ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

Facebook Pre-Beta Reporting and Comments

Forums: General Discussion [ANNOUNCE]
Created on: 07/02/13 10:47 AM Views: 19179 Replies: 340
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM

If you are a pre-beta Facebook app volunteer we are ready to get you linked up with the app. Please follow these instructions:

1) Copy the web address of your timeline. For example, mine is: https://www.facebook.com/bradswitz

2) Go to this link: http://findmyfacebookid.com/ and copy your personal Facebook numeric ID.

3) Click the Contact link above and send in your Facebook ID.

We will link the pre beta testers up this week. Remember this is a NON LIVE copy of the database you're using. Thus anything you do will not impact your live web site.

Use this thread to post comments, observations, bugs, etc.

Thanks so much to all who volunteered their time to help us with this!

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM - Response #1

OK Brad I will go through this real slow.
I did what I think you wanted me to do.
Located my "Facebook web address" https://www.facebook.com/cav.alier
I then click on the link you provided: http://findmyfacebookid.com/
I entered my "Facebook web address" in the space provided on screen and hit enter. I was given a numerical answer: (deleted for privacy) with the statement: Success! If your name is Cav Alier, then we found your numeric ID. Which makes no sense to me, but what does!

Now that all the above has been said and done. Is that it? Do I get an email? Do you get an email? Are you looking for my Facebook Web address or the numerical number?

Oh, and we have not even started the pre-beta testing?

Kudos,
...CAV...

(2:15 pm July 2nd) I will follow blindly Mike and Ruth. My Facebook Web Numerical Address is (deleted for privacy) ;O)

Edited 07/02/13 8:25 PM
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 1:40 PM - Response #2

I'm hung up at the same spot in the directions: "Click the Contact link above and send in your Facebook ID". I don't see a clickable link in this email, that takes me to a page where I can enter or send my ID. Question

Edited 07/03/13 12:04 AM
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM - Response #3

I believe the link Brad is referring to is "Contact Us" toward the top of the page. That way you keep your Facebook ID Number private.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 3:34 PM - Response #4

Kudos F C. Where were you 2-1/2 hours ago?

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM - Response #5

I'm still confused. Contact Us link on top of what page? This one? B

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM - Response #6

Bonita Lyon wrote:

I'm still confused. Contact Us link on top of what page? This one? B

Yes the Contact Us link on any page of our site. Just keeping the IDs private.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM - Response #7

Ok, I think I got it. Smile Thanks!

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 11:33 PM - Response #8

Hi Brad.

I was experiencing the same sense of not understanding what to do because I didn't see the link you mentioned. So I just ended up sending that I.D. Number to you using your email link under your company logo on the left side of this forum thread. Later I received a message from Jessica that she would forward it onto the programmers.

Edited 07/02/13 11:36 PM
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 11:42 PM - Response #9

Deb,
On Facebook... in the blue line at the top of the page, you see your profile photo, your name and home on the right side of that line. CLICK ON your name. That takes you to your Facebook Timeline. In the address line of your browser, you will see the web address of your timeline. Copy that address.

Then go to the link Brad provided to paste that address in, which will then give you your FB ID number.

Hope this helps. Smile

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 1:28 AM - Response #10

Well at least we tried, Deb... off this thread. Hopefully CC will have a way to find it. Checking back tomorrow.Cool

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 8:13 AM - Response #11

Try anything you see listed here.

Edited 07/03/13 8:14 AM
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM - Response #12

Cut a couple of quick walkthrough videos this morning for our pre-beta testers:

Play Video 1

Play Video 2

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM - Response #13

Done!

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM - Response #14

After watching both videos, I have just a few questions:

1. With all the changes FB seems to make without our knowledge and or choice, LOL, will it affect this CC "link"? Or will any FB changes via FB staff interfere with our regular CC school sites?

2. Can you edit pages via FB and will the changes appear on the regular school CC site as if we edited the old way?

3. Can your FB friends see this link even tho they are not class members?

Looks great!

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM - Response #15

Since the beta test is using a different copy of the database (one that is about 3 months old) the info that you see may be old content and any changes to that content will NOT be reflected on your live site. At the moment, the two are not connected. However, in the future, these will be connected and changes made via either your site or from the app will be reflected on both the site and the app.

As of right now, you FB friends will not be able to join unless they are approved sandbox testers. Down the road, that will not be the case.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM - Response #16

No nothing Facebook does is likely to affect the app. We control 100% of the app.

Yes, anything you do via the app will be reflected on your web site. They are one in the same. For instance, if you edit your home page content in the app, and then you view your home page at your private web address, you will see any changes you made from the app.

Your Facebook friends can join the app under their own school and class year. Whether they can see your class or not is up to you. You will be able to share your site with only your own class year, your entire high school, or all schools.

Thursday, July 4, 2013 at 1:35 AM - Response #17

Confused So...even tho CC will have an app on FB, FB staff changes will not ~ ever ~ force CC changes on our sites? They [FB] change things around more times than they change their underwear! Well, I would hope they change their underwear more, but you get the idea, LOL. When a change happens people rant and rave on their FB walls. That's the last thing I want is to discourage classmates with yet even more changes on our CC site. This needs to be a win-win for all! In other words, we have several classmates on FB and, for whatever reason, will not register on CC. If I can nab them via an app thru CC that would be great!

Thursday, July 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM - Response #18

That's the plan! Smile

Will EVER is a little strong, we control everything inside the app. Facebook can't possibly control anything there. They could only change the way in which the app is allowed to interact with Facebook. I don't foresee a time when Facebook changes something that causes you to have to change your site itself. I couldn't put a 100% label on that though.

Thursday, July 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM - Response #19

Brad,
Does this Class Connection preclude that all participants must be on Facebook to be able to use it? With the age of me and my classmates, probably MOST of them are NOT on Facebook and there are still a number that do not have emails or computers. (My Co-admin is not on Facebook.)(Those that are of the latter use a grandchild's help to use our website).
Just wondering before I get into the pre-beta testing.
Steve

Thursday, July 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM - Response #20

Brad,

Just wondering when we will begin Pre-Beta testing? Since you have my facebook information, etc... how will we know when it begins? What will be the process? Will you send us the CC facebook app to launch and away we go? I was just wondering when we are set to begin and what will be the process?

Thanks.

Regards,

Mike

Saturday, July 6, 2013 at 2:09 AM - Response #21

Michael Morin wrote:

Brad,

Just wondering when we will begin Pre-Beta testing? Since you have my facebook information, etc... how will we know when it begins? What will be the process? Will you send us the CC facebook app to launch and away we go? I was just wondering when we are set to begin and what will be the process?

Thanks.

Regards,

Mike

I would like to know that too because the one video mentions something about an email we are supposed to receive but I thought I read something in these forums about other procedures. It seems a little confusing. It said we would hear by Friday if we are "selected". If that's the case,it's kind of a "bummer". Would have liked to have been involved. If I still can participate, that would be cool. But does our site need to have all of or pages opened up, without password protection or classmate member only access.

