ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Blow out on FF

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/22/09 10:14 AM Views: 1986 Replies: 18
Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Brad, I use Firefox. The homepage is intact when you first hit the site. But after I log in, it blows out. Why would this happen? I've cleaned cache an cookies several times and it isn't doing it on IE. Can you try it and see why? (don't want to hear that you can't reproduce it) LOL

Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 11:13 AM - Response #1

Please go into your computer's properties and tell me what your screen resolution is set at.

I am unable to reproduce the problem in Firefox, thus I believe you are having a local display issue. There are three things that can cause this:

1) You have a disproportionate screen resolution set. I.E. your resolution does not match the aspect ratio of your monitor.

2) You have oversized fonts turned on.

3) You have screen magnification turned on. I.E. you are viewing the site at more than 100%.

If you're curious to see how other browsers and browser versions display your web site, check out this site. You can see here that the site is displaying fine in Firefox. Thus I'm nearly certain you are having one of the three issues above.

Oh by the way, also try rebooting your computer. Sometimes Windows computers can just "get a little funny." I've seen all kinds of issues get resolved just because somebody rebooted.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 12:31 PM - Response #2

I have rebooted, plus cleaned. I have not reset any settings on resolution. This came about after adding some background colors to the IN MEMORY. I know you said before there is no connection to the Homepage, etc., but this came about before when I had changed something on another page. I did nothing then and it straightened out.

My screen resolution is 1024 X 768 I think it said and I can't remember the rest of your questions as I type this, so will have to post and go back and read.

It doesn't blow out until I log in. I didn't change to magnification.

Edited 01/22/09 12:33 PM
Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 1:13 PM - Response #3

Not related. Smile

Any way you slice it, I believe you're having a local display issue. Can you reproduce what you're describing on any other computer using Firefox? Or can anyone you know, family, friends, etc. also see the problem you're describing? For kicks I looked on 2 desktop computers and a laptop and cannot see any problem.

Edited 01/22/09 1:14 PM
Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 1:16 PM - Response #4

Oh hey, just curious, try temporarily removing the background image script you have on your home page. Does that possibly fix the problem you're seeing?

Friday, January 23, 2009 at 11:37 AM - Response #5

Well Brad, I didn't do anything and the problem cleared itself as it's fine this morning. I did go to that website you mentioned and it said it was going to take over 2 hrs (queue) to load 5 chosen browsers and would expire in 30 min. (that made a lot of sense to me!) LOL
If it happens again, I'll go to another computer to see what it does, as you suggested! Didn't think of that, only thought of looking at IE (Internet Explorer) and it was fine there.

Friday, January 23, 2009 at 11:59 AM - Response #6

It never takes that long. Usually it's about 15 minutes or less to display them all. Plus you can bookmark the page and come back later. It's purdy cool.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 8:55 AM - Response #7

I'm still experiencing the homepage "blowing out" in Firefox. When I bring up the site it looks fine, when I log-in the homepage is blown out.

Last night the homepage was fine until I started going to different tabs and when I'd go back to the homepage it would be blown out.

I was also getting a lot of error messages when I tried to go from page to page, saying you guys needed the information and was working on the problem. I had an email from a classmate this morning around 5:05 am Central stating he was getting the page error messages.

I haven't played around this morning (myself) to see if the page error messages are coming up.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 11:32 AM - Response #8

Sandie,

Can you tell me if:

1) This is still happening now, and
2) Can you see this same thing in any other web browser?

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 10:35 PM - Response #9

at this very moment 'no'. However, it did earlier this evening. At first it was just doing it on Firefox. So I went to Internet Exp and it did the same thing there. I cleaned everything, rebooted, etc and nothing was helping.

But right now my homepage is intact. (you probably don't want to hear it, but I was loading a "slide" onto my memory page and I always change the size to fit. But it blew out the page. I also had typed a paragraph that did not wrap. This could have also caused it. I had to to in manually and 'wrap'the sentences to get the page back to normal. What normally was a 15-20 min job took 2 hrs to straighten out. I did nothing differently. I was using IE at the time because FF was blowing out the Homepage)
Will let you know if homepage acts up again.
Last night, I was getting page err after page err no matter what I did.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 5:38 PM - Response #10

My homepage was pushed down again this afternoon while I was adding content to one of my pages and trying to switch between pages to see how the content looked. Firefox. I didn't have time to check IE or look at it with a different computer. These recent instances have only occurred in the past week or so. It straightened out after closing and reopening the browser -- which isn't fun to keep doing while trying to work on pages. Just a FYI, at this time.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 5:59 PM - Response #11

Are you using the lastest Firefox? Honestly I don't think this has anything to do with our system.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 8:53 AM - Response #12

I signed in just now, this morning. Homepage was fine. Clicked one of my pages, then clicked back to the homepage and it was pushed down again.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 10:37 AM - Response #13

I am having the exact same issue. In Firefox, home page looks fine when I'm not signed in. As soon as I login and go back to home page, my Slide embed and announcements are way down the page and are "blown out." Site looks fine in Explorer, both logged in and not logged in. I am using the latest version of Firefox.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 11:06 AM - Response #14

ditto Brian.
I upgraded from 3.0.4 to 3.0.5, took a nano second, so the upgrade wasn't much. I cleaned cache, cookies, rebooted, and my homepage is still being pushed down and blown out after logging in and going back to homepage.
However, I've had it happen on IE too, but not this morning.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 12:50 PM - Response #15

Brian Smith wrote:

I am having the exact same issue. In Firefox, home page looks fine when I'm not signed in. As soon as I login and go back to home page, my Slide embed and announcements are way down the page and are "blown out." Site looks fine in Explorer, both logged in and not logged in. I am using the latest version of Firefox.

It's because your slideshow object is slightly too large for the space in which you're embedding it. It's crossing into the margin. You need to slightly reduce its size. See this thread for more information and how to fix it.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 12:52 PM - Response #16

Sandi Baker wrote:

ditto Brian.
I upgraded from 3.0.4 to 3.0.5, took a nano second, so the upgrade wasn't much. I cleaned cache, cookies, rebooted, and my homepage is still being pushed down and blown out after logging in and going back to homepage.
However, I've had it happen on IE too, but not this morning.

I'd reduce that slideshow with the moon on it by about 10 pixels or so. The page looks ok to me, but it looks like it's slightly crossing into the margin. If you add other content above or below it, it could cause problems potentially.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 1:39 PM - Response #17

STOP THE PRESSES!

Oh wow, I think I know the root cause of this now. Any of you ever watch Phelix The Cat when you were growing up? I really had to reach into my "bag of tricks" to figure out this one. This was incredibly tough. Fortunately another forum thread tipped me off and sent me looking the right direction, and I think I nailed this little pesky issue here. See this thread for more.

Edited 01/28/09 1:40 PM
Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 6:18 PM - Response #18

I saw that thread too. I need to thank that member for noticing that it only happened with email bouncebacks. I had 2 and that's why it didn't 'blow out' until AFTER I logged in.
Even with the change to just 'bounce' my page still blew out. I had to actually remove the 2 bounces for it to go back to 'normal'. Anyway, I've tried it once now and it's working right. Thanks !!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.