ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classmates marrying Classmates

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/14/08 12:05 AM Views: 7607 Replies: 42
Friday, November 14, 2008 at 12:05 AM

I would like some ideas from other Administrators on how they highlighted/acknowledged Classmates who have married Classmates from the same Class or same School.

Looking for some creative ideas ... Thanks in advance.

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 11:01 AM - Response #1

If you paste the following in the SPOUSE name on the classmate's profile, it will provide a link to the spouse that is a classmate.

SPOUSE NAME

Replace "WEBSITE NAME" with your website name. (it is better if you just copy this from the Address line of the browser when you click on the spouse name)

Replace "YYYYYY" with the member ID number of the spouse (find this by looking at the address bar of the browser when you click on the spouse classmate.)

Replace "SPOUSE NAME" with the actual name of the spouse.

An easier way to get the the website name and member ID is to click on the spouse first and copy the whole address bar of the browser and replace everything in the "href='" until the "'>" with what you copied. There are other ways, for example, using the LINK button, but I like this way.

Edited 11/15/08 9:23 PM
Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 2:11 PM - Response #2

Thanks Kyle ...

I will try your idea.

I was thinking about a separate page for "Classmate marries Classmate" ... something along the lines of "1969 graduates who not only got an education at Crossland High School, but also found a mate ..."

If anyone else has any other ideas, I would appreciate you sharing.

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 4:44 PM - Response #3

I tried this on two of my classmates that married each other and when I click on the link(name) on either profile, it tells me the web page cannot be found. What am I doing wrong?

Edited 11/15/08 8:54 PM
Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 8:15 PM - Response #4

Please provide one of the two names.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 8:41 PM - Response #5

Annie Douglas is one name and I am trying to link it to Carroll Warnock

Edited 11/15/08 8:55 PM
Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 8:57 PM - Response #6

Here is the link you are using:

Carroll Warnock 62

You're using single quote marks around the link, not double quote marks. And that's why it's not working. You need to make your link read as follows:

Carroll Warnock 62

If you want to make it even more obvious it's clickable you can also underline it with u tags. Like this:

Carroll Warnock 62

Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 9:22 PM - Response #7

Brad Switzer wrote:

Here is the link you are using:

Carroll Warnock 62

You're using single quote marks around the link, not double quote marks. And that's why it's not working. You need to make your link read as follows:

Carroll Warnock 62

If you want to make it even more obvious it's clickable you can also underline it with u tags. Like this:

Carroll Warnock 62

No the problem isn't the single quotes. I use single quotes in my profile and it works just fine. The problem is the website you are using. Instead of typing in the "www.classcreator.com/CulkinAcademy62", use the following. (this is what appears in your browser URL line.)

http://www.culkinacademy62.com/class_profile.cfm?member_id=106759

In order for what you were typing to work, you would probably have to type it like this:

"www.classcreator.com/Culkinacademy-Boise-ID-1962"

(assuming that Culkinacademy was in Boise Idaho).

Edited 11/15/08 9:31 PM
Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 9:39 PM - Response #8

Thank you both for being patient with me, however, I have tried everything and it still isn't working. I can't imagine what I am doing wrong. Oh and by the way, this Culkin Academy is in Vicksburg, MS.

Edited 11/15/08 9:43 PM
Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 9:50 PM - Response #9

Oh I see. Your syntax is now perfect. But the actual link itself you put in there doesn't link to anything. I.E. this link goes nowhere:

http://www.classcreator.com/CulkinAcademy62/class_profile.cfm?member_id=106759

Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 10:04 PM - Response #10

Brad Switzer wrote:

Oh I see. Your syntax is now perfect. But the actual link itself you put in there doesn't link to anything. I.E. this link goes nowhere:

http://www.classcreator.com/CulkinAcademy62/class_profile.cfm?member_id=106759

Use THIS one in Annie's profile:
http://www.culkinacademy62.com/class_profile.cfm?member_id=106759

Use this one in Carroll's profile:
http://www.culkinacademy62.com/class_profile.cfm?member_id=105015

Edited 11/15/08 10:07 PM
Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 10:48 PM - Response #11

Brad, you guys are very patient, but for some reason, it is just not working. I'm giving it up for tonight. Maybe I'm just not seeing something clearly. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks!

