ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Birthdays in What's New

Forums: Class Connection Facebook App
Created on: 08/31/14 09:08 AM Views: 3446 Replies: 41
Sunday, August 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM

The way that birthdays are displaying is odd. It lists the birthday person and then a message saying "It's my birthday today" as though that person posted it. This is not generally something people would boast about. Can this wording be changed to not appear as though the person, himself, is posting it?

Sunday, August 31, 2014 at 5:48 PM - Response #1

Cool

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 at 1:00 PM - Response #2

We will look into handling this in a slightly different way. Smile

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at 3:45 PM - Response #3

I just had a question about one of those, and I agree with Barbara. One of those "It seemed like a good idea at the time..." things? A small wording change would be appreciated.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at 4:44 PM - Response #4

It was changed yesterday.

Thursday, September 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM - Response #5

The Birthday notices are now worded in the following way: It's Name Of Classmate's birthday today.

Thursday, September 4, 2014 at 1:14 PM - Response #6

Perfect!

Monday, September 15, 2014 at 8:31 AM - Response #7

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

The Birthday notices are now worded in the following way: It's Name Of Classmate's birthday today.

It's back. Sad Just viewed a What's New with an entry from yesterday that said "It's My Birthday..."

Monday, September 15, 2014 at 11:55 AM - Response #8

Now that you mention it, we had a birthday on Saturday (Robert R), and nothing showed up in WN. Did get the notify on Saturday morning though.

Sunday, September 21, 2014 at 8:49 AM - Response #9

It's still there. What happened?

Sunday, September 21, 2014 at 10:51 AM - Response #10

Barbara Fiore - Plainedge '64 Web Administrator wrote:

It's still there. What happened?

Barb, Are you saying that you're still seeing the same old wording for new birthday announcements in What's New? Or that the old announcements are still there and didn't change?

If it's the new announements, that's interesting, since I haven't seen ANY birthday announcements in What's New since the 'fix' - although we've had three since then.

Sunday, September 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM - Response #11

A new birthday posted in What's New today. "Today is my birthday"

Sunday, September 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM - Response #12

Thanks for the update. Confusing and frustrating here, since I used to see the birthday posts in WN with the old wording, and now don't see any.

Monday, September 22, 2014 at 9:51 AM - Response #13

John if you see any more Birthday notices NOT post to WN let me know please. Should be good here.

Monday, September 22, 2014 at 12:14 PM - Response #14

Thanks Brad. I should know tomorrow when our next birthday pops up.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 at 8:23 AM - Response #15

Birthday today (Eugene M) did NOT show up in WN. The notify this morning was normal, received at 5:25 showing Gene's birthday and one other birthday coming up 7 days.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 at 5:20 PM - Response #16

Will check with the programmer.

Thursday, September 25, 2014 at 10:31 AM - Response #17

Thanks. I'd hoped that they'd found something, and that it would include the reasons for some of the other strange symptoms.
I'll be 'off the grid' and on vacation for a week, but will check when I get back. As I recall, there are other birthdays coming up by then.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 at 12:12 AM - Response #18

Still no birthday's showing up in WN here.....

Monday, October 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM - Response #19

Brad Switzer wrote:

John if you see any more Birthday notices NOT post to WN let me know please. Should be good here.

Another missing birthday in What's New today. Susie S.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM - Response #20

Another missing birthday in WN today. William E. Got the notify as expected, and it shows at the top of the birthday list.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 at 2:19 PM - Response #21

Confirming that I got a What's New birthday announcement today with the updated wording.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 at 2:45 PM - Response #22

Good to hear.

Monday, October 27, 2014 at 1:19 PM - Response #23

OK.....now - this is really strange. I have several people posted comments on an n Memory page for Philip DeJohn on 10/25, 10/26 and 10/27. When I look at what's New in Class Connection, below is what see for each of them...in this case Richard posted the comment on Phillip's In Memory page. Very odd (and wrong).

Monday, October 27, 2014 at 6:06 PM - Response #24

I also still see "My Birthday Is Today" in the Class Connection What's New page for this other site of mine. As recently as yesterday.

Monday, October 27, 2014 at 9:00 PM - Response #25

Is this still occurring for you now?

