ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

New Script to make Profile Option into 2 columns

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/05/23 01:56 PM Views: 509 Replies: 17
Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 1:56 PM

Seeking some some volunteers to test. I don't have that many choices in my profiles, so somebody with a long list would be nice.

I made it so the Profile Choice box is now TWO columns if the screen is at least 900 wide. So phones held vertical still show 1 column but sideways should be 2 columns.

I only have non-Domain/Responsive sites, so people with Domains and Classic layout would help verify.

This is OUR site that shows 2- column layout. If you reduce the screen size and refresh (too lazy to add detect dynamic code for now) it reverts to 1- column again.

If you have some of the optional stuff that Jessica says is created when you have a Reunion, that would be nice. Should all work the same though.

Just add THIS to Preferences at the bottom of that screen.

Edited 03/05/23 1:57 PM
Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 8:59 PM - Response #1
Profiles.jpg

No change here after adding the script. My site is a domain name site (without the security option) and using the 1950's older "Social" profile template.

My Class Profiles page is a fly-out (along with Missing Classmates page) under an empty "Classmates" page in the left side menu. There are 11 'headers' in the top box. And I'm not sure that page is more than 900 pixels wide if you don't count the left side menus.

Edited 03/05/23 9:08 PM
Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 10:36 PM - Response #2

It has to be put in Preferences. There is no script there at the moment. Unless you removed it? There's a message that is displayed in the console and I do not see any message. It shows on any page.

Check for typos.

I ran on an "classic" site and it worked. There's no difference in how it's done between classic or responsive.

Edited 03/05/23 10:37 PM
Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 10:46 PM - Response #3

Can you put the script back if you removed it so I can tell if there's something different. It would help to actually see the profile page though to see what is actually generated. Should be stock stuff.

Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 11:19 PM - Response #4

That's a standard site though with standard pages. Flyout link name ends up same as direct.

Edited 03/05/23 11:20 PM
Monday, March 6, 2023 at 12:00 AM - Response #5

I figured it out. Google analytics is interfering. Has to do with the load sequence. I'll check to see if load is done. Analytics somehow changes this. Being at the end, I assumed didn't have to worry.

Monday, March 6, 2023 at 12:23 AM - Response #6

I put it back in, and put the new script before the Google Analytics script. No change.

Monday, March 6, 2023 at 12:30 AM - Response #7

The google script somehow is delaying the full load. CC moves that script to the top of a page and I'm guessing that prevents the page from fully loading. I'm fixing. I'm copying code from some other scripts that need to have complete page loaded. Id you temporarily remove the google script, should work.

Takes a bit since there's a "bug" in CC uploading where somehow it's taking data from cache vs the file and I have to clear the cache to make sure the new file is actually there. I spent hours and hours long ago (probably days) before I realized that. It's why I put date/time in all the scripts to make sure I'm actually getting the latest version.

Monday, March 6, 2023 at 12:31 AM - Response #8

Oh, by load sequence, I didn't mean the sequence of the scripts as such, more the sequence of how the page is loading/timing.

Monday, March 6, 2023 at 12:35 AM - Response #9

FIXED .. would have been faster except for that stupid cache thing.

Monday, March 6, 2023 at 12:35 AM - Response #10

You need to clear the data cache to get the new version loaded.

Monday, March 6, 2023 at 12:37 AM - Response #11

And works on your site. Thanks for testing. Little things like this need testing.

Monday, March 6, 2023 at 1:59 PM - Response #12
Profile-2col.jpg

Yes. Looking good. Thanks.

I did notice last night when I had Analytics as the second script listed after yours that it took quite a while to fully log out. It was "waiting on google analytics" for what seemed like ages (probably 15-20 seconds).

Edited 03/06/23 2:03 PM
Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 1:44 PM - Response #13

Hi Jack, As I read the "Profile Choice box", I had no idea what you were talking about. I've not heard that phrase referring to the legend. Filed under... we learn something every day.

Is it possible to increase the length of the box, John? I ask as the icons appear 'fat'.

Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 5:13 PM - Response #14

Icons by CC are inconsistent in size, so the original CC person went to a LOT of work to adjust size/spacing for each icon. A lot of the code there is not needed.

In addition, there are a number of icon variation not known to me. So I just picked an icon size to get an idea of how they would display in various sites. It's not related to the height of the "box".

Since so far they all appear to be OK (in terms of basic display) I adjusted image display inside the display space (which is identical for ALL vs variable for CC). Should look better than "factory" now Very Happy

Vertical spacing is also easily an option, just that not having options is easier for users. I was thinking those that want this, probably like slightly tighter spacing. But if a few think more vertical spacing (more or less like CC has now), easy to do. Various browsers are slightly different.

Just part of the development process.

PS - clear browser cache to see new icon displays

Edited 03/08/23 5:14 PM
Thursday, March 23, 2023 at 11:41 AM - Response #15
Columns.jpg

It's no big deal but since I implemented this feature I've gotten a thin ribbon across the top of the page stating "Two Columns on Profiles Page." Screen shot attached. Is there a way to eliminate this while still retaining the 2 columns?

Friday, March 24, 2023 at 1:38 AM - Response #16

You entered the words "Two Columns on Profiles Page" in Preferences. CC moves all that to the top if you are using google analytics.

You probably meant to make it a comment and forgot to use the < !-- -->

Just remove those words or make it an actual comment that will not show.

Saturday, March 25, 2023 at 9:51 AM - Response #17

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

You entered the words "Two Columns on Profiles Page" in Preferences. CC moves all that to the top if you are using google analytics.

You probably meant to make it a comment and forgot to use the < !-- -->

Just remove those words or make it an actual comment that will not show.

Thanks. An easy fix once one is pointed in the right direction.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.