Saturday, July 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM - Response #22

Yes you have to be on Facebook to use the Facebook app. Anyone not on Facebook should continue using the regular site access. Either route hits the same data. The Facebook app will have a few extra things you can do, such as more easily inviting others, but by and large you're sharing in the same world from either access point.

I'm going to send the invite Monday (had mentioned Friday in videos). Several people have indicated they are away for the 4th of July weekend. So we'll start it on Monday. When you log into Facebook you'll see a notification pending that you have been added as a Class Connection tester.

Saturday, July 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM - Response #23

Great, Brad! Thanks for the info and enjoy your weekend. Don't forget your sunglasses. Cool

Monday, July 8, 2013 at 10:37 AM - Response #24

Got the notification from Brad on Facebook but since I don't have a cell phone I'm unable to complete the registration process and it appears I'll be unable to be a tester. Sorry.

Monday, July 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM - Response #25

I received the notification and accepted it, F C. It appears that is all we can do at this moment. The only option is to go "Back to App Dashboard". Until there are further instructions, I am waiting. Smile

Monday, July 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM - Response #26

I am totally confused!
Register as a Developer?
Website?
Apps on Facebook?
Mobile Apps

If I register as a Developer, it wants my phone number? which number land line or cell? I thought the FB app was going to used on the computer.

Brad, you are dealing with an idiot here!
You have to understand ... if you handed me a hammer and I never had seen a HAMMER I would grab the heavy end.

Awaiting further instructions/guidelines/steps/information.

Kudos,
...CAV...

July 8 5:45pm EST
I took a leap of faith and entered my cell phone to receive a text with the code to enter. I entered the code and then skipped the next page (I was afraid to check anything on that page) completely. And now FB is telling me that I am a Developer now. Go figure!!! I guess I'm the Blind Squirrel who found an acorn. Now the problem - What do I do with it?

July 8 6:00pm EST
If all else fails go back to the video #1 above. Watched video. Typed in "Class Connection" on my FB site per video. Class Connection for ClassCreator is not there ???

July 8 10:35pm EST
I was able to enter Class Connection in my FB per Video#1 and find the "Class Connection app". Clicked on app then typed in School and Class, BUT I received this message: "Sorry, this feature isn't available right now: An error occurred while processing this request. Please try again later." ... Key the Music ;o

Edited 07/08/13 10:44 PM
Monday, July 8, 2013 at 7:34 PM - Response #27

I accepted the invitation. Thanks Brad! Now, as per the registration process, it says we are asked to say what our title will be and other profile information or we can skip this part. Another portion of the process asks if we will accept the "Sandbox" mode. I don't know what this is. Would appreciate some procedural guidance since I don't know if you want us to this mode as CC testers.

Monday, July 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM - Response #28

Sorry for the late response. As bad timing would have it I'm on a brief vacation with my family (Niagara Falls) and will be returning to the office in 4 days. Will be checking in daily from the road though.

The app is NOT for a phone. It's for the computer, although most phones should be able to hit it too. After you register as a tester (developer) you should be able to type "Class Connection" in your Facebook white search box (just like I did in the video) and then click into the app and join. Is that not happening for you?

Bear with me. I've never added official "testers" to a Facebook app until right now so this is brand new for us too. You should be able to go into the app just like I did in the video though. If that's not happening let me know exactly where you're stuck in the process and I'll figure it out.

Edited 07/08/13 10:51 PM
Monday, July 8, 2013 at 11:01 PM - Response #29

See my edited post above. As of 11pm EST I still could not log in. I received the same "Sorry" message. The Music was for additional affect.

Kudos,
...CAV...

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 2:38 AM - Response #30

Well some good news. Was able to begin testing. The bad news was Facebook seems to require all CC pages to be open for all to see or they post a message saying the page is private without showing any page content. So if a class wants to use the Facebook integration, do they now have to stop using the privacy preferences Class Creator has for their use on the CC site? Perhaps a compromise or alternative solution could be devised? (Ex: Please go to our website and join it (at www. etc) to view this page's content.) At the moment, as a tester, I can only see the private page content using CC even though I am also a member of the FB class app. Lol. Hope you understand what I mean.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 6:11 AM - Response #31

More bad news - I'm still stuck at trying to Log In/Join Class. I am still getting the Message: "Sorry, this feature isn't available right now: An error occurred while processing this request. Please try again later."

Gary were you able to enter your School and your Class on the Class Connection App and then click on "Join Class"?

When I try to do this I get the message above.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM - Response #32

Same msg with me;

Sorry, this feature isn't available right now: An error occurred while processing this request. Please try again later.

at 8:30AM central time, Tuesday

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM - Response #33

Well, I was not able to find my site. I did find my school but many of our classes attended both schools until they did split as two four year schools. Though I hesitated to choose the Junior & Senior year school for my class, I did. It says I am not on the list. Now that is a good one. I must be working undercover. Cool

This brings me to ask:

1) Does the app look for our name or does the app look for our email address. If it looks for the email, that would be why my name is not found. I use a private email on Facebook and my site email for my class.

2) Are we to see our sites listed?

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM - Response #34

Whoa... one of my classmates, D. Christopher, is shown as the Class Administrator. Really? Wait, I did have her as an admin when she added photos to the site. So I removed the admin rights. Now Class Connection is telling me: "Sorry Gwen Reinboldt, we cannot find your name on the class list. Please use the form below to contact the Class Administrator to have your name added to the list. You will then be able to join your class."

So what am I to tell myself to do... seeing that I am on the list? Wink

Or is it not picking up Root Admins? <--- that is a guess.

Edited 07/09/13 10:50 AM
Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM - Response #35

Put in a note to Programming about the "sorry" message some are referencing. Whatever that is we'll get it fixed and get you in there.

Gwen and others who are already in: We have added a vertical "Feedback" tab on the right hand side of the app. Any issues just click the Feedback tab as you go and report them. For instance Gwen, report the issue about admin access. I've got this set up to go directly to programming to quickly resolve any reported issues.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM - Response #36

Gary: No, the exact same privacy preferences still apply. In fact shortly we'll be adding a third, allowing you to select pages to be viewable by only your class year, all classmates from your high school, or all users on Class Connection.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM - Response #37

Thanks, Brad. I wasn't sure that was working. I will send via feedback now.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 at 3:05 PM - Response #38

Hi Brad and all pre-beta testers!
Thought I would let you all know here, I hit a few snags, but am now a confirmed tester of the app Class Connection.

For those of you hitting snags, here's what I did.

