ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Joining 2 other sites where I'm admin from ClassConnection

Forums: Class Connection Facebook App
Created on: 07/09/14 05:21 AM Views: 1339 Replies: 10
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 at 5:21 AM

Hi Brad & gang, I created 2 other multi-year reunion sites (ours is 1969-70-71) for 1966-67-68 and 1972-73-74. When I join from ClassConnection it doesn't seem to find me and I end up as a new non-admin profile?

How are our profiles stored when they are multi-year, and as admin, if I don't specify a year on my profile? Or will I be forced to put one on, even though it would technically be wrong? Aha, I guess I should test that hypothesis to see if the search from ClassConnection finds me.

Followup -- yes actually putting in a graduation year allowed me to find my profile. BUT -- it still seemed to create another profile. I just deleted the duplicate profile afterwards. This should be fixed.

CHG REQUEST? When you search for a reunion site, after you choose the school, it should display the grad classes that exist for the school and let you pick one of them. This would fix the issue I had above. Also, if you still choose a specific single year, then that may imply you want to join/create a single year reunion site for *that* year alone, although it might compete with the existing multi-year site that covers your grad year.

Was there any discussion about how CC should handle this situation I wonder? We actually have that problem as one of our classmates inadvertently created a single-year site (with herself as the lone member) that is one of our 3 years covered, and I don't think she knows how to get rid of it (if it's possible).

Edited 07/09/14 6:04 AM
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 at 4:40 PM - Response #1

The first thing I want to address is the structure of Class Connection. Pretend there isn't a Class Creator for a moment. On Class Connection you can't go there and start a multi year class. That's by design. You would start as many single year classes as you want. Of course, on Class Connection, everything works as one. So classes can "Visit Another Class" and go other places than their own class. From those classes they can communicate with classmates from different class years in the Message Center. Each class year can have an Administrator. This is a much better setup for a whole variety of reasons.

Now bear in mind, that's only the case if Class Creator didn't exist, and specifically, if the multi year site format didn't exist. But it does exist from the past. The whole structure will be redone for future classes that want to span multiple years, but we had to deal with the current grouping of multi year classes. The only way to really accommodate that was:

1) Allow those multi year classes to be found in a search.
2) Allow the "Class Connection" link under the Member Functions heading to directly access that multi year class on the Facebook app.

So really, multi year classes coming from Class Creator are an exception to the Class Connection rule of all single year classes working as an entire community of classes.

That being said let me address your specific questions:

1) I had no problem using the "Visit Another Class" feature to find and visit your other 2 multi year classes. How are you trying to join those other two multi year classes? Are you using a different Facebook account? With possibly a different name? I only see one "Allen Mar" on all of Class Connection. That could be the problem. What you want to do is click the "My Account" link to join and administer multiple classes on Facebook. Specifically click the Join Another Class button. If you do that you will have the opportunity to merge with any existing account. So just merge with the Admin account you've already established. In this way you can join numerous classes where you are the admin.

2) When you choose a school you can then choose a class year. If no class exists for that year, right there on the same page you have the opportunity to start one. I'm not sure we'd want this to work any differently?

3) Yes, your point is definitely valid. Somebody could create a single year site even though a multi year site already exists that encompasses that year. I don't know why anybody would want to, but they could. The new multi year structure will actually be a grouping of all single year sites with tighter "Super Admin (if you will) control over all of them. Again this makes so much more sense for a wide variety of reasons. The current existing multi year classes will likely keep doing what they're doing. The new structure will be more compatible with the Facebook setup.

4) We can delete any single year site that was created if you'd like us to. Just let me know the year and we'll zap it.

In this multi year scenario there is no "perfect". I think the new setup will be as close to perfect as it can get, but for any existing multi year sites perfect won't be possible. The best advise I can give you is always ask your members of your multi year sites to click the "Class Connection" link under Member Functions to join the Facebook app. If they do that it's absolutely impossible to join the wrong thing. If they don't do that and they go to Class Connection directly and they pick the single year class instead of the multi year class (which they are also presented with) then yes, you'll certainly have cases of somebody joining the wrong thing. An all site email explaining this would be incredibly helpful. Had we had a crystal ball we would have set up everything differently from the start but when Class Creator started there was no such thing as a Facebook app. We'll do the best we can to accommodate all scenarios, but the most helpful thing of all is the email to your classmates explaining exactly how to join the Facebook app. Once they've done that one time it's impossible for them to have any future problems. i.e. once you join you are now bound to that multi year class forever.

This is an excellent post, thanks for starting it. I hope it helps others who run multi year classes here who also want to participate in the Class Connection Facebook app.

Edited 07/09/14 4:47 PM
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 at 4:48 PM - Response #2

Make you self a guest of the other two site you are the root admin. I use Webmaster Darlene on my own multi-site..And put very limited info on it.
I have my regular profile under my Grad and real name. It works great for me.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 at 6:07 PM - Response #3

Webmaster Darlene wrote:

Make you self a guest of the other two site you are the root admin. I use Webmaster Darlene on my own multi-site..And put very limited info on it.
I have my regular profile under my Grad and real name. It works great for me.

Tnx Darlene, I didn't want my account to appear on the classmates list of the 2 other multi-year groups so I did not make it a Guest account, and so my "year" was originally blank. By actually setting the profile's year to one of the years of those groups, I could find myself and merge with that account, although in both cases it seemed to create a separate account before merging.

Similar to your "Webmaster Darlene" trick, I added the string "(Root Admin)" to my name in the non-grad group profiles. After I joined I then purged the duplicate/redundant non-admin "Allen Mar" profiles that the ClassConnection registration process created for me.

Cheers! Allen.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 at 8:31 PM - Response #4

Your Very Welcome!!! Glad to help!Very Happy

Thursday, July 10, 2014 at 2:24 AM - Response #5

Tnx Brad, now that you've explained the structure of ClassConnection vs ClassCreator it makes sense, and we'll be looking forward to the continued evolution of the system.

An aside, a nice option would be to allow a single profile to be linked or associated with any number of classes or years or whatever entities and have attributes like root admin, non-root admin, classmate/member, guest, etc...

I can see cases where a member might want to have separate profiles too though...

A question about ClassConnection, that it created a duplicate profile even when it showed me choices and I chose the "admin" profile I'd created, and verified that it was the one I wanted? A bug or ?

Thursday, July 10, 2014 at 2:51 AM - Response #6

Did this happen while using the "My Account" option to join 2 or more classes?

Thursday, July 10, 2014 at 3:41 AM - Response #7

That's correct Brad.

BTW, does the system keep an audit trails?

Allen.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM - Response #8

We have various logs but no audit trails in terms of logging page to page movements. I just did a test and was unable to get the system to repeat creating new non admin profiles when adding classes under My Account. On the 3 multi year accounts you have now, are you the admin on all of them now? Or do I need to go in and tweak anything?

Thursday, July 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM - Response #9

Hi Brad, I'd created and was admin of the other 2 groups from ClassCreator browser sessions and that was earlier (weeks/months time frame). I should've kept detailed notes of the steps taken.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 at 1:47 PM - Response #10

Ok. If you see anything like this in the future let me know. I have no doubt there's an issue here somewhere. I'll be darned if I can reproduce it though.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.