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 at 12:31 AM - Response #26

As long as you're looking in this area again, last night I made changes in two profiles, checked the box which said it would Notify xxx people and show the profile as updated in Home Page box, and saved. It did both of those as instructed, but there was no 'profile updated' entry in WN. In fact, I haven't seen one - except for uploaded photos which seem to work - since Oct 5th. And I know there have been changes - by me and by members - with notifies, and entries in the home page box since then.
I also moved two people to In Memory over the weekend which would seem to me to be an obvious candidate for a WN entry. But that may not be implemented yet.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 at 7:38 AM - Response #27

Brad Switzer wrote:

Today's birthdays look good this morning on both of my Class Connection pages. One of the recent In Memory comments on my Plainedge site now appears with the correct wording but with yesterday's date (it was really 10/27). The other two now do not appear at all in What's New.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM - Response #28

1) I'm going to guess this didn't fire due to the admin making the update on behalf of the classmate rather than the classmate him or herself. I'll have to check with Programming later. Speaking of which, do we really want this to fire in this case? Would the entry on What's New state the classmate himself made the update, or would it say something like John Ralph updated somebody's Profile on behalf of that somebody? This could get a little odd. Thoughts John? What are the names of the two classmates and what did you update? Not all fields in Profiles trigger an update.

2) What are the names of the two people you moved over to In Memory? Once I know that I can get with Programmer and determine why these names didn't make What's New.

John Ralph wrote:

As long as you're looking in this area again, last night I made changes in two profiles, checked the box which said it would Notify xxx people and show the profile as updated in Home Page box, and saved. It did both of those as instructed, but there was no 'profile updated' entry in WN. In fact, I haven't seen one - except for uploaded photos which seem to work - since Oct 5th. And I know there have been changes - by me and by members - with notifies, and entries in the home page box since then.
I also moved two people to In Memory over the weekend which would seem to me to be an obvious candidate for a WN entry. But that may not be implemented yet.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 at 9:06 AM - Response #29

I think I know why the date issue happened. We started caching the latest version of the page and only update the cached copy when something qualifies causes the update. If this doesn't make sense that's ok, we're going to switch to showing actual post date only (as opposed to something like "38 minutes ago) thereby allowing the dates to always be correct and the initial What's New load to pull quickly from the cached (yet fully current) copy.

Sorry what other two entries are you looking for in What's New specifically? If you tell me exactly what you're expecting to see there, or possibly saw there, I will figure out what's happening and if necessary we can make a tweak.

Website Administrator wrote:

Brad Switzer wrote:

Today's birthdays look good this morning on both of my Class Connection pages. One of the recent In Memory comments on my Plainedge site now appears with the correct wording but with yesterday's date (it was really 10/27). The other two now do not appear at all in What's New.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 at 3:22 PM - Response #30

Brad Switzer wrote:

1) I'm going to guess this didn't fire due to the admin making the update on behalf of the classmate rather than the classmate him or herself. I'll have to check with Programming later. Speaking of which, do we really want this to fire in this case? Would the entry on What's New state the classmate himself made the update, or would it say something like John Ralph updated somebody's Profile on behalf of that somebody? This could get a little odd. Thoughts John? What are the names of the two classmates and what did you update? Not all fields in Profiles trigger an update.

2) What are the names of the two people you moved over to In Memory? Once I know that I can get with Programmer and determine why these names didn't make What's New.

1) As of early last week, when I uploaded a photo for two classmates who previously had no photos (and made it their master). WN said "Classmate Name added a photo to gallery" and displayed the new photo. And I got a notify saying that 2 classmates - both named - had updated their profile. I'm happy with that, and so were they. The only drawback with photos is that anyone responding to the notify email by going to those two profiles would not see any hint about what had been 'updated' if they weren't already familiar with that profile. There's currently no highlight for new photos.

On the other hand, I got a notify Monday from a site where I'm a guest member, saying the admin had updated her profile. In fact, there had been no changes to her profile. She had just uploaded photo's to another classmate's profile gallery. This set of problems/inconsistancies appears to be a moving target since that had been reported earlier, and I thought it had been fixed. And, as evidenced by my actions detailed above, last week it appeared to be.

2) If, in fact, In Memory moves are supposed to show up in WN, I suspect the underlying factor here is that both people (Pat D and Richard B) had not joined. Still, they were 'new' moves to In Memory and I did get a notify for both. An entry in WN showing their name as a link would have taken anyone who clicked on it to their In Memory post - as it does on the class profile list or the home page's Profile Update box when I force a profile update for people moved to In Memory - even if they haven't joined. That's probably redundant, but we have people who hit the home page and don't bother to log in or go any farther if they don't see anything new.