1. First, from my facebook page, I received message from Brad about being added as a tester for Class Connection. I simply clicked on that message and was taken to a page to register as a facebook DEVELOPER.
2. On the facebook Developer registration page, first you have to agree to terms, policies, etc. One checkbox. Checked it.
3. Next page was register as a developer... with several things to answer about myself. First box is a drop down where you check YOUR ROLE and TESTER was one option. I checked TESTER and did not complete any more of the questions, as I was uncertain of specific answers. So I simply left the page. (This was KEY to completion).
4. Then I returned to my facebook page, clicked again on Brad's message about becoming a tester and this time it took me back to the developer page where it said I have a pending developer request.
5. Clicked on the pending developer request (without answering any other questions on the page) and it automatically took me to a page telling me I have been confirmed as a tester. Gave me option to now click on the APP for Class Connection. I clicked on the APP for Class Connection.
6. Now on the APP page of Class Connection... I entered my school name, found correct one in the drop down and selected it. Then entered my class year from the drop down menu. Then clicked on JOIN the CLASS button.
Next window showed my name and asked me to confirm that was me. I clicked on my name, then was required to enter my password to my class site. I entered my password and new window opened with big green message block telling me I have now joined my class. YAY!

Hope these steps help anyone that is hitting a snag.
Thanks!
Marla

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM - Response #39

Congrats, Marla! You made it further than me.

I am still getting "Sorry Gwen Reinboldt, we cannot find your name on the class list. Please use the form below to contact the Class Administrator to have your name added to the list. You will then be able to join your class."

I went through the same steps as Marla. Now I'm wondering if it may be best to remove me and resend the invite. Who knows?

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM - Response #40

Hah! I made it to #5!!! Shoot...

Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 1:03 AM - Response #41

Marla that was super helpful. Thank you.

Bonita, what happened after #5?

I will provide much better guidance when I return to the office on Monday. To be perfectly honest I assumed the becoming a tester part itself wouldn't come with many snags. I figured using the app itself was where you'd hit the first snags, and of course that's the feedback we ultimately want.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 1:05 AM - Response #42

Gwen is not on her class list... or so Class Connection said it is so. :::frown:::

Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM - Response #43

DEBBIE SCHROEDER wrote:

I can't register. On my 1st attempt it wanted my cell phone number to send me a text message. No message ever came. Two days and several tries later, I got a message that said they had unsuccessfully attempted to send me a text several times and I would now need to do something different.

I don't have a cell phone so I was unable to complete the registration process. You referred to having to do something different after not receiving a text message. Does that something else also require a cell phone?

Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 3:46 PM - Response #44

Brad, Well, I could never get the "Classmate Connection" box. I received the notice that I had been confirmed a tester. I followeed Marlas's instructions till then. I don't see that box anywhereSmile Thanks for inquiring...Bonita

Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM - Response #45

Brad Switzer wrote:

Yes you have to be on Facebook to use the Facebook app. Anyone not on Facebook should continue using the regular site access. Either route hits the same data. The Facebook app will have a few extra things you can do, such as more easily inviting others, but by and large you're sharing in the same world from either access point.

I'm going to send the invite Monday (had mentioned Friday in videos). Several people have indicated they are away for the 4th of July weekend. So we'll start it on Monday. When you log into Facebook you'll see a notification pending that you have been added as a Class Connection tester.

Brad...I never got an invite!

thanks

dave

Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM - Response #46

Debbie & F C,
Not sure if this is helpful or not... but I did not provide a cell phone number, or any number or information other than... the only QUESTION I answered was drop down menu of first question on the DEVELOPER registration page was 'my role' -- selected from drop down list where I chose "TESTER". Then I left (exited/closed) the page which I felt was KEY to my successful registration as in my steps 4 - 6 everything just clicked along. Please refer to my post in this thread above where I list 6 steps and see step #3 and on. Hope this helps! Smile

Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 6:59 PM - Response #47
registration.jpg

Marla Bryan wrote:

Debbie & F C,
Not sure if this is helpful or not... but I did not provide a cell phone number, or any number or information other than... the only QUESTION I answered was drop down menu of first question on the DEVELOPER registration page was 'my role' -- selected from drop down list where I chose "TESTER". Then I left (exited/closed) the page which I felt was KEY to my successful registration as in my steps 4 - 6 everything just clicked along. Please refer to my post in this thread above where I list 6 steps and see step #3 and on. Hope this helps! Smile

I had a step between your 2 and 3 where I was required to enter a cell phone number. The attached shows the first box that popped up after selecting "Register as a Developer" where I agreed to terms. Pressing the continue button got the second box, which is directly below the first in the attached panoramic view of the two screen shots, to verify the account. It appears you were somehow able to skip over this step.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM - Response #48
close up of FB Developer with THREE TABS (no phone verification tab).png

You are correct F C, I do not remember seeing that and in the screenshot I took of the page (attached) I only show three tabs and not four like your picture showed, with the extra one being 'verification - by phone'. Sorry, it is different.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM - Response #49

. . . CAV . . . wrote:

Gary were you able to enter your School and your Class on the Class Connection App and then click on "Join Class"?

Yes except now I have another situation to inquire about, as shown in the next posting of mine in this thread.

Edited 07/11/13 8:10 PM
Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM - Response #50

Without going into much detail, I noticed while "pre beta testing" the Facebook version of our class site that if a class creator page has privacy protection on it, you just see the words "private" or "sorry not available" when you try to look at the page and the contents via FB's class connection. I understand why it is the way it is. But as a suggestion, would it be possible to allow the classmates viewing the page via FB to see the CC content after they join the CC site (by adding a link to the CC site and having the classmate go to the site and actually joining the class creator site)?

(A fellow administrator for our class creator site requested that I ask this question.)

Edited 07/12/13 12:49 AM
Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM - Response #51

Hi Brad,

Didn't realize that there were both Altoona PA and Altoona Area Pa...and I joined Altoona by mistake. I can visit my site at Altoona Area 1970, but it appears that this isn't my site on FB. Can I change my school page?

thanks

dave

Friday, July 12, 2013 at 8:43 PM - Response #52

Sorry 'bout the registration process! I mistakenly assumed that registering as a tester itself wouldn't be an issue. But, I guess that's what pre beta is -- all figuring this out at the same time. Unfortunately I don't at this time know how to answer why Facebook's system itself is not working in some cases (failing to deliver texts, etc.). I'll be looking into that more.

For anybody who's back on the login screen and it's NOT working please do this:

1) Click your Facebook settings icon (gear)
2) Select Account Settings
3) Click Apps
4) Find Class Connection and remove it

Now type "Class Connection" in the Facebook search box again and take it from the top.

Friday, July 12, 2013 at 9:33 PM - Response #53

Well, I tried it even though I was not at the log-in screen. It was worth a try. Still getting: "Sorry Gwen Reinboldt, we cannot find your name on the class list. Please use the form below to contact the Class Administrator to have your name added to the list. You will then be able to join your class."

Sorry I am unable to help.

