ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Messages shown on What's New

Forums: Class Connection Bugs
Created on: 02/28/14 08:35 AM Views: 1872 Replies: 29
Friday, February 28, 2014 at 8:35 AM

It seems that if a classmate posts for ex: a birthday greeting on a classmates profile. It shows up on Class Connection's "Whats New"

I am concerned that by posting on a classmates profile, there is implied privacy. Perhaps, there should be some form of disclaimer that posting on a classmate's profile is similar to posting on a facebook wall.

Sunday, March 2, 2014 at 10:32 AM - Response #1

It's a great question Charlie, so I'm glad you asked it. There is implied privacy indeed. This is of course a very important issue.

Class Connection takes into account all privacy settings, just like Class Creator does. Let's look at a couple examples that can happen on Class Creator:

CLASS CREATOR

1) Charlie's Profile is restricted to classmates only. Brad Switzer posts a Happy Birthday Message on Charlie's Profile. Now any classmate who wishes to visit Charlie's Profile can see the message. Anyone from the public, however, attempting to visit Charlie's Profile is not allowed in, thus cannot see the Happy Birthday Message.

2) Charlie's Profile is open to the public. Brad Switzer posts a Happy Birthday Message on Charlie's Profile. Anyone on the entire Internet can now see this message, per Charlie's privacy choices.

CLASS CONNECTION:

1) Charlie's Profile is restricted to classmates only. Brad Switzer posts a Happy Birthday Message on Charlie's Profile. The Happy Birthday message is replicated on the What's New page. All classmates viewing Charlie's Profile, or viewing the What's New page, can see the Happy Birthday Message. Anyone on Class Connection using the Visit Another Class feature can NOT see the Happy Birthday Message. Not only can they not get into Charlie's Profile, the Happy Birthday Message is NOT replicated on the What's New page because this viewer doesn't have permission to see that content. ONLY content permitted to the viewer is seen anywhere on the entire app.

2) Charlie's Profile is restricted to only classmates from the same high school.

3) Charlie's Profile is open to the public

I won't spell out 2 and 3 because it's pretty clear what they will do. The bottom line is nothing is replicated on What's New, Photos Tab, Videos tab etc. that the viewer doesn't have permission to see already.

Sunday, March 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM - Response #2

Good point. I created another profile and set it not to show on class list. I done this so I can logon on another computer(which I use as a second system for another Facebook login) That way I can see what others see without being an admin, I'm still logged in on my first system as admin.

Sunday, March 2, 2014 at 9:41 PM - Response #3

Brad. Thanks for taking the time to give a great explanation to answer my question. But now lets flip it around from the perspective of the writer.

While looking at Bobbie Sue's profile I become inspired to tell her how beautiful she is and that I always had a crush on her.....(rest of narrative unnecessary)

Edited 03/03/14 10:12 AM
Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM - Response #4

Heh. Got it! Enter the need for a blocking tool. It's coming. Smile Clearly right now you MUST allow all of your own classmates into your own profile. Well, if one of them is a stalker, that's not too desirable is it. The system has always worked this way, but arguably, a blocking tool would have been helpful a long time ago. Better late than never.

Friday, August 1, 2014 at 1:20 PM - Response #5

Our classmates comments are not showing up on our What's New Page. I don't see that there is a way to turn that feature on, as we would like that.

I see from your email today that you have provided a way to turn the feature off, but how do you turn it on?

Friday, August 1, 2014 at 2:11 PM - Response #6

Ben,

When I click on your WHAT'S NEW link, I see messages from classmates. Are you saying you don't see these messages?
I see the following messages:

Carol said : Hi everyone (1 week ago)
Jacqueline said : Love that hair (6 days ago)
Carol said;: I know so big ha ha we can look back and have a laugh (5 days ago)
Bonnie said : You're even more beautiful today and I didn't think that was possible my dear friend. (4 days ago)

Larry said .... (3 weeks ago)
continued....

