ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Connect Church Site to an Existing FB Page

Forums: Class Connection Facebook App
Created on: 11/10/17 02:05 PM Views: 516 Replies: 8
Friday, November 10, 2017 at 2:05 PM

We have a church website and also a Facebook page that was created before the website. I know nothing about FB. If I click the Class Connection Facebook on the Preferences page what happens? Will I be able to connect to our existing FB page? Will it create a new FB page?

I have looked for a tutorial on this and have not found anything except the link on the Preferences page and that did not answer my questions. I have looked at lots of Class Connection Facebook App Forum posts but have not found anything to answer my questions.

Since we are not a class, will all of the references to the word "classmate" be changed to "Member"?

If it creates a new FB page will I be able to transfer data from the existing page to the new one?

I need some help here and direction.

Thanks,
Jim

Friday, November 10, 2017 at 3:53 PM - Response #1

Jim Persing wrote:

Since we are not a class, will all of the references to the word "classmate" be changed to "Member"?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, you can make this change on the Preferences page of your site.

Edited 11/10/17 3:53 PM
Friday, November 10, 2017 at 4:13 PM - Response #2

Not sure how you will find your Church Site the interface wants in step 1, so you might need CC help to actually establish the connection. Once there:

Class Connection is pretty much YOUR page inside of FB, but not actually FB. IOW, it's not a new page in terms of content. Just your page inside an iFrame. Some of the 'look and feel' is changed to fit inside of FB. And you have no control over that Evil or Very Mad

Caution! Not all content can transfer to FB. All scripts and iframes, etc you may have must be https. FB platform does not allow http references here (images are OK).

There may be other considerations. Really depends on your html. Simple HTML, no problem. More sophisticated, might need work.

Just create a Class Connection link and see. It's pretty much automatic. You don't have to do anything - except test out all your pages to make sure they all work.

Friday, November 10, 2017 at 4:17 PM - Response #3

Forgot to answer if you can connect to your existing FB page. By coincidence pretty much the same question asked by someone else. Here's what I wrote:

On YOUR page -you can create links to FB groups. If the group is closed a person has to be logged into FB to see the page.

Clicking the link will transfer the user to the FB page. Select the type of transfer is set by the LINK option in the Editor: Not Set, NewWindow, popup, etc,

So the answer is YES. Sort of like FB you close the window with the FB group and go back to the main page where you started.

Friday, November 10, 2017 at 4:25 PM - Response #4

And last, you ARE on FB (IOW, pretty sure you have to be a FB user with an account and logged into FB), so you'll see the normal FB links on the top of page to the right.

Creating an account on FB may be an issue for some users. Question

Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 2:08 AM - Response #5

Hi, Jim.

FC is correct in changing "Classmates" to "Members" on the Preference page.

As you wrote you know nothing about Facebook, I suggest you simply add links to each first.

1. On your home page, do as Jack suggested - add the fact there is a Facebook page with a link to it. Those who are on Facebook will use the link with ease. Members who are not on Facebook may never be interested in the link. Of course, you will need the URL of the Facebook group page.

2. Suggest to the admin of the Facebook group page that they add a post to the page and PIN it to the top giving members access to the website with one click. (Pinning a post on a Facebook group page is the same as making a forum post 'sticky' on our sites and here.)

You will have that quick fix while you get Class Connection synced.

You may have thought of this or have it in place. When helping others, I lean toward simple steps first.

If Jack shared this I missed it -- you will need a Facebook account, which is free, in order to make the Class Connection.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 12:02 PM - Response #6

Thanks, Gwen. I previously changed the "Classmates to Members" in our church CC website but I didn't know if that also carried over to FB. I don't want anything there that refers to classmates.

I already have a link in our footer to our FB page but it is only a link -- there is no connection to our CC website. I still don't know what happens when I click that little box on the preferences page. You mentioned getting the Class Connection synced -- how does that happen? How will all of this affect the current FB page?

CC has made some changes in our church site because we are not a class site. I don't know what effect that will have on our FB site. How are member privileges connected between the two?

Maybe I need a FB expert to help me with this.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 2:40 PM - Response #7

As I noted above, the content on FB is exactly the same as your regular site. It is literally the same content - with the cautions I noted. Anything you change on your site is instantly the same on Class Connection.

Click the Class Connection link (create a FB account first). You will get a screen that asks for a "School" with a "year". Your site as named shows up so use whatever "year" was picked for the site.

Page shown is an IFRAME inside of a FB shell. It does NOT connect to anything else on FB . No more than any group site on FB connects to any other group. That only makes sense once you are on FB and learn how it works. Right now it probably sounds like mish-mash Smile

Class Connection on FB is sort of like a group site. There are two types of group sites. Open and Closed. In Closed groups only members can view your site. Open groups are visible to anyone. Your FB church site is an 'open' group. Your CC site on FB should work just like on regular CC. Should show to anyone and the rest via login etc.

Friday, November 17, 2017 at 11:06 AM - Response #8

"... a Facebook expert..." Thanks for the laugh, Jim.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.