ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Improving navigation on long pages using anchors and links to anchors

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/19/17 04:49 AM Views: 4351 Replies: 10
Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 4:49 AM

Sometimes you have a lengthy page you don't want to subdivide into separate pages. To make navigation easier, you can create links at the top of the page, which when clicked, immediately advance you down the page to the line associated with the link. Here's a page on our site that does this, followed by an explanation of how to do it: http://www.eastlongmeadowhighschool1970.com/In-Memory-FacultyStaff.htm.

Under Admin Functions, click on Edit Site Pages, then click on Edit Page for the page you wish to edit.

Scroll down to the line you wish to advance to. On a blank line above this line, create an anchor by clicking on the Anchor icon in the Editor (last icon in second row; looks like a flag). Type an anchor name and click OK. I then recommend creating one blank line between the anchor and the line you wish to advance to, by depressing the Enter key.

At the top of the page, create a link to the anchor. Type link name, highlight it, then click on the Link icon in the Editor (third icon from right in second row). In "Link Type" box, click on black triangle next to URL. Click on "Link to anchor in the text." In "By Anchor Name" box, click on black triangle. Click on anchor name. Click OK. Click SAVE CHANGES.

Feel free to browse other pages on our site for additional examples of links to anchors we've created and how they improve navigation.

Edited 03/19/17 4:56 AM
Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 1:17 PM - Response #1

And also, at each anchor (if it's a long page), put a return link back to the top anchor Idea Click that and you get an instant return to main index to pick something else.

Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 2:37 PM - Response #2

Thanks for adding this, Scott! It is good info to bring up for those who are new. And Jack, great point to add an anchor to the top.

Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 4:12 PM - Response #3

The jump feature can be used to jump from one page to a specific spot on a different page. The last time I saw anything written about this feature, it was not supported in Class Creator. Is it now? If the answer depends on which version of Class Creator is being used, I'm using the old one.

Thanks.

Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 4:51 PM - Response #4

Barry,
Yes, you can have a link to an anchor on another page. In the link, add the URL of the page containing the anchor and follow it immediately by the # sign and the name of the anchor.
Jim

Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 11:25 PM - Response #5

Jim, thanks for the tip on how to link to an anchor on another page. I hadn't realized that was possible.

Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 11:47 PM - Response #6

This used to be broken on FF and other browsers. Last time I checked it finally worked again. Be sure to verify on phone versions. They don't always work the same way.

Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 10:02 AM - Response #7
Capture.JPG

Curious about using this technique with "Announcements". I'd like to put the links at the top of the Home Page referring to each individual announcement - but "Announcements" don't have links defined like the pages. I put an anchor on one of the announcements but can't refer to it from the Home Page area.

Any ideas or is this just not possible.

** Answered my own question - might help others in the future. **

I scanned the "page source" as rendered for my Home Page (which includes both the HP source + all of our Announcements (which only exist on the HP when it is rendered in the browser). Each Announcement had an "id=" attribute defined for the top of that Announcement that was unique. So I simply used the "id=" attribute as the #anchorname in the source. I attached a JPG file that shows the code.

This works for any link on the home page to an anchor spot at the top of any Announcement. I put the above source in the JPG file so it wouldn't try to resolve the href in the msg.

Edited 03/26/17 5:15 PM
Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 7:53 PM - Response #8

Scott Moore, does your anchor suggestion still work?

Inquiring minds are looking for a 'how to anchor' in 2022.

tapconnects.com chat happening now

Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 8:12 PM - Response #9

Hi Gwen,

Yes, I use my anchor technique all the time.

Thursday, July 21, 2022 at 12:59 PM - Response #10

A detailed explanation of how to make and link to anchors. Sometimes the raw html code is easier to work with.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.