ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Password Protection

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/12/11 03:00 PM Views: 1369 Replies: 15
Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Our website is only a week old... I have spent a lot of time looking in different threads/forums... but what would you suggest as far as what should be seen from someone just browsing our website. I was thinking that I would make everything password protected except the members list... I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM - Response #1

You also shouldn't password protect your home page. You can have announcements that appear only to logged in members and that is how you can password protect some of your content on your home page. You can also have custom announcements for non-logged in guests so they can learn how to join your website.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 5:10 PM - Response #2

I gave this some thought. First I recognized the "comfort level" of my classmates. That said, that could change over time.

But the other thing was finding a balance between "teasing" people to join....that is not letting them see EVERYTHING because then, why else do you need to join?....and giving them enough to make them WANT to join!

If you take a look at my sight as a guest, you will see some pictures of the recent reunion. They are mostly group shots and if you haven't been in touch with anyone for 40 years, you are going to have a hard time distinguishing who is who. No one is named (I used a couple of first names with permission)so it's very much "generic,"

If you want to take a "closer look" at the reunion, you have to join!

I left some things open, like our choir music albums, our yearbook (it is what it is!) and other really broad things. The forums I locked up, Classmates Today I locked up!

You don't want to give away the whole cow; neither do you want to discourage a person from joining.

Denise

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM - Response #3

Hi and welcome to C.C.

First, I think of my classmates and what personal information they wouldn't like for other people to see. So of course, pw protect the In Memory page.. My first page is open, I have info about our class and school, then they have to log on to see the announcements and information about classmates birthdays, illnesses, etc.

I'm all about my visit numbers, I want classmates to have to log on to see any pertinent info..

BTW, If you would like to peruse my class site, the system password is hotdog1960...

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 6:29 PM - Response #4

Denise,
Thanks for your response, great idea to encourage membership.
Really like your website!
Marilyn

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 6:37 PM - Response #5

Thanks Lynda for your input, I like your website also, so much to learn...

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM - Response #6

Denise is correct. I found the more links I put that went to "Protected Pages" the more chances they will sign up. One thing I did learn was that for some people High School is over and nothing changes that.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 7:05 PM - Response #7

Thanks Bob... do you know how to customize a link to add a url, so that when you click in the link on the left side, it takes you directly to a website?

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 7:14 PM - Response #8

I think it can be done but to be honest I don't know how. I assume from the 'edit" pages. But, with that in mind i prefer not to use those links to leave the web site. Sometimes they don't come backSad
I want the classmates to enjoy the site. On many of my page links I tell them to hit the return arrow to return to the page. I have had some tell me they spent days on the site. "Priceless"

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 7:28 PM - Response #9

Good point... I was just thinking of links to our school's website, or weather, just different things...

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 7:38 PM - Response #10

I'll add you to my guest list in a minute. You can peruse our site. There are many more that are much better and all you have to do is ask. I found everyone on this site so helpful when I started out. CC Admins are there all the time also. I got an answer (From a Farmhouse in Iowa or some remote state) on a holiday. Now that's dedicationShocked

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 7:58 PM - Response #11

Thanks Bob, I signed up as a guest and looked at your site, great job. So, I was wondering if your link "How To Use This Site" was helpful to you fellow classmates/users? I have seen this on a few sites... do you recommend posting something like this? If so, can I copy yours? I think I would set up a link named the same name and just copy your data into my link???

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 8:17 PM - Response #12

I copied from someone elseWink Why reinvent the wheel. I have been on Lynda's website for an hour now listening to their music while I work. This is the best don't you agree?

Sunday, November 13, 2011 at 11:48 AM - Response #13

Marilyn
To answer your question about adding a link to another page on your class site or a website-

For example, I have a music quiz in one of the customized links on my site. If I wanted a link on my home page where classmates could just click on that and be automatically taken to the quiz, this is how I would do it..

First, go to the page or website you want to link to.. Once there, right click and copy the address you see in the address box at the top of the screen..

Second, go to EDIT SITE PAGES, and then to the page you want to put your link, homepage, announcement, etc.

Once there, type in a sentence or word or you can use a picture. I would want to type "Click here to take the music quiz". Then click on the sentence or picture, a box should surround it.

Third, up in the EDITOR area, you will see a world globe with a chain link next to it. If you point the mouse there, it should say "Insert/Edit Link". Click on that icon, a box will come up.. That is where you want to paste the url address you copied earlier. Then click on Save Changes...

Go back to the homepage, and test the link... If all is working right, once you click on it, you'll be taken to the page or website you wanted to link to..

It's really simple, I hope I haven't made it sound too difficult.. Right now, I have links to several other years of FHS High School class websites on my announcement page.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 at 12:29 PM - Response #14

Thanks Bob for your help, I copied and pasted your "How To Use This Site", and I see that Lynda posted how to customize a link with a URL, I will test that and try it. Have a great day!

Sunday, November 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM - Response #15

Thanks Lynda... I was able to do what you suggested to do... what I was looking for, was to not have to click twice... example, on someone else's site (which I will try locate again and ask them the question) they have a weather link and you click on the link on the left side of the page and it takes you directly to the weather link, instead of clicking on the link on the left, then to have to click again on the url that shows up. Hope this makes sense, thanks again!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.