Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

New Members via existing "missing" classmate

Forums: Class Connection Facebook App
Created on: 06/09/15 11:42 PM Views: 1190 Replies: 8
Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 11:42 PM
Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 8.39.52 PM.png

(This refers to my other class website
http://www.classcreator.com/Palo-Alto-California-1975/class_index.cfm)

This week I have had two classmates join who weren't listed on our "missing classmates" list. In both instances they appear to be able to join using another person's name on the missing list. Not sure if they are doing this on purpose or if the website is flawed somehow.

Attached find an example of the email I got showing they had joined - replacing an existing classmate's name.

The first time it happened I sent an email to that person asking how he was able to do that and he had no idea. I haven't heard back from the second person yet.

Edited 06/10/15 12:27 AM
Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 11:42 AM - Response #1

Right now your profile list is not restricted, so anyone can join as any name (not just missing). Once joined they can change the name as shown. (IOW, this is how it works.)

The only way to stop this is to restrict ALL the names (regular and missing) but that discourages people from joining. Normally not recommended.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 3:50 PM - Response #2

Since the Missing list has to be open to let people join, anyone can hijack a name on the Missing list, join, change the name, fill in their choice of profile answers, etc. But with Admin Verify on, they can't post anything or see locked pages until you verify them. Admin Verify lets you see those, and reset that id (and name) back to what it was to begin with - before anyone else can see it. And before any "New Member Joined" notify goes out.

With Admin Verity turned on, you can catch - and verify, by any data entered - if some non-classmate hijacks a name and revert that id back to what it was.
For classmates who joined by using someone elses name, you have two choices - once you verify who they really are. You can revert that id back to what it was to start with, add the new person's name to the class list, and ask them to join again using their own name. Or... leave the new join as is with the changed name and recreate the one that they hijacked.

Without Admin Verify on, you're pretty much limited to the second option.

Either way works, but you may have to do some clean-up if yearbook pictures had been added for the member who was hijacked.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 6:03 PM - Response #3

They had to MODIFY the name from Timothy Evans, so they knew what they were doing. Most of my classmates if they don't see their name, they go through "Contact Us"

Did they put an address/ phone number. If they didn't if might not a real classmate. Verify, Verify, Verify

Edited 06/10/15 6:05 PM
Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 7:09 PM - Response #4

How do I do that?

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 7:46 PM - Response #5

Since I have Admiin Verify turned on, I can look at what they've entered before I decide to complete their registration by clicking on Verify in their profile. I see if the email appears valid and it may even match the city/state they entered. Not much help there if it's a Gmail, AOL, Hotmail account though. But I can send them a private email at that address and see if it's valid.

Unless I've just tracked them down and asked them to join, I'll usually call them at the number they entered and chat a while. They may - or may not - remember me, but a short chat which includes a few friendly school specific questions like "Do you remember Alice" will almost always trigger a memory. Alice was our schools administrative assistant and the principal's right hand - and pretty much ran the school. A few casual questions will quickly weed out anybody who was not a classmate.

And yes, there's instructions on our home page telling them that if they don't find their name in the Missing list, use Contact Us and we'll add them.

Edited 06/10/15 7:49 PM
Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 8:29 PM - Response #6

Sorry - I meant how do I turn on Admin Verify?

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 9:06 PM - Response #7

It's a Preferences option - called New Classmate Verify. You'll probably want to check the DO NOT ALLOW... button, and check the "Mark all classmates who have previously joined as verified" box.

Edited 06/10/15 9:07 PM
Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 10:13 PM - Response #8

I'd wait and see if this is going to be an ongoing problem. We've not had any issues.

A LOT simpler to administer and friendlier when a person gets instant access. There are no secrets hidden anywhere on our site (yet Cool ).

Judy L. Haccou wrote:

Sorry - I meant how do I turn on Admin Verify?

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.