ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Strange Happening

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/30/17 12:09 AM Views: 876 Replies: 5
Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 12:09 AM

There was a strange happening this morning on the Springfield Vermont Class of 1960 site. I received an Updates and Highlights message from the site that a new announcement had been posted, that there was a new survey response and that there was a birthday today.

I clicked on the link provided and without logging on was taken to the survey results. That in itself seemed unusual but the strange thing was that there had indeed been a new response but it was to a survey that had been posted a year ago and had been inactive since then. There was a link to the survey but individuals having administrative rights claimed not to have activated it.

I logged on as the root admin and viewed the Change Log. There was no entry indicating that the survey had been activated. To see if there should have been I viewed the Change Log on my 1958 site after activating a survey. There was an entry showing that I had.

I'm at a loss. Are there other logs available to CC that might shed some light on this issue? I hope the site hasn't been compromised.

Edited 05/30/17 12:10 AM
Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 3:06 PM - Response #1

The most likely scenario is that, at least for a moment, that survey was made live. That would have triggered an email notification. If someone still had that notification and clicked an old link to the survey, they can still arrive on that page. If the survey is no longer necessary, you could simply opt to delete it and any links clicked in emails will no longer work.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 3:51 PM - Response #2

This rang a faint bell, and I found the reason {HERE} in one of my posts from 2013.

I still believe that an inactive survey should not allow someone to link to it from an old notify email and take the survey or update their entries.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 4:05 PM - Response #3

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

The most likely scenario is that, at least for a moment, that survey was made live. That would have triggered an email notification. If someone still had that notification and clicked an old link to the survey, they can still arrive on that page. If the survey is no longer necessary, you could simply opt to delete it and any links clicked in emails will no longer work.

It's hard to imagine that someone kept a message containing a survey link for over a year but given they might your explanation seems plausible. However, since clicking on that link made the survey live shouldn't there be an entry in the change log?

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 4:09 PM - Response #4

Slightly off topic, sorry: what is a Change Log ??

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 4:18 PM - Response #5

There is a log of admin changes, and you can access it at http://www.yoursitename/class_admin_changelog.cfm

It does show many of the changes an admin has made (and who made them), but unfortunately, not all changes are included.

Edited 05/31/17 4:21 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.