ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Get error message when trying to connect to Class Connection

Forums: Class Connection Facebook App
Created on: 03/29/14 06:33 AM Views: 2775 Replies: 4
Saturday, March 29, 2014 at 6:33 AM

HELP! I just activated Class Connection yesterday morning for our class according to directions in email Class Connection Classmate Notification Letter dated 3/19. Yes, I did watch all the videos. I used the Email the Class to inform the classmates who have joined the sight (about 33%). I re-typed the lengthy letter myself because I could not get highlight and paste to work, but that enabled me to tweek it a bit to personalize. Another classmate forwarded my invite message to all the class from her private email class list.

NOW, this morning, when I clicked on Class Connection link under my Member and try to join myself, I got the ERROR message - User opted out of platform. The action attempted is disallowed because the user has opted out of Facebook platform. I rechecked the simple process to activate twice and nothing changes.

Many Fern Creek Class of 62 classmates are meeting for breakfast in Louisville this morning (if any wake up in time after the Louisville/Ky NCAA game ended after midnight!). I'm up obviously, but maybe I'm too tired & not thinking straight. I know I should have tried to connect myself before I invited the whole class, but Using Class Connection is on the agenda at the breakfast meeting.

Why am I, the site admin, not able to join CC? I need answers soon! I'm in Florida, the gal who has to face the group this morning is obviously in Louisville. She is going to be totally stumped. Only one classmate visited our site yesterday, so that tells me I may not be the only one having a problem.

HELP! Beverly

Saturday, March 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM - Response #1

The good news is, I don't believe this is happening to anybody else.

I Googled the error you cited and get many results like this one: http://allfacebook.com/the-facebook-platform-kill-switch-what-it-means_b14673

My guess is you've inadvertently triggered the platform kill switch. No idea if you just did this recently or possibly long ago. Whatever the case, you need to turn it back on under your Facebook Privacy Settings.

While Class Connection shares no personal information with Facebook whatsoever, normal Facebook settings must be in place to use any apps at all.

Saturday, March 29, 2014 at 4:51 PM - Response #2

That's exactly what I did! I checked my privacy settings and finally located the word apps. Being one of the few remaining dinosaurs who doesn't own a smart phone, I didn't think I'd ever need any apps, thus I turned it to OFF. I turned it back on and tried again to connect. Of course it worked like a charm! Very Happy

Now I have another problem. FB welcomed me as the CC administrator, then gave me a "to do" list. I completed the first one update personal information - address, ph #, etc. Something I did, ended that session before I could even click that I had done the task. Now I can't figure out how to get back there to even see what else I was supposed to do. Can you direct me back there? Question

Saturday, March 29, 2014 at 6:42 PM - Response #3

Under your photo over on the right you see your name under the photo with the little flyup arrow. "Next Steps" is on your main navigation until you have dismissed alll items .Since you're coming from Class Creator you've probably already completed most of these anyway, but a review certainly never hurts. Smile This list is primarily intended for new administrators.

Saturday, March 29, 2014 at 7:19 PM - Response #4

Thanks! I just have a gut feeling that Class Connection is going to really spark my class into more communication.
We're a very small class - 132 graduates.I didn't discover Class Creator until AFTER our 50th.

I appreciate all of your help, especially the quick response. Very Happy

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.