Friday, July 12, 2013 at 9:53 PM - Response #54

I got a little further tonight ... I did exactly what you said. Deleted the app. Typed in Class Connection again. Went back re-entered School and Class, hit "Join Class" and then I got the message: "Class Connection would like to access your public profile, friend list, email address, photos and videos" I selected OKAY ... with great excitement I waited and waited THEN a second message came up: "Class Connection would like to post to your friends on your behalf." Again I clicked. "OKAY" ... the excitement was almost overwhelming ... THEN a pink message: "Sorry, this feature isn't available right now: An error occurred while processing this request. PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER." The ALL CAPS was my frustration.

I tried and re-tried the above three times before posting this. Still willing to try something else. Awaiting instructions. Kudos, . . .CAV. . .

Friday, July 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM - Response #55

This is what I had to do to get mine to work:

Facebook, GEAR icon,
Manage Apps
At the top was a message, "You have a pending developer request. ". Click on the highlighted text.
It says, "Brad Switzer invited you to become a testers for Class Connection". CONFIRM/IGNORE.
Choose CONFIRM
Message says "You accepted the request for Class Connection sent by Brad Switzer. "
Now I can go to Facebook, "Class Connection" in the search box,
Immediately, I get "If you are any of the Classmates listed below, click on your name to continue. You will be asked to verify your account using the password you use to log into your account at _______School Name_____"

The missing step I have overlooked is to MANAGE APPS, CONFIRM that I am a tester for Class Connection.

Hope this helps.

Friday, July 12, 2013 at 11:58 PM - Response #56

Things are going fairly well with the testing on our class page but if the company staff could take a look at the situation I mentioned previously, when they get a chance, it would be appreciated. Thanks for your time, staffers.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 12:32 AM - Response #57

When Marla and I compared what we saw, it seemed that in my invite on FB (via notifications) the words "Class Connection" and "Facebook Developer App" were links. Here is the full notification request:

Brad Switzer has requested to add you as a Tester of Class Connection from the Facebook Developer App.

Is this the request others received? Just wondering.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 12:39 AM - Response #58

When I click the GEAR icon of Facebook, I see these menu choices:
Advertise
Create App
Manage Apps
------------
Account Settings
Privacy Settings
Log Out
------------
Help

..... If you don't see "Create App" or "Manage Apps", maybe Brad hasn't sent you the email to become a Facebook Application Developer yet.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 12:41 AM - Response #59
invite.jpg

Gwen Corey wrote:

When Marla and I compared what we saw, it seemed that in my invite on FB (via notifications) the words "Class Connection" and "Facebook Developer App" were links. Here is the full notification request:

Brad Switzer has requested to add you as a Tester of Class Connection from the Facebook Developer App.

Is this the request others received? Just wondering.

Yes and "Brad Switzer" was also a link. See attached.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 2:10 AM - Response #60

Brad Switzer wrote:

Gary: No, the exact same privacy preferences still apply. In fact shortly we'll be adding a third, allowing you to select pages to be viewable by only your class year, all classmates from your high school, or all users on Class Connection.

O.K. I understand that the same preferences still apply but still feel unclear about the other things I asked about. Are you saying all classmates who join the Facebook application with not have to join our Class creator website to receive full visual access privileges to our website content, even the private pages? I am really confused now. Can we put a link to our site to have the join our site to receive full access to FB and our CC site. I'm sort of worried that classmates won't join the CC website if they can see the private pages via FB. There ought to be some incentive to make none member classmates using the FB app need or want to join become a CC website member if they are not already. (Sort of like the expression about "getting it from the cow for free". Lol.) Sorry if that is not "appropriate" to say but I hope you see why I'm concerned.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 7:11 AM - Response #61

...CAV... IS ON-LINE AS AN OFFICIAL PRE-BETA TESTER!!!
It only took six days and I lost count of the number of "log in" tries ;o).

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Facebook, GEAR icon,
Manage Apps
At the top was a message, "You have a pending developer request. ". Click on the highlighted text.
It says, "Brad Switzer invited you to become a testers for Class Connection". CONFIRM/IGNORE.
Choose CONFIRM
Message says "You accepted the request for Class Connection sent by Brad Switzer. "
Now I can go to Facebook, "Class Connection" in the search box.

I hate to say it BUT Kyle had the missing step ... You must click on the message from Brad inviting you to be a tester. Then click Confirm. Then click on the statement about being a tester. Then type in "Class Connection" in the search box.

I know this a pre-beta test, BUT six days??? If it was not for Brad and the ClassCreator crew (you too Kyle) I would of stopped trying after Day One!!!

The testing begins!!!

Kudos,
...CAV...

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM - Response #62

1. Class Connection Observation: Click on "Visit another Class" (top right hand corner). Type a letter ... it does not matter ... now select a school ... Down Arrow ... select a Class Year ...Change Class ... Click on CLASSMATES. NONE of the classmates information, especially phone numbers is protected.

2.Class Connection Observation: If you click on PHOTOS every single photo that is on your ClassCreator website (including profile photos) or any other ClassCreator website is available for viewing or downloading.

Brad ... Holy Cow ... I know we are testing, BUT this "FB THING" Is it a can of worms that ClassCreator is fixing to open ... or should I say Is this "FB THING" the flood gates that ClassCreator is fixing to open???

Is ClassCreator going to be spread so thin trying to support the original ClassCreator and then this new "FB THING CLASS CONNECTION"?

As a believer and supporter of ClassCreator since 2008 I am concerned. I look at the trouble I, as an Administrator have had this past week just to get log in as a pre-beta tester. Now I look at the new stuff that I will have to do to set up a "CLASS CONNECTION" Facebook page. I am concerned.

I would like to quote a bright hard working man: "We (I) know most people aren’t computer wizards, so we set out to create a system that was ultra simple to use." (2nd paragraph About Us)

I would like to finish this post with a "KISS" ... "Keep It Simple Switzer"

Kudos,
...CAV...

Edited 07/13/13 9:26 AM
Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM - Response #63

CAV - I was getting the same "Sorry, this feature isn't available right now:" message until last night, that is when I noticed the "Manage Apps" and decided to click on it and saw that I wasn't really a tester of ClassConnection because I hadn't accepted Brad's invitation yet.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM - Response #64

. . . CAV . . . wrote:

1. Class Connection Observation: Click on "Visit another Class" (top right hand corner). Type a letter ... it does not matter ... now select a school ... Down Arrow ... select a Class Year ...Change Class ... Click on CLASSMATES. NONE of the classmates information, especially phone numbers is protected.

This may be because you're working with an old version of the data base for the pre-test. It may have been before the new privacy settings to hide address and telephone number were put in place.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM - Response #65

FC ... I understand, BUT you can access all classmate's profiles and all ClassCreator websites locked or password protected through Class Connection. I understand it is limited data access BUT it is still access. F C your profile is unlocked, BUT A. Austin above you on your profile list is locked and I can see Birthday in June, Spouse's name, # of children and was in Army.

