ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

An Alumni Joined the site thru Class Connection Question

Forums: Class Connection Bugs
Created on: 07/15/14 12:10 PM Views: 1428 Replies: 21
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I had a classmate join the site 4 days ago saying she used Facebook class connections. I do not have that activated on our site. So, How did this happen???
I just clicked thru the link on the classmate's profile page and saw the webpage on facebook..I do not want my picture showing on that page! I don't want my CC site attached to FB!!! Why is it???

Edited 07/15/14 12:31 PM
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 4:33 PM - Response #1

What is her first initial + last name so I can investigate.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 5:36 PM - Response #2

K. McLaughlin

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

What is her first initial + last name so I can investigate.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 6:05 PM - Response #3

Anyone can install a Facebook app. It's public. None of your site data is shared with the app though (unless you want it to be). In fact, if anyone goes there and joins the app (for your school and class anyway) the app simply refers them to your private web site. It will refer anyone to your private web site unless you deliberately activate the Class Connection app.

I'm not sure what you mean you saw your web site and picture on Facebook. Unless you activate the app and join yourself it's impossible. If you joined without activating the app you'd see your picture, yes, but you'd just be referred to your private web site the same as K McLaughlin was. There's no way this individual can participate with your classmates from Facebook unless you the admin allow it. I can't think of any good reasons to disallow it, and the app is now seeing nice steady growth and usage, but there's plenty of reasons people may want to run a strictly private site with no Facebook access, and that's exactly how you've got yours set up now. Everything is working properly.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 6:45 PM - Response #4

When I clicked on the link for the FB App on K.'s profile page..it popped me into FB..on what I guess is the access to our private site...my pic is on that page saying Webmaster Darlene. It should show our school pic or mascot picture not a picture of me. I don't like that my pic is there...kinda of stupid since it's a HS site, not mine.
It's hard to explain what I am seeing. I don't know how to take screen shots..or I don't have a program to do so.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 at 3:17 AM - Response #5

While viewing this page please press your print screen key. Print screen is a physical key on your keyboard. Then open up any graphics software, or Microsoft Word, and just press Edit, Paste (or Control-V, same thing). Then either attach a graphic of the screen shot here, or attach the Microsoft Word file. Once I view exactly what you're seeing I'll be able to see if there's anything happening here that shouldn't be. Thanks.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 at 4:38 PM - Response #6

Brad..I sent you a private email with the screen shot in it..don't know if it worked or not.
I found a program called GreenShot..they does a nice job I thinkQuestion...First time I used it. Wink

Monday, July 21, 2014 at 9:48 PM - Response #7

I also have noticed on a classmate profile page it says they joined via Class Connection Facebook app. This classmate joined in 2009 not recently. This seemed to happen after they uploaded new photos to their page. I do not have the Facebook app activated. Since they did not join via Facebook
I would prefer this not show on their profile page.

Monday, July 21, 2014 at 10:07 PM - Response #8

I agree...I don't want other alumni to see that either. Altho we did add another missing classmate.

Monday, July 21, 2014 at 11:33 PM - Response #9

Can I get the classmate's name? I'd like to see what you're referring to.

Kathy Iverson wrote:

I also have noticed on a classmate profile page it says they joined via Class Connection Facebook app. This classmate joined in 2009 not recently. This seemed to happen after they uploaded new photos to their page. I do not have the Facebook app activated. Since they did not join via Facebook
I would prefer this not show on their profile page.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 8:31 PM - Response #10

The classmates name is Richard Kazar.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 11:48 PM - Response #11

Now that's definitely odd. And certainly not correct. Programming will investigate this and we will respond back here.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at 4:28 PM - Response #12

Thanks for checking into this problem, I will look forward to your response. Also, why do profile pictures from Facebook automatically show up on our profile page as our profile picture when the class connection app is not activated?

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at 5:43 PM - Response #13

Can you give me an example of this as well? i.e. a direct link to a Profile where the Profile master photo is coming in from Facebook? I can't imagine how that would even be possible but I'll certainly check it out if you can show me one of these.

Saturday, July 26, 2014 at 10:07 PM - Response #14

I just found something which may tie into this, and it's really getting creepy.

We don't have the What's New page turned on yet, but I do Preview it from time to time just to see what it currently looks like and whether the concerns I've seen are being addressed. I just found a What's New entry which says my co-admin (Sue D) joined from Class Connection last week. Having talked to Sue, I have several problems with that.

First, we don't have FBCC turned on in Preferences and never have. And as such, I'd expect (and strongly prefer) that no data interchange or traffic with FB takes place on our behalf - beyond the possibility of linking a FB user to our Contact Us if someone wants us to turn it on, or wishes to join our site. But I have seen my browser 'waiting' for FB (and Twitter) pages - even while in the forums - so there is evidently something we don't see that is interfacing with those sites behind the scenes.

Second, my co-admin says she did not join from FB, and has never installed the FB app. That suggests the possibility that someone on FB did find and install the app, found our school, saw the member list, and picked a name. We've done a lot of things to ensure that our site is pretty well locked down as far as any personal data is concerned, and that our member list is not public. So that's also disturbing.

And third, except for that one line in our inactive What's New page which I just happened to see, there is absolutely no evidence anywhere I can find about that 'join'. Nothing in her profile, nothing in the edit classmates list, no admin notification... Nothing.

