ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

not logged in as administrator

Forums: Class Connection Bugs
Created on: 02/14/18 05:46 PM Views: 1193 Replies: 9
Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 5:46 PM

When I click on one of the Admin topics, such as Edit Site Pages, I go to the In Memory page and select a classmate. I click to post and then I get the message sorry you are not logged in as an administrator.
When I got into the home page it recognized me and also gave me the Admin tools (available only to admins).

This has happened several times over the past three weeks. I operate 7 sites and it seems to happen to any of the seven.

Am I overlooking something for the login? I always click on "remember me".

Help.......
Jack Champaigne

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 7:39 PM - Response #1

As I recall, if you log into multiple sites on the same browser, you will get that message. I use a different browser to log into a different site to avoid that issue. [I'd have to verify, so maybe it's some combo here, but I have gotten that message when I forget.]

Or use a different email address. That works too. If you use gmail you can give yourself an alias email address. I think you can have 10. I have the commercial version that allows me 30 per main user.

Do not know how other clients work for this, but maybe somebody else can give feedback here.

Typically FF for one and Chrome for the other. Sometimes Edge, Opera, too when I'm making sure everything is working in all of those.

Edited 02/14/18 7:40 PM
Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 11:13 AM - Response #2

Yes, when administering multiple sites, you may want to either use different browsers, or be sure to log out each time. Clearing cookies it a good idea too. I have to log into many sites everyday and I found a long time ago that clearing my cookies often was the best solution.

Friday, February 16, 2018 at 8:19 PM - Response #3

I have always used Safari and did not have this problem until recently (last two months). I don't recall ever having to delete cookies in order to go into any of the 7 web sites I maintain.

Is there any chance that there really is a bug?

I say this because when I log into the site I get the menu choices available only to administrators. Don't I have to be recognized as an admin for those choices?

After I get the fatal message I have to log back in again as an admin and then I get to replace all of the work I just lost.

Could you please review this one more time?
Thanks.
Jack Champaigne

Friday, February 16, 2018 at 8:54 PM - Response #4

I just verified the behavior again using two different sites and each has a different email address, but same domain for email. Been that way for years.

The "admin choices" are there because the browser cached the data. IOW, it shows the menu only because it thinks that's currently "active". It's when you try to do something for only an admin that the message appears.

I can't test current Safari because I can only go to IOS 9. Could be a change in Safari or maybe you were not attempting something only allowed for admins, like doing an Edit and Save. IOW, you have to actually do something (not just browse choices) to get the message.

I agree it's a bit odd.

Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 2:25 PM - Response #5

I too have seen this message, but only under specific circumstance where I'm sure it's because of a stored cookie set. So I'm a little confused as to how the problem described happens.

I don't use "Keep Me Logged In" and always log out, so there's no 'left over' cookies to cloud the issue. But I can get that error message when I'm in one site and then open another site in a new tab. Logging in to that new site replaces (at least some of) the cookies from the first site, and everything works as expected. If I go back to the first site's tab, the screen is still the same, cached in the browser - with the admin menu choices displayed. But when I click on one of them, the system 'knows' from the current cookies that I'm no longer logged in as an admin on that site. The cookies it needs to reference were replaced by the second login. And of course, I can go back the the second site's tab and continue normally there.

Sooo... as well as I think I understand how that happens, I can't see a way that logging into a second site would show admin menu items but not allow you to use (or continue to use) them. At that point, the most current login would have updated the cookies as if that newest login was the only valid login - unless, of course, you had logged into another site somewhere along the line or logged back in to the first site again.

Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 3:02 PM - Response #6

I went a bit further to see the variation when logged into 2 sites as an Admin. You can browse and open the various "admin" only pages, however, only 1 will let you change anything. IOW, I can get "Edit Site Pages" on both and even open the Editor. But only 1 will let me save.

So maybe be an admin specific cookie setting that can't be shared across sites on the same browser? Could be fixed.
(I could look at the cookies set - but don't think CC will change this since I think I mentioned this years ago.)

Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 9:54 PM - Response #7

Interesting.... I get the error message as soon as I click on one of the admin menu links. But maybe that's part of how FireFox handles the difference between temporary and permanent cookies.

Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 10:25 PM - Response #8

I was testing in Chrome. Yes, Firefox is different. Weird since the message is coming from ClassCreator, so the code diverges there. I do have different "cookie" settings between the two though.

Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 10:26 PM - Response #9

Funny thing is that when I exited (not logged out) from the other site by just closing the tab, the tab that gave me the "not admin" message started working without me having to log in. Odd and odder.

P.S. don't know if it matters, but both sides are RD. (just in case)

Edited 02/18/18 10:28 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.