ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Website Design Issue

Forums: Class Connection Bugs
Created on: 04/30/15 11:49 AM Views: 879 Replies: 1
Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 11:49 AM

A design issue is starting to become a problem. As the amount of information is added to some of the sections in our class website, the scrolling bar gets smaller and smaller. It also becomes more difficult to navigate with. Not only is it a problem for me during my attempts to edit various sections, but classmates are starting to complain as it becomes more difficult to navigate through the sections. I'm not sure why, but this seems to be the only website I have encountered that does not have up and down arrows, in addition to a scroll bar. The music playlists have this feature, but the sections don't. Any chance that this could be added? It is not an issue in those sections with limited posted information and photos, but becomes an increasing issue in those sections with extensive information and photos.
Thanks.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 12:51 PM - Response #1

The scroll bar behavior described is normal. As a page get more and more data the scroll bar selector reduces in size to visually show where one is relative to all the data.

The design solution is to split a long page (starting at about over 3 pages. The benefits from splitting into different pages are many. This makes your editing much simpler and gives better web response per page.

You can do this in several ways:

1. For a lot of images, use the gallery feature vs putting all the images on one page and then click through the images.

2. Create different pages and then use the nested link feature that CC provides. Very easy to use. Create a main link (don't put any data in there) and then drag the page(s) with a slight offset and those "offset" links will appear under your main topic.

For example, our "50th reunion pictures" has nested links.

3. You can also manually link pages from one page to the next. Our "Bothell History" uses that concept

You can also combine these as applicable. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.