This is my observations.

...CAV...

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM - Response #66

I apologize for having read your initial comment too rapidly and misconstruing what you said. I thought you were looking at data for your own class.

You have indeed reported a serious problem even if confined to just pre-beta testing.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM - Response #67

F C, No apology needed. We are all on the same team.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 3:23 PM - Response #68

3. Class Connection Observation: I made a comment on my Class Connection FB page to Gary (North Tonawanda, NY) to test the comments section of the Class Connection.

Guess What happened? I get an Advertisement for Class Connection. In Summary it says Class Connection - Build an amazing high school Class Web site yourself! www.classconnection.com. Why are we advertising for Class Connection instead of ClassCreator? I thought ClassCreator was our website HOME ... Confusing!!!

Speaking of Advertising - Yep, if you enter the Class Connection FB page roughly 1/5 of the page (Screen width) is Advertisements even though we are pre-beta testing. Another funny thing about these advertisements since we are playing in this "sandbox" (old three month old data format) the advertisement are live and current.

Pre-beta testing ...CAV...

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM - Response #69

Hi CAV,

Class Creator is the host/home of our sites.

Class Connection is Class Creator's app... the 'door' our members may use to enter our sites (enter into Class Creator) from Facebook.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing your experience in pre-beta.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 6:11 PM - Response #70

classconnection.com is owned by Brad Switzer who also owns classcreator.com and classnames.net (+ .org .us variations)

IOW this is the FB "Class Connection" portal (via domain name) you are all testingIdea

(posted while Gwen answered - so let me add a tiny bit that may or may not make this easier to figure out:winkSmile

Domain names could be called "doors" as a metaphor. So when you register your own unique domain name you get a "door" to your class website (CC redirects you to a specific door inside of CC servers).

FB door classconnection is just another domain and programmed (just like CC) to support the FB integration in the technical sense.

Edited 07/13/13 6:23 PM
Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 6:28 PM - Response #71

Gwen, I understand. BUT Why? Why do we need another 'door' (Class Connection FB) to enter ClassCreator? You will be splitting your resources between two websites/layouts/formats/page styles. confusing ... Confusing ... CONFUSING!!!

I would like to use the existing ClassCreator Facebook page and the existing ClassCreator Administrator Forum websites as an example. I for one try to read all the questions and postings that are emailed to me from the ClassCreator Forum, so I can keep up with the latest changes and suggestions for our Class of '69 website. BUT I have only visited the ClassCreator Facebook page a couple times to find changes and suggestions. I don't want my comments or suggestions aired to the FaceBook world.

...CAV...

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM - Response #72

Here's some side comments that Brad may want to address:

www.classconnection is "active", however, if one follows the "join" stuff it hangs up forever. Did the beta have to use this link? If not, I'd disable the join section for now.

The name chosen is very close to almost exactly other names such as class-connection.com, myclassconnection.com and classconnect.com

Most confusing is that there is "my class connection" as a user on FB

https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Class-Connection/103808359718336

I can see a lot of confusion here if people search using "classconnection" for the search term as I just didQuestionQuestion

Edited 07/13/13 6:35 PM
Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 6:46 PM - Response #73

4. Class Connection Observation: Try this if you are a pre-beta tester:

Enter the Class Connection from your FaceBook page by typing in "Class Connection" in your search bar then hit the "search icon". The result is your Class Connection pre-beta test page with advertisements on the right side of the 'apps" page.

Now get out of FaceBook and type in www.classconnection.com. The result is your Class Connection pre-beta test page withOUT advertisements at all.

Just an Observation.

Kudos,
...CAV...

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 7:18 PM - Response #74

If I'm logged onto FaceBook and type in 'Class connection', I get the "my class connection" I showed above.Cool So typing that for a search will eventually -probably- show multiple "hits" when it goes live.

If I type "classconnection" I get MrsSWilliams class and classconnection.org (looks like Brad didn't get that name, just the .com, .net and .us)

The www.classconnection.com page is an independent page that has no advertising because that's not FB .. yet. You have to enter FB via that screen to get the 'ads'.

I would pick a different nameIdea

I'm not beta anything, just a user browsing aroundShocked

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 11:28 PM - Response #75

Addressing some issues above:

1) Cav, Gwen, Debbie: Hang tight I'll figure out why this is occurring and get you into app.

2) Are you saying all classmates who join the Facebook application with not have to join our Class creator website to receive full visual access privileges to our website content, even the private pages? Answer: Yes, that's precisely the case. Keep in mind a classmate is a classmate whether they're joining from Facebook or whether they're joining from your web site. There is no difference. It's the exact same data. Even on your class web site now somebody could join under an open name on your class list and get into any profile. If this is a concern you need to turn on the New Classmate Verification tool on the Preferences page. Same holds true for the Facebook app. That way new joinees via Facebook cannot access private pages until you have validated them.

3) Pre beta testers have a higher level of access to the system currently. We will implement password and security restrictions at this time even in the pre beta, that's fine. Bear in mind at the moment only 10 people we trust are in here. The app is sandboxed to the public and nobody else can see a single thing.

4) KISS: I have a big sign above my conference table that says this. Smile I hear your concern. In a sense, there really isn't a Class Connection vs. a Class Creator. It's all the same thing. Same system. Same data. We're just allowing it to display through Facebook. With most of the system anything we do will change things in both places. It's the same stuff and the same code. Class Connection just allows people to easily participate through Facebook, and believe me, this is a huge need for many classes.

5) Confusing advertisements: All Facebook apps have ads on the right. We do not control them. We're not advertising there. Yes you will see Facebook's ads even in the pre beta. You see ads all over Facebook. That's just how Facebook works. Class Connection will have NONE of our own ads or ads we sell to others when there is a customer Class Administrator, just like we don't now.

6) Are people going to be confused by having both a web site and a Facebook app: Good question. The goal of course is no. It's very unlikely people will access the system both ways. I.E. most people will likely access the class via Facebook, or via your own private URL. Again both doors access all the same data. It's just another convenient way to participate with the class. Many schools here have classmates who literally won't participate at all if they can't do it through Facebook.

7) Don't attempt to join the app from classconnection.com right now. Pre beta testers need to join only using the procedure I gave.

Cool Multiple things that sound like "Class Connection": Keep in mind you're using Facebook search. There's going to be a million things with "class" something or other. It would be no different searching Google. Search for anything and you're going to get a list of all things similar. It's to be expected. Remember that search is not how most people will get to the app. Most people will be referred by another (and alerted via Facebook notification globe), or by an email. Those referrals will go directly to the app. Once people join the app "Class Connection" will appear under their app links. They'll never have to use Facebook search to get back to the app they'll merely just click "Class Connection" on their app links. I'm just having you get there right now using Facebook search because that's how I personally get to it. Just quick and easy. I could have just as easily given you the direct link to the app though, which is https://apps.facebook.com/classconnection.