Sunday, November 16, 2008 at 12:44 AM - Response #12

Annie Warnock wrote:

Brad, you guys are very patient, but for some reason, it is just not working. I'm giving it up for tonight. Maybe I'm just not seeing something clearly. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks!

I think we are getting closer. What I meant to say in the last e-mail was to not copy the exact text into the spouse name, but replace the text inside of the code. Please copy the following (exactly) for the spouse name in Annie's profile:

Carroll Warnock

And copy the following exactly for Carroll's Spouse Name in his profile:

Annie Douglas

Hope this works. Sorry it was so complex. If you want, you can also change the name (between the ">" and "<" is the displayable text) to include your graduation year, 62.

Edited 11/16/08 12:46 AM
Sunday, November 16, 2008 at 3:07 PM - Response #13

It looks like this worked for you.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 at 7:52 PM - Response #14

Yes! Yes! Yes it worked. Thanks so much for all the help!

Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 4:34 PM - Response #15

We're making an entire page for our high-school sweethearts - it's still in the works but you can see what we've started, at least...

Lisa

Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 12:17 PM - Response #16

Well, our mascot is the dragon, and I found an animation of 2 dragons kissing so I made a page for the dragons that fell in love...put the animation at the top of the page and then listed the couple, the day they married, and added a wedding photo beneath. I think it looks rather nice.

Friday, February 13, 2009 at 3:29 PM - Response #17

Code works beautifully!!! A classmate asked me about it and I told him I'd give it a try and would ask if couldn't figure it out! I came up with the same code Kyle & Brad posted!!! I was about to ask if there are any plans to disable this "feature" and did a search on the forums and found this thread!

So, I'm guessing the "feature" will stay??? Brad???

Friday, February 13, 2009 at 4:29 PM - Response #18

We were thinking about disabling the feature only on your site. But we're planning to leave it on for everybody else.

Friday, February 13, 2009 at 4:36 PM - Response #19

Oh pooh!!! Guess I'm just special, huh!!??Wink And here I thought I would have a Valentine's gift for our 7 sets of married classmates!!!

Will brownies bring it back!!???! How about brownies with little hearts on top!!! I'll spare you my favorite way of saying Happy Valentine's Day and say it fully written out!!!

Enjoy a special day with your favorite Valentine!
R

Friday, February 13, 2009 at 10:14 PM - Response #20

I created a slide show that show their senior pics side by side with how long they've been married under. I included classmates that married people from other classes from our school as well. I've received a lot of compliments on the slide show. It's under the tab "Misc. School Photos."

Friday, February 13, 2009 at 11:44 PM - Response #21

Ruth Flinn wrote:

Oh pooh!!! Guess I'm just special, huh!!??Wink And here I thought I would have a Valentine's gift for our 7 sets of married classmates!!!

Will brownies bring it back!!???! How about brownies with little hearts on top!!! I'll spare you my favorite way of saying Happy Valentine's Day and say it fully written out!!!

Enjoy a special day with your favorite Valentine!
R

Thank you. Smile I've got 3 Valentines -- my wife Pam, my 3 year old daughter Haley, and my 6 month old son Colton. Best Valentine's Day ever. Smile

Friday, February 13, 2009 at 11:57 PM - Response #22

WONDERFUL!!! I visualize an awesome picture of 4 entwined hearts! Take the day off and enjoy it!

Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 12:09 AM - Response #23

I am not familiar with this "day off" concept of which you speak...nonetheless, I plan to enjoy our day together, indeed.

Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 9:52 AM - Response #24

Ruth Flinn wrote:

Code works beautifully!!! A classmate asked me about it and I told him I'd give it a try and would ask if couldn't figure it out! I came up with the same code Kyle & Brad posted!!! I was about to ask if there are any plans to disable this "feature" and did a search on the forums and found this thread!

So, I'm guessing the "feature" will stay??? Brad???

In case you were wondering. Here is a link to the history of this feature. http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?messageid=6E512218-1422-B04B-5E4FA38933B6EA23#6E512218-1422-B04B-5E4FA38933B6EA23

Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 4:02 PM - Response #25

Crossland1969 Website _Admin wrote:

I would like some ideas from other Administrators on how they highlighted/acknowledged Classmates who have married Classmates from the same Class or same School.

Looking for some creative ideas ... Thanks in advance.

