ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Basic Tables

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/27/13 12:09 AM Views: 1200 Replies: 7
Friday, December 27, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I'm sorry if I'm asking overly basic questions about tables, but I am limited to the amount of time I can spend on the computer and don't have the time to noodle things out. I tried to create a simple table, one to use to play around with. (I created a Practice page for playing around.) I created a table with the default size settings. When I started typing, the width of the cell expanded as each new character was typed. I know that's not right. HELP!

Friday, December 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM - Response #1

I was able to recreate the expanding cells, Barry. I changes the settings when I use a table. Maybe what you are experiencing is what we should expect. I am going to ask Scott to look at it.

Here is a time saving tip you may have missed in the forums: http://screencast.com/t/i4Cw0Cdmr

Friday, December 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM - Response #2

Barry,
I've always preset my table to 1 row 2 columns and added more if needed. And I noticed in a test today that the second column does move. So to help you, click in the middle of a cell. RIGHT click, find CELL PROPERTIES at the bottom of the fly out menu. Designate the width of your cells in the top left option by pixels or %. We suggest you try 50% for each or 25% / 75%. See how those work for you.

Friday, December 27, 2013 at 8:05 PM - Response #3
Practice Tables Print Screens.doc

Gwen:

Thank you very much for the video on enabling advanced save options. I can't tell you how many times I've looked for that functionality and didn't know how easy it was to change.

O.K. When last I left the Practice Page there were three tables. One towards the top and two towards the bottom. I configured the one at the top today. There other two were waiting for me. Of the two tables towards the of the page, the one at the top worked, i.e., you could type without the cell borders moving. The one below it did not work. The table at the top of the page did not work.

I attached, I hope I did anyway, that shows print screens of the identical table structures, one of which worked and the other of which did not.

My allotted time has ended. Thank you for the time, attention and thought you've given this.

Barry Levinsky
p.s. I work a lot on mobile devises, but editing pages requires a computer, among other things. I can't sit at a computer (like I'm doing now) for limited times only.

Friday, December 27, 2013 at 8:21 PM - Response #4

Sorry to sound psychotic, but the table that I described as working, on my computer anyway, does not work on my tablet. I look forward to Scott's take on this.

Barry Levinsky

Monday, December 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM - Response #5

Barry,

I looked at your attached Word document. Both of your example images were for TABLE PROPERTIES. If you want a column/cell to have a specific width, you want to use CELL PROPERTIES, which is available by right-clicking, choosing "Cell" fly-out menu, then choosing "Cell Properties", then you can set up a width for the cell. This is different than the Table Properties, Width which is giving a maximum width for the entire table.

Expanding table cells that do not have a specific width is a normal feature of the HTML display language for the Internet. If a width is not given, the text can expand or shrink to fit the content of the cell.

Monday, December 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM - Response #6

Kyle:

I just had a chance out your directions. They work. I suspect I could have spent a good chunk of the rest of my life trying and still not have figured it out. That must be why you get the big bucks. Smile

Monday, December 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM - Response #7

Actually, not really what I would call "Big Bucks", but it is more than minimum wages and I am thankful for the extra income.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.