More creepy? In the What's New entry for my co-admin, part of the "joined from Class Connection" text was a link. So I tried it. That took me to FB and the Class Connection app where it showed my name, my school, and my master photo. I get that I was logged into my site at the time, and there were cookies to be read. But... I strongly doubt that my master photo was in a cookie, so the app must have found and read my profile. With FBCC not active in Preferences, that's far more than I want and expect Class Connection to be able to do on my site.

Saturday, July 26, 2014 at 10:46 PM - Response #15

First: I can assure no data is being shared with Facebook if you don't turn on the app. In fact it's not even shared with Facebook even if you do turn on the app for that matter. The only thing that could even possibly be construed as data sharing is Notify Me going through the Facebook globe, but that's really not data sharing either. All data is right here on our servers protected the exact same way regardless of whether you have the Facebook app on or off. It's really a misconception that the app is "on" Facebook. It's really not. It's right here on our own server that Facebook has no access to whatsoever.

Second: It's another instance of the same bug reported above. Programming will fix this. A quick scan of your Mange Classmates area shows that not a single user of your site has joined Class Connection, which is what you'd expect to see here.

Third: Right. Because it never happened. It's really just a wording error. I have no idea why the wrong wording is appearing here but Programming will figure it out and squash the bug.

Fourth: If you actually had the app active and clicked the "Class Connection" link under member functions the exact same thing would have displayed. It just makes it easy to join. i.e. you're correct, of course we know who you are. You're logged in. So rather than having to select your school, your year, merge your accounts etc., we're able to allow you to immediately join. You couldn't possibly be logged in to your class site without actually being you so "easy join" is a far better option here.

Again, all of this really boils down to wording that shouldn't have shown up. We simply need to fix that. Unless you have any other concerns this is really a very minor issue. Annoying and misleading, indeed though, I understand.

Edited 07/26/14 10:49 PM
Saturday, July 26, 2014 at 10:59 PM - Response #16

OK, I get that the What's New entry was a mistake that reflected something that didn't happen and will be resolved. Not sure how that applies to the previous post about a photo being moved though. Again, if we have FBCC turned off, I'm not comfortable with FBCC functions appearing to happen - no matter where the app lives.

[Edit] Having re-read what you said, I do understand why I saw what I saw. But... if that app really lives on CC servers, then it can see that a site has FBCC turned off and should respond with an appropriate message - and maybe a link to the site's Contact Us - instead of initially appearing to work as if FBCC was active.

Edited 07/27/14 12:59 AM
Sunday, July 27, 2014 at 11:44 AM - Response #17

Still need this from Response 23: "Can you give me an example of this as well? i.e. a direct link to a Profile where the Profile master photo is coming in from Facebook? I can't imagine how that would even be possible but I'll certainly check it out if you can show me one of these."

The system is set up now to work with the app so yes it's possible you could see a Facebook URL in the status bar somewhere. What you're seeing may not even pertain to the app at all though. Our own internal stuff, like recently created sites and their corresponding thumbnail, automatically pull into www.facebook.com/classcreator, which is our on Facebook page having nothing to do with the app.

I understand your concern but to be perfectly frank there's just nothing here... You can leave the app inactive, go to apps.facebook.com/classconnection and join the app yourself, and you'll see that the app just refers you to your official private site (assuming you've got the app turned off). Thus you're simply not going to find any data sharing there. And again, even if you have the app turned on, there's still no data sharing going on there. The app simply doesn't work this way.

Facebook doesn't have one shred of data happening on Class Creator sites other than what we pass through to the Facebook globe notification icon. And that's just notify me updates -- it doesn't amount to any private data sharing whatsoever.

Edited 07/27/14 11:46 AM
Sunday, July 27, 2014 at 5:45 PM - Response #18

Here is the link to my profile picture. I don't remember adding this picture to my profile. It is the same picture I have on Facebook. facebook.https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3images.classcreator.com/7829/001/1194653/Kathy-Sandison-Iverson-PROFILE-1974-Eastlake-North-High-School-68159434-90B1-1C17-D1BE58D0E7A1C1FE-LG.jpg

Sunday, July 27, 2014 at 7:10 PM - Response #19

Did you used to have a different Profile picture? Or are you saying you always had the master photo blank? I see that you populated the Then and Now photo slots.

If you never joined Class Connection there would be no possible way for us to grab your Facebook photo. The reason for that is you (yourself) have to grant the Class Connection app permission to access your Facebook Profile (it's a built in function of Facebook apps). There is literally no way whatsoever we can grab your Facebook Profile image and use it somewhere else without your authorizing/allowing it.

The only thing I can even possibly think of is you had to have added this Class Creator Profile image yourself in the past, and possibly forgot that you did?

Edited 07/27/14 7:11 PM
Sunday, July 27, 2014 at 7:47 PM - Response #20

Thanks for the information, I know I added the then and now photos. It is possible I added the photo and forgot, I am not sure.

Sunday, July 27, 2014 at 10:43 PM - Response #21

I'm going to copy here the note the programmer just left on this task:

--->
Joining was the default action for saving classmate activity. Other actions include adding photos, comments, etc. It's possible the routine got called without specifying an action and setting off the default action. I did 2 things here:
1. If app is not enabled, the join message will never show anywhere on the class site.
2. Changed default action to NULL instead of joining.

** CLOSED BY PROGRAMMER **
-->

If anyone wants that translated into English I'll ask him at the office tomorrow. Smile

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.