Okay, here is what I did. Kinda funny too. We were the "Falcons" and I created a page called, "Inbred Falcons." It's hilarious and everyone loves it!

I'm still waiting on about 6 wedding photos from couples, but a few are already posted. I will "unlock" the page for a short time so you have a chance to view it!

Have fun!

-VanessaVery Happy

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 10:32 PM - Response #26

Check out Married Classmates on our site. I am awaiting more photos from other classmates. I also included classmates who married classmates from the year before or year after our class. Tell me what you think.

Pam

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 4:01 PM - Response #27

Thanx Kyle for the thread.
Well...I can't get it to work.
I can copy the webpage url...but then when I try to paste it to the spouses name in the profile I just get the url after the name. Is the link visible in the spouses name?
I must be missing something in the translation.
I don't get a link button either.
I'm confused.

Edited 04/28/10 4:03 PM
Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 4:54 PM - Response #28

Give me the classmates who are married and I will connect them and then you can see what it should look like.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 5:01 PM - Response #29

Thank You...Thank You...Thank You.ExclamationExclamationExclamation
The names are: Harvey A. and Shirley L.

WinkSmileExclamation
(edited to remove last names - public forum, ya know)

Edited 04/28/10 5:26 PM
Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 5:24 PM - Response #30

I changed SHIRLEY's spouse to this:
Harvey

which is the member_id of Harvey

I changed Harvey's spouse to this:
Shirley

Now when you click on the spouse name, you will go to the spouse's profile.

Edited 04/28/10 5:25 PM
Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 6:39 PM - Response #31

Thanx so much.. Kyle

I needed the visual.
Man...it's sure time comsuming!!!
Worth the time thoExclamationExclamation
You RockExclamationExclamationExclamationWink

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 6:41 PM - Response #32

You probably want to tell the classmates that you are linking them together and that their "Spouse Name" field will look like it has junk in it, but tell them not to delete the junk or it will break the link.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 7:08 PM - Response #33

Yes...I will..thanx for the reminder on that. I think I will put it on the home page somewhere.

Sunday, May 2, 2010 at 6:30 PM - Response #34

We had a number of classmates who married other classmates, either in our year, or in the years prior to or after. I dedicated on the pages to them, putting a slide show of photos, past and present, along with appropriate music. Everyone seems to enjoy this - maybe with the exception of those classmates who married other classmates but are no longer married to each other!

I will take the password protection off this page for you to peek at it.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 at 12:29 AM - Response #35

I read this thread for the first time tonight. Is this meant to be a link within a classmate's profile? If so, I do not see how to get into the coding of the profile pages. I tried pasting a (browser) address into the Spouse Name in the other spouse's profile but it did not work. I tried the single and double quotes, as well. This is a great idea... just how do you get it to work? I know I am missing the key to this... what is it?

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 at 8:41 AM - Response #36

which two classmates are married - you can just give first name initials and the last name. Then I will hook them together and you can see see what I did.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 at 8:42 AM - Response #37

which two classmates are married - you can just give first name initials and the last name. Then I will hook them together and you can see see what I did.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 at 10:11 AM - Response #38

Gwen, it is done.

Friday, November 26, 2010 at 10:13 PM - Response #39

Thanks, Kyle. I am almost done with the first six couples. The last one has me puzzled. Behind Spouse Name is a button that says "Notify Me." The spouse has not signed in, as she probably does so for her husband. I have one or two others who have not signed in and have not seen this happen. If you can, please look at Tom H.

Thanks.
Gwen

Friday, November 26, 2010 at 10:31 PM - Response #40

Gwen,

There were two problems - the first one, caused the NOTIFY ME button to appear - you were missing the closing single quote (apostrophe).

The second problem, you had this person referring to his own profile, so I pointed to the spouse.

Friday, November 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM - Response #41

Yikes, Kyle! I should have caught that. Should probably stop for the night or I may make more mistakes. I will watch for that in the future.

You sure replied fast. Thanks many times over.

Gwen

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM - Response #42

I'm really not getting how to link the spouses...is there a step-by-step instruction somewhere around here? I've gone through this thread and I just can't seem to 'get it'!! Help, please! You're talking about codes and < and > and I see none of this. Thanks! It would be nice to see a step-by-step video or something about it. Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.