ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Unable to use Class Connection.

Forums: Class Connection Facebook App
Created on: 03/19/15 02:53 PM Views: 2570 Replies: 13
Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Hello, guys.

A little late in the day, I know, but I thought I'd take a look at the Facebook/Class Connection set up so activated it in my Preferences but when I click on the link under Member Functions I can only get as far as logging in to Facebook.

When I click on Connect with Facebook I get the Error message - 'User has opted out of Facebook platform'

so can't go any further.

What am I doing wrong and/or what do I need to do to rectify the situation?

Thanks

Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 9:00 AM - Response #1

I haven't seen this before. I did find some info online suggesting you may have changed a privacy setting in the past. Try this:

Sign into Facebook
Go to your Privacy Settings
Edit Your Settings (
Turn On All Platform Applications.

Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 10:46 AM - Response #2

Thanks, Brad.

I did what you suggested and I don't get the message I mentioned anymore. I'm not sure I've done everything correctly as I'm not that familiar with Facebook. I couldn't find anything that actually said Turn On All Platform Applications.

However, I don't seem to get beyond the screen that asks me to enter a school name. I enter it,(but don't enter a year as we don't specify years) then click Connect With Facebook and get a message saying 'Please wait....Proceeding To Class' at which point it reverts back to the same screen I was on.'

I'm confused.

Edited 03/22/15 10:49 AM
Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 10:53 AM - Response #3

Brad, I think I may have found the way round it. It looks like I DO need to a year, so I entered 1963 and it let me in.

Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 11:19 AM - Response #4

Still confused!

Now when I click on Class Connection on my website under Member Functions I'm taken to Facebook where I log in and am then taken to the 'What's New' page. I renamed this page on my website to Notice Board. Can I do the same of Facebook?

Edited 03/22/15 11:19 AM
Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 11:32 AM - Response #5

Final question on this today, Brad (Promise!).

For a Classmate to use the Class Connection App they appear to need to be using the same Email Address for Facebook as they do for my website. What if they don't?

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 3:41 PM - Response #6

Answered some of your questions in your other forum post, but regarding email addresses, no, they do not need to be using the same email address. We try to merge the account by showing the likely candidates, which includes first name, last name, email address, and a couple other things. Almost always we will present the user with the proper merge option. But if we don't, they are simply asked to select their name from the class list.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 10:20 PM - Response #7

Brad,

I'm just about to go to bed before I scream but before I go there's one more thing.

I've finally found out how to access and activate my right hand modules on the Class Connection App by going into Next Steps and clicking on View Your Right Hand Modules under Create A Poll! I'm sure there must be an easier way.Please let me know what it is.

The downside of doing this is that some of the text in one of the modules, Donate, has now disappeared and it looks in disarray on the website and I can't seem to do anything about it.

Additionally, the colour scheme looks fine on my normal website view but on the Class Connection App the text in the modules is illegible because the background is too dark.

Please get my website back to normal!

Edited 03/24/15 10:21 PM
Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 10:35 PM - Response #8

Creating a poll has nothing whatsoever to do with your Class Connection layout or right modules.

Here is how I'm seeing your site in the app: http://screencast.com/t/c3eR1jIOGe

It will look like this at screen resolution 1366 or higher. Below that you will see the mobile interface.

Can you send me a screenshot of the problems you're seeing? What browser are you using? After you're finished screaming please let the know the answers. Smile

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 6:59 AM - Response #9
Screenshot for Brad 250315.bmp

Brad,

I didn't wake up screaming and my nocturnal positive thoughts seem to have had the desired effect - almost. Well, the screen is looking better than it did before I went to bed.

You've answered some of my other questions elsewhere so I'll try to address everything here.

My choice of the Log In box as an example of what was missing was obviously the wrong choice as I did, of course, realise there wouldn't be a need for it on Class Connection. It was merely an example of the modules that were missing on the screen.

I know creating a poll has nothing to do with Class Connection or right hand modules but that was where I found a link that took me to the modules as it was under Next Steps/Create A Poll/View Your Right Hand Modules and where I was able to activate them. If there's an easier way, please let me know.

I'm using Chrome as my browser.

I wasn't sure about there being no Instant Messenger on the Class Connection App. Shame really, as it would be useful for members to be able to hold a conversation. Would they need to use the Facebook set up itself to do that?

I've found help with the problem of Mark Zuckerberg's money producing ads (how much does one man need!?) as I Googled
F B PURIFY and use that. It's worth a look if nobody's aware of it.

My main gripe now concerns the appearance of my website on Class Connection -

1) The background on the left and right hand columns is too dark. This has been allowed for by making the text white in most cases but not, for some reason, in the DONATE module.

2) Some of my add-ons/widgets are not showing up in the Class Connection version. If you compare my Home Page on my website with the Home Page on the Class Connection version you'll see there are world time clocks on there that aren't showing up and there is an envelope missing that allows members to click on and send me mail, as well as the button that says 'Click Here To Register'. Naturally, text without the widgets is confusing and makes me look a little stupid (no comment, please!).

3)Unfortunately, your screenshot doesn't cover the area of the dark background problem. See is how it looks to me in the screenshot above.

Edited 03/25/15 7:04 AM
Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 12:16 PM - Response #10

FBCC Interface Display = Screen Resolution AND effective ZOOM level (IOW, not just the screen resolution).

I get the "mobile" interface at 1900 wide resolution after two Ctrl+ ZOOM commands (FF). Found that out some time ago Idea

Default zoom levels vary by browser. FF (for me anyway) sometimes is odd on the zoom level(s) I get by default.

So that explains the various posts made that don't make sense at first if all one thinks about is the device resolution.

Brad Switzer wrote:

It will look like this at screen resolution 1366 or higher. Below that you will see the mobile interface.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 4:37 PM - Response #11

You can just click "Modules" from your main menu. That'll be a lot faster. Smile

Yes, on Class Connection since both people are on Facebook, it's relatively easy to contact somebody that way. We could potentially add IM, but with IM a native part of Facebook, there would then be two separate IMs. Not a big deal but possibly a bit confusing.

I think we can display all right module text in white. Let me check on that.

I'm sending a request to Programming to look at the non displaying widgets. Back with you on that shortly.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 11:36 PM - Response #12

"Widgets" have to be https to display - one of the things that affect ALL widgets driven by Flash or javascript on FBCC

Sometimes a site also has an https version so all one has to do is change http to https. Either it works or it doesn't Rolling Eyes

Brad Switzer wrote:

I'm sending a request to Programming to look at the non displaying widgets. Back with you on that shortly.

Edited 03/25/15 11:36 PM
Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 10:56 AM - Response #13

Jack is right on the money. Blocking mixed content: http://screencast.com/t/wJHOu8qzhxa

Change URL to https instead of http and see if that works.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.