ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Page update notification

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/07/13 01:19 PM Views: 1496 Replies: 16
Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I recently started getting a page update notification whenever I made a minor change on the homepage. I then realized at the bottom it said a notification would be sent to all 128 classmates who had signed up for this. This must be new. I now uncheck this box when making minor changes. However, this morning I made some changes that I don't want to go live with yet and saved them as a draft. I got the page update notification as did all 128 classmates, I presume. Nothing changed on my homepage, which is good because I didn't want it to yet, but 128 classmates are probably looking for a change. So, it appears they are all getting notified even if I haven't gone live with my changes. I think this needs to be fixed.

Doreene

Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM - Response #1

You can change the default value in the advanced options section of the PREFERENCES page

CLASSMATE NOTIFICATIONS: Classmates sign up to be notified when various pages of your site have been updated. You may not want these automatic notices to go out if you are making a small edit (e.g. fixing a typo). A checkbox is present under the editor window indicating how many people have subscribed to receive updates for the page you are editing. You can check or uncheck this box to send or not send these automatic notifications. The default status for this checkbox is settable below:

Prechecked: Automatically send subscriber notices unless box is manually unchecked before saving
   Unchecked: Do not automatically send subscriber notices unless box is manually checked before saving

Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM - Response #2

Thanks, Kyle. I went to preferences and changed it. However, what really bothered me is that it seems an auto update notice went out when I had saved as a draft.

Thanks for all you do.
Doreene

Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 8:10 PM - Response #3

Kyle, This is still not working right. I have unchecked on the preference page. I just made some changes on the homepage and continued to save as a draft as I made some changes earlier today. I do not want to go live with these changes until later this evening. I just got an email (and I'm sure the other 128 classmates did also) that the homepage has been updated. Isn't anyone else having this problem?

Doreene

Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM - Response #4

Doreene,

Ugh! I did not see the notification option was checked when I saved an announcement in the midst of writing it. Sure enough... a notification went out.

I'm okay with classmates having the option to be notified... but not until I am sure it is how I want it to be. Yes, I did turn it off AFTER that but now that means all notifications are off, right?

One more time... ugh!

Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM - Response #5

Gwen, Yes, that's the problem - they are being notified that the page has been updated but when they go to look at it, there's nothing new because I haven't gone live with it yet. Probably pretty frustrating on their end. I think this is affecting only changes we make when editing a page. I don't think selecting "uncheck" in Preferences is affecting notifications such as when someone updates their profile or joins the website.

Doreene

Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 11:09 PM - Response #6
announcement_edit_window.jpg

I'm also having issues today with notifications about announcements going out when I didn't want them to. In one case, when I created the announcement, there was no place to mark yes or no regarding notification, and after the announcement went live, a notification was sent. I have set my preferences NOT to have automatic notifications, but it appears the default is still YES.

In another case, I set up a future announcement with start and stop dates. When I entered a start date, I noticed a new line had been inserted (see attached screen capture) and the box had been checked. I have unchecked the box and hope that will prevent a notification from going out.

Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM - Response #7

When creating a new link, there is only one box at the bottom and it is not the Notify Classmates box, so it cannot be unchecked. I recently played around with a new link and saved it. The "unchecked" option is selected on the Preferences page and the link never went live, but notices were still sent to the classmates. I reported this problem on Friday, but it has not yet been corrected so be aware if adding links.

Monday, April 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM - Response #8

Investigating this now.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM - Response #9

The programmer has made adjustments to the page and reports that all is fixed for what has been reported above. Please let us know if you find otherwise. Smile

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM - Response #10

Thanks, Scott. A quick check at my end indicates that the notification function on announcements is now working as advertised for me. Thanks to the programmer for fixing the problems and to you for letting us know! Very Happy Very Happy

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM - Response #11

You're welcome!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM - Response #12

Scott,

My problem either still exists or I don't understand what I should be seeing.

At the top of my Edit Site Pages page, there are two empty, inactive New Links. When I click on Edit Page, I get a dialog box and at the bottom, there is only one box - Page is Active?. From what I have been reading, I expect to find three boxes, one of which pertains to sending out a notice that the page has been modified or added. Last week, I was experimenting with one of these links and when I saved it, a message was sent out even though there was not a box to check to send it. The "Uncheck" box is checked on our Preferences page.

I am missing something?

Jim

Thursday, April 11, 2013 at 2:06 PM - Response #13

Jim, That Page Is Active notice should no longer be displaying with your current settings. The option of having the Advanced Save button has been moved to the Preferences Page, to which you do not have access because you are not the Root Admin. If you would like me to turn that back on for you, I can. Otherwise, your Root Admin can do this.

Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 8:44 AM - Response #14
Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 8.40.23 AM.png

On my Notify Me Statistics page, I'm seeing stats that Page Update emails were sent AFTER the date you say the programmer fixed the issue. I use the Notify Page Update option VERY sparingly as I don't want to spam everyone. I did use the option yesterday, 4/25 and 4/20, but did NOT use the option on the other dates shown on attached screen print. Please tell me how this happened and fix it as I really am concerned about spam. Thanks

Edited 04/25/19 8:52 AM
Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 6:48 PM - Response #15

In your screen shot, the high counts on 4/20 and 4/25 suggest that there were emails sent to 'everyone' who had chosen to see those email types on those days. But on the other days, the low counts suggest that the emails your site sent were triggered by something like a birthday announcement sent to only those who subscribed to the birthday person.

Friday, May 3, 2019 at 10:20 AM - Response #16

John, thanks so much for the clarification on the extra emails that were automatically sent (not the ones that I instigated). Makes perfect sense. (Sorry for the late response.) Liz

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.