New Topic Subscription Options  

User able to see profiles without logging in

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/13/10 02:00 PM Views: 1185 Replies: 2
Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Hi,

I have a user who tends to have this problem on a regular basis:

"FYI -- I am able to go into the profiles without logging in."

Even I keep forgetting if the answer is that the user doesn't "log out" properly or if it is a cache issue on her computer or both. I just tried searching for the appropriate response to give her here but couldn't find it. The user does not show as being logged onto the website, so would you mind reiterating for me what I can tell her? I promise to keep a copy so I don't have to hunt or ask again! Thanks much!

Elaine

Elaine

Edited 04/13/10 2:01 PM
Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 3:50 PM - Response #1

If she EVER clicked the "stay logged in" checkbox, she has a permanent login cookie on her computer that will allow her to access the site without logging in. Just have her click the "Log out" link. That'll remove the login cookie. If for any reason she's still able to view restricted areas of the site without logging in again (very unlikely) then have her clear her browser cookies and try again.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 1:01 PM - Response #2

After sending this user your suggestions (and some of my own like refreshing the page and clearing cache) it occurred to me that maybe what she was doing was not logging into the website at all but still viewing the Classmate Profile page to find that she could read some of those classmates that have not protected their profiles from public view. I send an email out to classmates that do that just to make sure that it wasn't an oversight on their part but this user wouldn't know that. I know some of our classmates want their info public even though most don't. I'm waiting to hear if this was the experience she was talking about and will let you know. Elaine

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.