As far as what most people would expect a What's New page to display, it seems to me that anything (except for private messages) that generates a notify should show up in WN. Since some things always do, some things sometimes do (and sometimes don't) and some things never do, I'd be very hesitant to make WN our default landing page. From my perspective, WN does not appear to be ready for prime time yet.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 at 5:17 PM - Response #31

Right, the yellow shading system only shows what is new vs. the most recent viewing. So if you you add photos and somebody who has never been to the Profile clicks the NM link they're just going to see the whole Profile. I think that's ok though. After all everything there (including the new photos) is all new to them.

Are you stating that if an Admin adds a photo to a classmate's profile on behalf of that classmate, a NM goes out that the ADMIN'S Profile had been updated? That sounds highly unlikely. I'm currently on the road and haven't tested this but I suspect we'd hear constant complaints if this were actually the case. More likely the admin did something on his/her Profile to trigger the update.

You're saying that a non-joined classmate, when moved to In Memory, is triggering NMs as they should, but NOT posting to What's New page. Correct? Again I'll check this when I'm back at my desktop I just want to be sure I'm absolutely clear on what the reported issue is here.

Regarding the last statement I understand but that leaves me little to go on. Most things in Notify Me should make the What's New page. There have been numerous updates here and I'm sure there's a tweak or two left to make. The most helpful thing is if you have specific content that was posted somewhere that you feel should have made What's New please give me the exact content in question. Only then can I determine that it correctly didn't go to What's New (and maybe we want to change that) or that it should have gone to What's New but didn't and something needs to be tweaked. Again as you stated anything going out on NM should also be replicated over to What's New. If there's anything else left that isn't we'll get that changed.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 at 8:17 PM - Response #32

My concern is that when someone adds a photo and you get a "Profile Updated" notify, and use that link to go there, there's absolutely nothing that tells you a photo (or which photo) has been added - other than the fact that you don't see any new comments or highlights anywhere else.

Yes, that's exactly what I saw and what I was told had been done. The admin added photo's to a member's profile photo gallery and I got a notify that the admin had updated her own profile. When I used the link in the notify email to go look at her profile, there were no highlights, no new comments, nothing new in the QA entries, and no new photos there. When I asked, she told me what she had just done, and that she had not made any changes in her own profile.

Correct. Moving two non-joined members to In Memory triggered a notify for each as it should, but nothing showed up in WN.

As far as what does or doesn't show up in WN at times, or used to but isn't lately, profile comments seem to consistantly show up, and birthdays are back now. But for example, look at my "Profile Updates" box on the home page. Ignoring the two entries for the non-joined members I forced when I moved them to In Memory, the three for Ruth, Rita, and Jim who uploaded photos (where it worked as expected), I don't see a Profile update entry in WN for anyone since Bill on 10/05.

Conversely, WN shows a profile update for Nancy T on 10/04, which does not show up in the Profile Updates on the home page - and I did not get a notify for that one, whatever it really was.

Also, I do not see any hint in WN (beyond a profile comment welcoming him) that a new member (Sam S) joined, and then updated his profile several times over the next few days. And there's no entries in WN for Message Forum posts which generate notifies.

Couple those with some minor things like WN entries which say I added a page when I update existing pages, or which say someone "added a photo to a gallery" when it could have been any gallery but was actually to their profile gallery with an added photo, people notice and I get questons. WN still needs a tweak or two. Or three.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 at 10:42 PM - Response #33

Any new items including photos and videos need to have the yellow shading.

Ok got it regarding Profile update issue. I believe Scott was testing this earlier today but I was out of the office. I will follow up.

Will also follow up on In Memory issue.

Will follow up on other noted issues. I'm sure you know this but the system scans for Profile updates every morning. So if somebody joined and then made updates, or if somebody makes updates and then makes more updates all in the same day, only one record of this will ever go out. Anything in the series of updates needs to be shaded.

John Ralph wrote:

My concern is that when someone adds a photo and you get a "Profile Updated" notify, and use that link to go there, there's absolutely nothing that tells you a photo (or which photo) has been added - other than the fact that you don't see any new comments or highlights anywhere else.

Yes, that's exactly what I saw and what I was told had been done. The admin added photo's to a member's profile photo gallery and I got a notify that the admin had updated her own profile. When I used the link in the notify email to go look at her profile, there were no highlights, no new comments, nothing new in the QA entries, and no new photos there. When I asked, she told me what she had just done, and that she had not made any changes in her own profile.

