ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Memory Book

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/21/09 07:52 PM Views: 1500 Replies: 3
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Is there a way through Class Creator or otherwise to
create a memory book directly from the information on our site?

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 9:35 PM - Response #1

No, although that's something Jessica will be spearheading. We're discussing creating "dynamic PDF" files from the data. And maybe even partnering with a print house where the information could be sent for printing on the fly. With a couple hundred tasks on the Task List I can't tell you it will be any time soon though. Although it is something we're definitely going to work into the Reunion Planner when we're ready for this.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM - Response #2

Our committee is asking for the same information as to whether we can print a memory book from the survey questions.

Any more information on this? I see your response to somebody's question was over 2 years ago. Any hope?

Bruce

Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 10:11 PM - Response #3

I'm assuming by "Memory Book" you are referring to a print out of the profile information from the website (as opposed to creating a "Directory" with the contact information only.)

It is possible to use Excel and Word to mail-merge the contents of all or selected fields from the profile download. I've tried it and it is do-able. However, it takes a lot of set-up and editing to make things consistent.

This is especially true of setting up the merge document with a lot of 'if-then-else' logic to by-pass unanswered questions and to display the question and answers for those that were answered.

The other problem is consistency of punctuation, spelling, grammar and capitalization as it was entered by each of the members.

Finally, there is the question of privacy. Members entered this information at the website with the assurance that it would be only visible to other class members who registered and logged in to the website. Does that implicit notice also cover producing a printed copy of that information and distributing it to others who are not online?

Creating a "Directory" of contact information only using the downloaded class mate information is somewhat easier using the mail merge function of Excel and Word. Same privacy question applies IMO.

BRUCE: After posting this response, I visited your website and noticed that you are using a survey rather than the profile to collect information intended for the Memory Book. You've clearly disclosed your intended use of this information and how it will be used and distributed, so ignore my privacy concerns.

Edited 02/27/11 10:17 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.