/11/20 6:43 PM
Friday, September 11, 2020 at 6:10 PM - Response #132

Even though months have gone by since this problem was identified, I have deleted about 10 messages this week that had been duplicated. The ongoing appearance of duplicate entries is not only annoying to all of our users, but also a complete waste of my time. Unless this problem is solved soon, I cannot imagine recommending that our class extend our Class Creator subscription.

Friday, September 11, 2020 at 8:07 PM - Response #133

Scott Moore,

Thank you for your reply about the problem we continue to have with duplicate comments appearing on our website. We will probably not continue using Class Creator unless they are able to solve this problem soon.

Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 12:08 AM - Response #134

Scott Moore wrote:

It doesn't look like many admins have shut their sites down, as there are still 21,000+ classes online.

That's a deceptive numbers. You really can't shut down a site, unless you explicitly ASK CC to remove it. IOW, if a site is abandoned, it still shows up on the total number. Yet is is not active in the full sense of that word.

A more relevant number is the growth of CC. It has slowed down enormously this year - only about 700/year.

Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 12:24 AM - Response #135

Jack, you make a good point. A paid site whose subscription is not renewed reverts to a "free with ads" site indefinitely, keeping the number of sites online (currently 21,091) the same.

For those sites troubled with the duplicate issue, I hope CC discovers the cause and fixes it soon.

CC --- please don't consider going out of business! So many of us have put thousands of hours into our sites, and appreciate the unique capabilities you provide to bring our classes together.

Edited 09/12/20 7:04 AM
Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 1:25 AM - Response #136

Scott,
I agree with you!
Elena

Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 2:00 PM - Response #137

It's Sept/ 12, 2020. We seem to have no more duplicates showing up on messages/posts to people's profiles. But we now are having dupes on the private messages. In July I sent a message and there was no problem on the private message. But got contacted by a classmate about a dupe private message, and tested it myself. Yes, duplicate appeared.

Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 2:05 PM - Response #138

Yes, good point Scott Moore!
While I do not know what kind of pay the programmers and I.T. folks make, I can't see CC going out of business, when you consider the large number of classes/organizations using the CC services.
With that said, what is NOT shown is their breakdown of the number of sites:
<>that were in the original group that are free [I was told that several of these were initially free],
<>those that have opted to receive the ads,
<>and the actual number of paid sites.
I sent an email to my class, asking if they were having issues with duplicate emails, and got two 'YES' responses, and close to a hundred of them replied stating that they read their email exclusively on their smart phone, and thought the duplicates were because they had TWO email addresses registered on the site. {they, like me, when viewing email on their phone, have them all come to 'one icon' so they do not know which email account they are reading that particular email from.}
(BEFORE I sent out that email, I had NO complaints about duplicate email!)
(So, today's trivia - it was on September 11 in 1994 that Officer Obie died.)

Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 12:34 PM - Response #139

Hi All,

We are still here and still working to resolve the remaining items related to duplicates. Several of the things we have implemented have assisted in the reduction of them, however, we do realize they are still occurring and we are still working on the underlying issues as well as some rewrites.

Just to address some of the issues above:

1. We are still very actively working to address the duplicates issue

2. We are all still here and not going out of business.

3. We made a major investment into the new systems upgrading all external software we use to ensure we had the latest most secure versions of everything. Common programs like Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise and Adobe Cold Fusion Enterprise are the external programs we use - the code we write with those programs is custom to our system and not third party (although we do integrate third party items when they make sense like the HTML5 photo editor we used to replace the prior Flash editor).

4. The upgrades were a critical step needed to ensure the long term security of the system and to be able to add the additional items we will be adding this year.

Duplicates are still the highest priority and very actively being worked on. I will update here more as we work to get this cleared up everywhere it is still happening.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 4:44 PM - Response #140

Jessica,

Many thanks for this update! May the Force be with you as you continue resolving the remaining migration difficulties.

Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 7:21 PM - Response #141

News at last! It appears to be good news and has set my mind at rest.

Thank you, Jessica. Keep it up!

Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 11:59 PM - Response #142

Thanks fro the update.
Hope all issues get cleared up soon.

Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 6:10 PM - Response #143

Jessica,
Thank you - good to know.
Any news re: how to proceed with Security Certificates?
Elena

Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 6:11 PM - Response #144

Jessica,
Thank you - good to know.
Any news re: how to proceed with Security Certificates?
Elena

Friday, September 18, 2020 at 11:31 AM - Response #145

Messages sent from Classmate Profiles are still being duplicated in the Message Center outbox.

Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 6:02 PM - Response #146
Notification of Duplicate.JPG

Just got a notification (attached) from the '60 site of an In Memory comment. The notification is correct the problem is the duplication of the comment.

Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 12:55 AM - Response #147
Dup'dComment.jpg

Hoping that the duplicate killer script finds and deletes duplicates before the notify engine creates a notify is not what I call "working to address the duplicates issue". I still create a duplicate every time I post a comment under a message or a reply under a comment. And it's not unusual to find a duplicate that's days old.

Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 2:17 AM - Response #148

DITTO J R!

We are experiencing the same thing - Duplicates to all comments after a comment or post and they linger well past when the "Script" should have caught it. We have tried to get an answer from CC. They have yet to respond to our Trouble Ticket on the matter.

Also Notifications are sporadic, sometimes duped as well

We are approaching 4 months after migration and the nothing seems to be getting done.