Correct. Moving two non-joined members to In Memory triggered a notify for each as it should, but nothing showed up in WN.

As far as what does or doesn't show up in WN at times, or used to but isn't lately, profile comments seem to consistantly show up, and birthdays are back now. But for example, look at my "Profile Updates" box on the home page. Ignoring the two entries for the non-joined members I forced when I moved them to In Memory, the three for Ruth, Rita, and Jim who uploaded photos (where it worked as expected), I don't see a Profile update entry in WN for anyone since Bill on 10/05.

Conversely, WN shows a profile update for Nancy T on 10/04, which does not show up in the Profile Updates on the home page - and I did not get a notify for that one, whatever it really was.

Also, I do not see any hint in WN (beyond a profile comment welcoming him) that a new member (Sam S) joined, and then updated his profile several times over the next few days. And there's no entries in WN for Message Forum posts which generate notifies.

Couple those with some minor things like WN entries which say I added a page when I update existing pages, or which say someone "added a photo to a gallery" when it could have been any gallery but was actually to their profile gallery with an added photo, people notice and I get questons. WN still needs a tweak or two. Or three.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM - Response #34

John can you point me to an example where it said a photo was "added to a gallery" when what really happened was the classmate was just adding a photo to his or her own Profile?

Thursday, October 30, 2014 at 4:08 PM - Response #35
WN-Rita.jpg

Sure,
This one is in our WN page (renamed to Recent Activity) and is the 4th entry down from the top.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 at 4:33 PM - Response #36
2Notifies.jpg

Brad Switzer wrote:

I'm sure you know this but the system scans for Profile updates every morning. So if somebody joined and then made updates, or if somebody makes updates and then makes more updates all in the same day, only one record of this will ever go out.

I hear you, but what I think I heard does not match what I see - unless you were referring to Once Daily notifies or some process which populates What's New. I get an Immediate notify shortly after each profile update and as I just mentioned in another thread, I got two Profile Updated notifies for the same person yesterday about an hour apart. See attached. And as far as WN, I haven't seen a profile update (except for photo uploads) in WN since 10/05.

Friday, October 31, 2014 at 12:36 AM - Response #37

Sorry, the morning script is only looking for Profile Updates for people who have that option marked as "Once Daily" under Notify Me.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 at 12:00 PM - Response #38

The problem with birthday announcements failing to show up in What's New was finally fixed (at least on our site) two weeks ago (#21) - but today it appears to be 'un-fixed'. No announcement this morning in WN for Dottie C, although she shows up in the Birthday box on the home page and I did get the expected Notify email.

I'm sure you understand how frustrating it is to report problems, finally see then addressed, and then see the same problem pop up again two weeks later. And it doesn't help when I happily tell a member that the problem they reported has been addressed and resolved - and then have to respond to their "What happened this time" question. "I'll report it again" did not seem to offer much comfort.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM - Response #39

John I think ya just missed this one... See: http://screencast.com/t/G4IrjTkH. Dottie made your What's New page at 4:30 a.m. Make sure you have your What's New toggle set to display items by most recent so all items from the same day are grouped together.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 at 6:34 PM - Response #40
WN Time Sort.jpg

Brad, Maybe I missed it if it posted farther down for some reason. I didn't look since "Most Recent" is the default. It is indeed there now, along with quite a few more comments today but there was nothing there at the top dated any later than 11/04 - at 10:55 this morning.

"Most Recent" is the default, and I run CCleaner every night as part of my PC's shutdown routine so there's no problem with cookies, browser cache or Java cache confusing the symptoms. There must be some delay which affects the posting to WN at times. The time shown on that birthday post is six hours earlier than when I looked and it was not there yet. Other items today seem to post almost immediately.

And unless I'm missing something, there is something going on with the way WN is built, displayed, or cached. The time order in the top post is out of sequence. The top entry shows it was posted today, almost exactly two hours ago. On Bill's profile, it says it was posted 3 hours ago. And it has to have been posted earlier than the commment underneath which also says two hours ago in WN and in the profile. But... there are posts farther down showing that they posted an hour ago - and for some reason, don't show a date. (see attached)

Edited 11/05/14 6:36 PM
Wednesday, November 5, 2014 at 7:02 PM - Response #41

This has to be a cache issue. Maybe Birthday simply isn't making the cached page until some other item updates the cache. I'll find out. If that's the case that's a simple fix.

Checking on timestamps.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.