ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Verify Questions to ask

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/16/14 04:20 PM Views: 775 Replies: 4
Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Hi,

I recently changed my settings to "verify" classmate before I add after having someone click on a classmate and sign up with a bogus email.

Now, I have another classmate asking to join. I tried to check his address but couldn't come up with anything. He didn't put his phone either.

It all just "feels" a bit suspicious to me but I can't say for sure.

SO...what questions should I ask?

Thanks

Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 4:27 PM - Response #1

Is there a phone number? I recommend calling the classmate on the phone.

Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM - Response #2

No, he didn't put his phone number or any recent pictures. He is not on Facebook so I just really don't have a good way to verify it is him.

I am suspicious because of the last fake sign up with bogus email just last week. So any other helpful tips or questions I should be asking would help.

Thanks

Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 9:52 PM - Response #3

Has CC considered automating or facilitating the verification process?

Allow the Admin to define multiple questions that would be presented to someone attempting to join the class. If the answers match those defined by the Admin, access is granted automatically. The questions would, of course, need to be something only a class member would know and could not be easily researched online. Example:

What was the name of our principle, sophomore year?
1-Potter
2-Dumbledore
3-Snape
4-Lupin

What was the name of our principles son?
1-Homer
2-Bart
3-Milhouse
4-He had no son

Alternatively, the questions (without answers) are included in the opt-in e-mail verification message. Make it an e-mail/identity verification message. The e-mail is verified as currently done and the Admin also would receive an e-mail containing the answers provided by the joining person. The Admin can then grant or deny access based on the joining person’s response.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM - Response #4

Meg,

In this case I would send a personal email to the address entered, either including something like "For security reasons, please answer the following question" which would be something that anyone from your class would know. Or simply stating that for "security reasons" a phone number must be supplied - and confirming that a phone number can only be seen by the web site administrator.

I prefer the phone number approach, since I can make a call welcoming them to our site and casually slip in some 'Do you remember..." questions to verify them as we speak.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.