Sorry there's been some initial confusion. No worries though. We won't even take the app out of pre beta until all of YOU agree to do that. Then we'll go into a beta before ever taking the app officially live. It's a process. There's going to be a lot early issues, this is normal. Day by day things will come together as we work with your feedback.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 11:50 PM - Response #76

Gwen: Please remove Class Connection from you Facebook apps and try again. You should be name matching now and able to get into app. Thanks.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 11:56 PM - Response #77

Not exactly a "million things" for "class connection" FB search. Try it and you'll find TWO at the very top. Very different from a google search. Continuing to others changes the name(s).

"Classconnection" is a tad more, still not like google.

OTOH, search for "FBconnection" and there's not a single hit. It helps to get uniqueness - That's all I'm pointing out.

People DO search for names. I do all the time when I can't recall exactly how I got somewhere. Assuming things is not KISS.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 12:10 AM - Response #78

What about using the name ClassCreator (no space) for the FaceBook App? I have to agree with Jack (Bothell HS) the more unique the name the easier it will be to find as well as less confusing. I can hear a classmate telling their friend they are on Class Connection and the other saying they are on ClassCreator and each not knowing they were talking about the same location.

What would happen if you used ClassCreator for both?

...CAV...

ps: Observation #5: I have always wondered about the Class Creator name. Brad you always put a space between the Class and Creator, BUT your logo at the top of this page does not have a space ClassCreator (Black Class Red Creator) ???

psps: I don't twitter, BUT there is a ClassCreator for twitter???

KISS with ClassCREATOR websites, ClassCREATOR FB app and ClassCREATOR twitter ???

Edited 07/14/13 12:28 AM
Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 12:21 AM - Response #79

. . . CAV . . . wrote:

Gwen, I understand. BUT Why? Why do we need another 'door' (Class Connection FB) to enter ClassCreator? You will be splitting your resources between two websites/layouts/formats/page styles. confusing ... Confusing ... CONFUSING!!!

Yes, CAV, we need this 'door' because:

1) Many of the members on the sites I have (and many more I wish would join) are on Facebook on a regular basis. Many prefer Facebook because it is the ONE place they are able to connect with family, former classmates, fellow workers, former neighbors, groups they belong to, check on businesses they frequent... and so on. Yes, some venture to sites other than Facebook but I have been told that when it comes to connecting with fellow classmates, why leave --- they are on Facebook.

2) There are members who are not on Facebookand have no interest in going there. Many times in emails to the class and on Facebook, I have shared the fact that the sites are where everyone can connect. I've been working to bring the those on Facebook and those not on Facebook together for two years.

3) Since many prefer to 'hang around' Facebook more than my sites, Class Creator's Facebook app, Class Connection, may be the only way the two worlds reconnect online.

4) For admins who watch the stats on their sites - be it site stats or Google Analytics, Class Connection may be the key to increased traffic from those who visit now and then AND those who have not joined us.

In other words, we can use this 'door', called Class Connection, to allow our members and those who have not found or joined our sites as an easy way to enter. Many times we have read threads here and discussed in TAP chats the big question, "How can we increase traffic on our sites?" Give it a chance. A good answer may be Class Connection by Class Creator.
Gosh that reads like an advertisement! Shocked

Hope this helps. So many times when the name Facebook is heard, some panic. I am not heading in that direction.

No sites will be duplicated requiring duplication of every update you make. Each site will simply have two ways in.

CAV, you closed with this:
. . . CAV . . . wrote:

I don't want my comments or suggestions aired to the FaceBook world.

Once a member enters through the 'door' known as Class Creator, the door closes behind them. Nothing on your site is visible to those on Facebook as the member who just entered is no longer on Facebook... they are on your site on Class Creator. Therefore, your comments, suggestions and such on your site are not shared with 'the Facebook world.' If you want them to be, you will have to write them on Facebook yourself. Cool

Thanks for asking how I see this, CAV.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 12:27 AM - Response #80

Brad Switzer wrote:

Gwen: Please remove Class Connection from you Facebook apps and try again. You should be name matching now and able to get into app. Thanks.

It was removed. Smile
I tried.
I ran screaming down the virtual hallways.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 12:32 AM - Response #81

Good points everyone.

"Class Creator" isn't really indicative of the app. Class Creator has the implication that you're creating an area for your class, which of course you are, and that will continue at classcreator.com no different from how it works now. The app is unique in that classmates can join the app even if there is no Class Administrator. Classes with an admin can do a whole lot more than classes without one, but all can join no matter what. Many classmates will join Class Connection having no awareness that Class Creator even exists. If they bounce around to other classes some may have an Administrator and more features available as a result. Some will not. One of the important considerations of this endeavor was creating an app where all could participate.

Yes for the moment I'm assuming (guilty) but I doubt even 1% of people will initially find the app via the FB search box. We'll actually know that number shortly. The other 99% (or whatever it turns out to be) are going to get a Facebook globe notification or email. Thus there shouldn't be a lot of confusion here. If we named the app Class Anything, even Class Creator, you're going to get an abundance of results just after typing the first word "class" alone using FB search box. Search will not be the best way to find the app no matter what we name it.

Edited 07/14/13 12:33 AM
Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 12:54 AM - Response #82

Thanks CAV for picking up on the confusion here. I could just as easily say 50% of people will find classcreator (actually that's a much better name for FB - even though it exists ATM) via a search - and I'm talking about people directly involved with classcreator. You'll need a course is statistics to validate either view. It's not as simple as saying 1% searched. Out of what population? The world? 1% is a HECK OF BIG NUMBER.

Why would class connection denote anything different than class creator Brad: I really don't understand these leaps of faith. That's just a personalized view after having chosen the name, but not substantiated.

What people look for is to connect with classes. Sharing the SAME name would enhance that. Otherwise, why didn't you call the original site "ClassConnection" instead of ClassCreator? Actually that would have been a better name. I think the "Creator" part came out of a technical view that one is "creating" a site. But that's not really how people view sites.

FB is really a "creation" site, yet it's not called FaceCreator, it's called FaceBook. Is it a bookQuestion

I'd step back and consider the high possibility of confusion by not using the same name for FB. It's not final yetIdea

Edited 07/14/13 1:00 AM
Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 1:25 AM - Response #83

Kudos Jack ... Ditto on your thoughts!

I definitely have been in a state of confusion all day … after reading your latest comments Brad I am not confused, I am lost!!! Why would you want people to join Class Connection without knowing about Class Creator? You refer to "classmates bouncing around" the app not knowing that some Class sites have more to offer. How are those Class Connection “bouncing around classmates” going to know there is a Class Creator world out there so they can plan a Reunion, have a Class Birthday party or provide a place for “In Memories”?

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 2:04 AM - Response #84

LOL - "classmates bouncing around" - that even makes me lost.