Friday, August 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM - Response #7

?I saw those too, but there should be many more. For example, if you go to http://www.roosevelt66.com/class_profile.cfm?member_id=6275581, which is the In Memory page for Larry Nova, you will see none of those messages are posted in What's New.

Or if you go to Norman Scheinberg's page, http://www.roosevelt66.com/class_profile.cfm?member_id=6275653, you will see a number of posts he made, which do not show up.

Friday, August 1, 2014 at 4:15 PM - Response #8

There was recently some discussion (and some confusion) over which specific items to replicate over to What's New. Several tweaks were just made to the What's New page (it's somewhat of a work in progress still).

Not overly concerned about past items now, but rather how the page functions from here. From this point forward if there's something you feel should have been replicated over to What's New, and it's not, let us know and we'll check it out.

I'm sure there's still a few more things out there that we'll ultimately elect to also pull into the feed.

Saturday, August 2, 2014 at 8:45 PM - Response #9

How about Message Forum posts for sites which have an active Message Forum being used as a community bulletin board?

Saturday, August 2, 2014 at 9:12 PM - Response #10

I agree with John about including the Message Forum posts in What's New. That is where most of our comments are posted.

Saturday, August 2, 2014 at 9:43 PM - Response #11

Got it. Several suggestions and revisions are coming in regarding What's New. We are categorizing all of them and will make some improvements based on what people are asking. The What's New page will be a work in progress for awhile until all Admins and Classmates are satisfied with how it works.

Monday, August 4, 2014 at 9:05 AM - Response #12

Brad, how about making the "What's New" feature available for sites that don't use the "social media".

Bob

Monday, August 4, 2014 at 9:11 AM - Response #13

Hi Bob,
On your site, look under EDIT PAGES. You should find What's New at the top of the list.
Smile

Monday, August 4, 2014 at 9:55 AM - Response #14

Gwen, I have seen it before, but I thought in an earlier response that Brad had said it would only work for those sites using social media. Did I misunderstand Brad's earlier comment?

This is the response I mentioned above:

Quote:

Sunday, April 6, 2014 at 12:47 PM - Response #12

Feature works only with social profile format.

Camille Norton wrote:
Is this feature available under the old format or only under the new social media format?

Edited 08/04/14 10:00 AM
Monday, August 4, 2014 at 10:13 AM - Response #15

It works for all sites, Bob. I do not have TAP on Class Connection yet and have it live on TAP. When/if posts in the Message Forum are added, it will have more to it.

Another thing, I had a page called "What's New" on all my sites that I input updates or new items on the site for members to check when they visited. So I changed the names of the two pages:

"New on TAP" (in place of what I had as "What's New")
This is the updates and new pages/items on TAP page.

"Recently on TAP" which is what I named CC's What's New Page. I may/may not keep that.

Why did I change the name? The page name threw me... I had it on three sites, it is where I go to see the new posts on CC's Help Forums... and it was somewhere else. Too many "what's new" pages for me.

Make it live... see what is on it. Then choose to keep it or close it for awhile longer. Let us know... I'm always interested in what others do on their sites and why. Yes... the why can change my thinking! Wink

Edited 08/04/14 10:35 AM
Monday, August 4, 2014 at 3:31 PM - Response #16

The What's New page has nothing whatsoever to do with social media or the Class Connection Facebook app.

FYI you can see your What's New page here even if it's not activated: http://www.sanfordcentralhigh.com/class_whats_new.cfm

Your What's New page is very interesting! I'd definitely turn it on. Just click Edit Site Pages and place a checkbox in the active column for What's New. Then all of your members will be able to see the page.

Monday, August 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM - Response #17

Thanks Brad. I guess I didn't understand your earlier post.

Will things be added to What's New, like: photos added to a gallery; someone makes adds a reply in a Forum; someone is added to In Memory; a change is made to the Home Page; etc?

Bob

Monday, August 4, 2014 at 5:48 PM - Response #18

Yes. Those types of things fall under the "Recent Class Activity section.