Edited 09/24/20 2:19 AM
Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 10:26 AM - Response #149
Dup'dComment.jpg

John Ralph wrote:

Hoping that the duplicate killer script finds and deletes duplicates before the notify engine creates a notify is not what I call "working to address the duplicates issue".

Nor do I. I was pointing out that the notification was correctly reporting a problem that remains to be corrected.

Friday, September 25, 2020 at 11:43 AM - Response #150
DupWN-PageAdd.jpg

When is a "duplicate" not a "duplicate" - even though they're identical? Well, in one case this week, I'm not sure.

Five days ago on the 20th, I created a new page. Later in the day an Immediate Notify went out, and a line popped up in What's New documenting that new page - with no duplicate. The next day, Once Daily notify emails went out, and there was still no duplicate line in What's New for the next two days.
But on the 23rd, I corrected at typo in that new page, saved the result (without checking the "Notify xxx members" box), and by the next day I had what appeared to be a duplicate in What's New - with matching post date/time from the original.

Normally, if I make a change to a page but don't check the "Let everyone know" box, there is no notify sent or "New or updated page" entry posted in the What's New page. This time... although I did not have a duplicate entry to begin with, and should not have had a second entry when I made a change, four days later I had an exact duplicate of the original What's New post - posted right below the original.

Not that this is a show-stopper, or even a major concern, but it is yet another strange symptom of whatever has been going on since the migration plus included multiple software updates months ago.

Friday, September 25, 2020 at 7:42 PM - Response #151

Me too. Duplicate comments on profile page.

Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 10:11 AM - Response #152

The duplicate killer script evidently went on vacation last night. A comment posted under a message at 6pm (and edited a minute later) created a duplicate that was still there this morning at 9am. For whatever reason,that comment was not mentioned in a notify message last night or this morning.

Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 1:04 PM - Response #153

'I Feel Your Pain' LOL

I posted an announcement late yesterday afternoon, and email notices of a new announcement have not been sent yet.
Maybe the two need to get together. LOL

Edited 10/07/20 1:04 PM
Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 9:59 AM - Response #154
Server Error - 502.png

Began noticing 'SERVER ERROR ...502 WEB" in lower right of our Site screens. What's up and should I expect/be looking for operational issues?

Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 6:46 PM - Response #155

Duplicates continue on Whats New comments and Profile comments. This has been ongoing at least two weeks

Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 3:26 PM - Response #156
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 1.12.55 PM.png

I sent a private message yesterday on Nov. 2, 2020. Her reply back to me was a duplicate message. Can you tell me how to fix it? I have pictures of the email received and picture of message on our website. Both the website and email show duplicate messages.

Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 7:02 PM - Response #157

We deserve another update Jessica.

What's the latest regarding CC's attempts to remove the duplicated posts problem? We're still plagued with it but CC don't seem to be making any progress. How many months is that, now?! Are we ever going to see an end to them?!

Monday, November 9, 2020 at 7:18 PM - Response #158

I really do not have the time to go through all the profiles and delete the duplicates. Can't we FIX this please.

Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 11:32 PM - Response #159

Brad Switzer wrote:

We realize some sites are still seeing duplicates after the most recent updates. We are monitoring individual sites and have made several adjustments to the code over the past few days.

If you are experiencing a duplicates after today please check this post for updates or subscribe.

Hi Brad,

Since we are between reunions, and our last one was 8 years ago, I haven't paid much attention except a couple times per year.

Yesterday I went to our site Central83.com and it only had Chinese Characters. I tried to login to my classnames.net site and I see it is a different site now. I called them and they said my domain was sold to Go Daddy. I didn't receive a notice of the change and I believe I prepaid for 10 years. Last time I paid was 2013, so should still be 3 years left. I secured a new domain Central83reunion.com, but if I can find where Central83 is, that would be most helpful.

Then on June 12, I got the email about adding the IP address in the A Record. Only problem is, I don't know who has my domain now or if it is really gone.

Are you able to help me with this? I am totally confused and I want to make sure I got the domain for the amount of time for which I paid! I found it very odd I received nothing to alert me to renew.

Cathy Plotnick
REmember me?!?!?!?! One of the founding reunions back in 2008!

Sunday, November 15, 2020 at 11:08 PM - Response #160
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 9.07.06 PM.png

Brad,

I continue to get these duplicate messages from comments made on our site that show up in our classmate's emails. This has been going on a long time. Can you give me some idea when this problem will be fixed?

Jack Holt

Monday, November 16, 2020 at 9:34 AM - Response #161

Brad, Jessica and anyone else who may be around still. Why are we not getting answers to our questions? Your treatment of your customers continues to be appalling. Looks like we're still at square one.

Monday, November 16, 2020 at 11:19 AM - Response #162

The programmers are coordinating with programs and experts who analyze the code and full system structure. This issue has obviously been a bit complicated to resolve, however, we are still approaching it from multiple angles and testing all possible solutions. Some adjustments have reduced but not fully eliminated the issue. We continue to work toward fully resolving it.

Jessica

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 6:17 PM - Response #163

Thanks, Jessica.

Tuesday, November 24, 2020 at 2:06 PM - Response #164

Please advise me on the status of correcting the duplicates that are being posted on "What's New", please.

I had a classmate that informed me also that he has some of his postings inadvertently disappear in "What's New" as well.

Thank you.

Bruce Hills

New Topic Reply   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Previous Page
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.