I did not understand that part either. So people would join "class connection" and not have a clue about classcreator? It feels like a wheel fell of the truck but nobody noticedSurprised

I think CAV and I are expressing sincere confusion here about the "bouncing" part. I initially thought this was purely for existing ClassCreator sites. Meaning, another way to access once one was on FB. Apparently not.

How non ClassCreator joiners would get any benefit is beyond me since they can't look at any locked pages. What's the fun in that? I for one would have -0- interest in hitting locked page after locked page.

Are ALL ClassCreator sites accessible to these "joiners" or just those classes that take part in this?

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 9:15 AM - Response #85

First thing, let’s agree to disagree about the “app’s” name. I like ClassCreator App you like Class Connection App. You are the Boss. If you want an “App” named Class Connection, so be it. Enough said … Let’s move on to bigger fish to fry.

Brad I am a believer and one of Class Creator’s biggest supporters ... let me voice my concerns about two of your comments. Brad Switzer wrote:

"The (Class Connection) app is unique in that classmates can join the app even if there is NO Class Administrator ... One of the important considerations of this endeavor was creating an app where All could participate.

Pre-Beta Tester Concerns about using the FaceBook app – Class Connection:
A. Who will be verifying the School Locations and the Class Years for signing in to the app?

B. Who verifies the misspelling of the School Name or the location of a School?

C. Who will stop classmates from making up a School or a School’s Location (At present, the School Location is Optional)?

D. Who will stop classmates from making up a group within a School and calling it a SCHOOL i.e. Crossland HS Shop Class, Crossland HS Boys Who Smoked or Crossland HS App Breaker?

E. Who will be verifying the “bouncing around classmates” when they “Connect With Your Class” and start talking trash about a real classmate?

F. Who will be monitoring those classmates who “Noticed your FaceBook app profile and thought you were cute in that big red hat and would love to chat with you online and they leave their screen name “urdirtybabe”, so you can add them to your chat list”?

I believe this FaceBook app “Class Creation” in its PRESENT format is going to spread you and your support staff so thin that in my opinion Class Creator and its Wish List is going to suffer. I also think that opening this door (“app”) in its PRESENT format is going to weaken and possibly dilute the strength and status of the Class Creator System of School Class Sites.

I leave you with another “KISS” … Keep it Simple Switzer.

Kudos,
Pre-Beta Tester …CAV…

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM - Response #86

I signed up to be a Beta tester, but I am rethinking my position after reading this thread. Our site may be better off as is.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM - Response #87

Brad wrote: " One of the important considerations of this endeavor was creating an app where all could participate."

When all are able to participate, the possibility of more of our classmates finding our sites goes up.

It is Sunday... enjoy your day!

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM - Response #88

All valid questions! As you can probably imagine we've discussed a lot of these things.

Imagine it from this perspective: You see somebody using Class Connection (your husband, wife, daughter, son, etc.) and connecting with their class in a unique way that does NOT solicit you for money, etc. I.E. something credible that works and is here for you for the long term. You decide you too want to connect via Class Connection so you go in to join the app as well. To your surprise, when you attempt to do so, you are prohibited from joining because there is no Administrator for your class. Believe me we've thought long and hard about this. In a world as big as Facebook we do not think it's the right move to prohibit people from joining their class or even installing the app at all simply because there is no Administrator. That would be an exclusive not an inclusive app and I don't think that's right for Facebook. Once on Class Connection anyone (regular classmate, someone on the reunion committee, etc.) can easily take over as Class Administrator if they choose to -- exactly like you can go into Class Creator now and become an Administrator for your class.

If there's an Administrator then that specific class can do far more things inside Class Connection. Such as plan a reunion. Create custom pages and content. Use all of the admin tools. None of them will be present on the adminless side. When an Admin creates a page on Class Connection they'll have the ability to make that page viable by just their own classmates from their own class year, any classmate from their entire high school, or anyone on the entire Class Connection app (i.e. the page is public). Thus if you view a different class on the app, there will in fact be many classes with admins who have content that is shared. You're not going to be blocked from seeing everything in many cases. Just like Class Creator now many admins create pages that are not password protected, e.g. they are publicly viewable.

Another thing to bear in mind is this opens up HUGE new opportunities to fulfill the long-requested requests from alumni associations and multi year classes. For the first time you'll be able to go in and view any class from your school. In Phase II we will add ability for alumni associations to take over groups of classes and assign Class Administrators to each year. Our current "multi" system is very limiting and if you've followed these forums over the years you know why. One of the things Class Connection will do is address this and finally give people what they have been asking for.

Overall, I ask for your patience and letting the process play out. If you're a Class Administrator, and of course everybody in this forum is, for you Class Connection will be a simple way of allowing your classmates to participate with your class through the Facebook interface. It really is all the same stuff though. I don't think there will be a lot of confusion over this after the app is officially live. Once live of course there won't be any process of signing up to be a beta tester, registering with Facebook as a developer, etc. -- you'll just open up the app and join. I didn't expect this many issues with people getting in as testers, but unfortunately all of that is actually Facebook's stuff.

Finally, one thing to bear in mind, when the Facebook app concept first came up, it was clear from the user base it was something many people wanted, and in fact in some cases something admins actually required to gain the full participation of their class. On the other side of the coin, it was also equally clear some people didn't want to open up a Facebook gateway at all. They simply wanted to keep their class world separate at a private URL and that was going to be it. Both had extremely valid reasons for their requests. Which of course is why the use of the app is optional. If it's not a fit with your class and goals you simply don't turn it on, thus nothing whatsoever about your class site changes. If you want to open the door to the Facebook world you can do so and any Facebook user will easily be able to participate. There truly are people who camp out on Facebook all day long and that's just what they do. For those people they will be able to participate with the Class from the Facebook environment almost as if it was actually Facebook itself. There's literally people out there right now participating in Facebook class groups refusing to join their class sites if they can't network it through Facebook. So again it's not for everyone. But for some it's actually the only solution that will work for them. As a developer we're just accommodating both needs and then leaving the power in YOUR hands as to how you wish to use the new Facebook connectivity, or if you even wish to leverage it at all.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM - Response #89

Cav,

Excellent list of concerns! Now this is the power of having experienced beta testers. Thank you for that.

School names and locations:

Answer: I'm going to sound like a broken record I think but I want to state again there aren't two different systems. An admin can go in and build a new site right now on Class Creator and add whatever school name they want. All school names are sent to Support for verification. You'd actually be surprised how few school names are added. We have most schools in there. Often when a new school is added it's actually not a school at all, and somebody is using Class Creator to create something non school oriented (something I never expected when forming Class Creator). On Facebook it will work precisely the same way, i.e. we'll be notified when any school is added.

E. Who will be verifying the “bouncing around classmates” when they “Connect With Your Class” and start talking trash about a real classmate?