Whats's New is somewhat of a work in progress and likely will be from now 'till Christmas or so. It's growing and changing based on what people are asking for.

If you see something on your site that you feel should also be replicated on What's New let us know -- there's a good chance we'll be able to work it in.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 at 7:15 AM - Response #19

Brad, I turned What's New on and left it overnight. This morning I checked to see what it showed. The first entry is 2 weeks old (this is what you saw yesterday that you thought was very interesting); the next entry is 5 weeks old; followed by an entries from 9 and 13 weeks ago.

Then, changes that were made yesterday are shown, followed by more changes made weeks ago.

I don't understand why the recent changes were not shown first followed by the older stuff.

Also, from what was shown, the changes made to the photo galleries yesterday were not shown, nor were the changes made to the message forums last week. Photo galleries and message forums are how we communicate most of the information to our class.

Bob

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 at 11:36 AM - Response #20

Bob, the What's New page is divided into 4 different sections:

Recent Classmate Messages
Recent Class Activity
Classmates I'm Following
Classmates I'm Not Following

All 4 of these sections list events chronologically independently from the other sections. We have received plenty of requests to do away with the 4 sections altogether and simply list the entire page chronologically, which I think we're going to do given the # of people requesting this and/or confusion over how the page works (much like what you just expressed above). A simple chronological listing of all items may be easier for people to follow and understand. We'll have to give some basic configuration controls, because all users won't want all sections showing (for instance many may wish to turn off "Classmates I'm Not Following"). We'll be working on these items over the coming weeks.

Message Forums is currently not aggregated onto What's New but again is something we can work in as well. Got that one on the list. If you see anything else you think should be aggregated over to What's New let me know.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 at 12:07 PM - Response #21

Thanks for the explanation Brad.

I agree that you should do away with the 4 different sections as this is too confusing to try to explain to our classmates. I'm a firm believer in keeping everything as simple as possible.

As far as adding other things to What's New:
- In addition to profile changes:
- Adding photos to a gallery,
- Any changes to a site's pages

I don't think minor things like changing one's birthday that was initially entered incorrectly, or phone number should be included.

Bob

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 at 1:15 PM - Response #22

I'm fairly certain contact info changes will not be included as they are considered private and not viewable by site members --- only admins can access that info.

Thanks for the addition of the Message Forum being included, Bob.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 at 4:45 PM - Response #23

New What's New structure is now live.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 at 5:00 PM - Response #24

Thanks for the update, Brad!

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 at 5:53 PM - Response #25

Brad, please tell us what is included in this first version. Thanks, Bob.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 at 6:09 PM - Response #26

Included are the same things from the last version:

1. Classmate posts (made from top of What's New or top of their own Profile -- both are the same thing)
2) Recent Class Activity (items that Notify Me feature tracks)
3) Classmates you're following
4) Classmates you're not following (unless you click the tab to show only those you're following)

Although there's various additional minor tweaks we made to how all of this works, the main thing is we eliminated the 4 headings and now ALL items from all 4 sections are in one neatly organized chronological feed. The entire thing is much simpler and far easier to understand. Essentially, it's a very common social media feed now, much like you'd see with a Facebook News Feed or any other type of social media feed. While that may not break new ground, the benefit is this presents info in a fashion people will feel comfortable with and in most cases already understand how to use.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 at 7:38 AM - Response #27

Brad, what happens if I check or don't check "Show comments left on Classmate profiles"? I played with this some yesterday and this morning and do not see any difference.

Thanks, Bob

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM - Response #28

Whoops that's just an oversite. As quickly as we added that we need to remove it. Fact is each classmate him or herself needs to determine how they're going to read the What's New page. So as you can see in the current setup you can turn off displaying classmate's your not following if you wish, and you can also toggle the page to display by most current evens or most popular.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 at 1:23 PM - Response #29

Thanks Brad. Makes sense now. Bob

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.