Answer: Talking trash where? You'll be able to message a classmate from a different class if the classmate has allowed that, but that classmate will also be able to block you from messaging them further if they wish.

F. Who will be monitoring those classmates who “Noticed your FaceBook app profile and thought you were cute in that big red hat and would love to chat with you online and they leave their screen name “urdirtybabe”, so you can add them to your chat list”?

Answer: Nobody will. Same thing now though. If you leave your profile public then this could happen. Many people do. If you don't want this to happen then restrict your profile to viewing by fellow classmates only. Exact same security settings apply here, there is no difference from Class Creator whatsoever. Same system.

G. The app may grow and support may be spread thin: Growth is ok and so is adding support staff should that prove to be the case. Having never made a Facebook app I'm honestly not sure what to expect in terms of growth. Growth is ok with me if we're managing it appropriately. I can definitely appreciate the concern here. May sound a little lofty but I'd love to have the most credible class app in the world on Facebook -- one where you're not solicited, asked to pay money to get your messages and so forth. I don't like that kind of stuff. It's the reason on Class Creator we made the pledge to keep all classmates FREE and put up no barrier to participation. On the Facebook app it's the same methodology -- all classmates can join free, no barrier to participation, no solicitation, no requesting classmates to pay for access levels etc. When you do that it lessens the number of people who will join and that's bad for numerous reasons. For instance it makes reunion planning very hard if your whole class isn't there. It's also simply less fun for everyone if your whole class isn't there. So -- it sounds a little "out there" at this point I know, but I'd love to have the most credible class app in the world that people can trust, where the whole class feels free to participate, where planning reunions is easy (or at least easier than anywhere else), and everyone is able to have the most fun possible.

That's how I view the app. If Facebook isn't a fit with your goals as a Class Administrator (and again there's plenty of valid reasons for that) you can simply not utilize the app. The app is for those who want or need it to meet goals they're not currently meeting.

Edited 07/14/13 11:47 AM
Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 11:56 AM - Response #90

Gary sorry, I don't think I adequately addressed your question way above.

There really aren't two different things. You have only one class and only one group of classmates. There would be no reason to post a link on Class Connection for your classmates to join from your private URL. In fact it would actually kind of defeat one of the purposes of the app. You can join through Facebook if you choose, or you can join through your private URL if you choose. Either way you have joined. The same classmates and the exact same data are there regardless of how you have joined.

For instance, let's say I'm using the Facebook app and I leave a comment on a fellow Classmate's profile. And now that fellow Classmate logs into the web site through a URL (not via Facebook!) and they view their own profile. The comment you left via the app will be right there for them. If they comment back to you, and you again log in through Facebook, you'll now see their comment.

It's simply the exact same data set being accessible from two locations. Especially for the die hard Facebook users who like to just have one login and password for everything (i.e. their Facebook login and password) they can participate with the class without ever leaving their familiar Facebook interface.

These days you can log into numerous things with your Facebook login/password. It's an easy way of allowing people to participate with your class using an environment they're already familiar with.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM - Response #91

Brad, many kudos for your thoughts, comments and explanation. As an Administrator and Pre-Beta Tester I may not agree with everything, BUT I have any open mind eager to learn and explore.

... So lets pre-beta test this Class Connection app and see what happens.

Me, myself and I along with my Class of ’69 – the finest Class to graduate from Crossland High School will decide like many other ClassCreator Classes if we will turn on the Class Connection app when officially turned on in the future.

Kudos Again,
...CAV...

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM - Response #92

Great, sounds good CAV. It goes without saying but pleasing 100% of the people 100% of the time is an impossibility. In cases where it's simply not going to be possible, we'll certainly try to include the options for YOU to run your site as you see fit without being locked into anything you're not desiring. I absolutely believe we can accomplish that while still KISS (keeping it simple). If I'm wrong I know you guys will tell me where I'm wrong. Smile

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM - Response #93

Remember me the confused one … It’s been awhile!!!

… Pre-Beta testing here. I went back to your two videos (Posted Wed, July 3rd, 9;49 am above) and I re-watched. Someone needs to update where we are in this pre-beta testing process. Several links and accesses are missing or have changed since I lasted visited July 13 Saturday morning. As of 12:30pm EST July 14th when I logged in to the Class Connection App there is little open to test … I observed the following:

*If you roll over any/all the headings on the left side of the page the results: “Sorry, not available.”
*If you roll over your profile photo the pop out menus (email the class, edit site pages, etc.) are gone.
*The “Change to Another Class” is gone from the blue title bar top of page.
*Click on “What’s New” you can Post a Message – not sure if other Pre-Beta Testers can see messages?
*Clicked on Classmates. I can view all 600+ Classmate’s names and profiles. Some how I added a Non- Classmate and got a “Report non-classmate” notification … to be honest I have no clue how I did that, BUT it is there. Not sure how to delete my non-classmate. Did I break something?
*Photos – No photos uploaded.
*Videos – No videos uploaded.
*Notify Me – Sorry, not available.

Kudos,
...CAV...

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM - Response #94

It's a copy of your data 3 months old (I think Brad said that). So it's not really your current site. I suspect that the CC software is also 3 months old BEFORE the change was made to not show phone numbers, etc, so that's why they are still showing.

I also concluded from Brad's comments that anything done in "beta" mode won't show up in your REAL active class site. It's a "sandbox" where you can play and not get dirtyTwisted Evil

Brad can correct me if I've misinterpreted his commentsVery Happy

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM - Response #95

Nope Jack just nailed it. Thank you Jack. Dang you guys are fast. Smile So confirming what Jack suggested:

1) Seeing deleted photos: Dev database copy is roughly 4 months old now. Anything deleted in the past 4 months will still show up. Of course, none of this will ever show up live once we switch over to the live database.

2) Master photo: We pull the Facebook photo in as you noticed. If you hover over the photo you can change it to anything you feel like. Facebook has some things they want like immediately personalizing the user experience. Photos is one way to do that. Many new joinees won't have a photo at all of course, so their Facebook photo gets used unless they opt to change it.

3) Yes that data will all be private.

4) Things unavailable: Not sure on that. Most things should be available now. I'll find out. If you can give me a handful of items showing up as not available that would be helpful.

Thanks Debbie.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 10:21 PM - Response #96

Debbie, thanks for posting the change for signing up as a tester. As a result I too was able to complete the process.

However, when I get to the Class Connection log on screen and enter my school and year I get a few pop-ups, dispense with those and am just left on the Class Connection log on screen. I deleted the app, started over and wound up with the same result. I don't recall others having this specific problem. So I'm further along but not there yet.

Edited 07/14/13 10:41 PM
Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 10:48 PM - Response #97

I'm trying again and again. I had to give up on one thing this past month... I am going to beat this! Cool

Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM - Response #98

Gwen where are you at specifically right now?

New Topic Reply   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.