ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Member Functions-Announcements

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/24/08 07:08 PM Views: 1732 Replies: 12
Sunday, August 24, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Why is the Announcment option listed under "Member Functions" and not Admin Functions? I, as the administrator would like to control the # of announcements that appear on the site. Is this possible?

Sunday, August 24, 2008 at 7:33 PM - Response #1

Classmates can use this function but you, as administrator, will get an email about it. You then have the option of approving the announcement posting. I have had this happen with me so I know it works. Good luck. Tam

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 4:22 PM - Response #2

Tam is right. It's there because your Members can post an Announcement, but nothing goes live on your home page until you approve it first. You can also get to your Announcement edit area by clicking on Edit Site Pages, and then clicking the Edit button next to your home page.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 7:22 AM - Response #3

As administrator, how do I actually approve an announcement submitted? I went in and could see it... and I see options to edit or delete, but no option to approve. Do I actually have to cut and paste it into the home screen edit page?

thanks... (sorry if I'm missing something obvious)

Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 10:10 AM - Response #4

Is this fairly new functionality? Because I posted before that people were posting obscene and inappropriate posts and they were being posted without me, as the administrator getting a moderation email first.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 10:11 AM - Response #5

Actually, now that I think about it there have been two more (appropriate posts) this week, and I still have not received an email first. They automatically go live.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 12:22 PM - Response #6

Rachael O'Connor wrote:

As administrator, how do I actually approve an announcement submitted? I went in and could see it... and I see options to edit or delete, but no option to approve. Do I actually have to cut and paste it into the home screen edit page?

thanks... (sorry if I'm missing something obvious)

When you have a pending announcement, just go into your Announcement area and click the edit button next to the pending announcement. And then place a checkmark next to the active column. Don't forget to press the "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the screen.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 12:25 PM - Response #7

Aimee Clary wrote:

Is this fairly new functionality? Because I posted before that people were posting obscene and inappropriate posts and they were being posted without me, as the administrator getting a moderation email first.

Actually, now that I think about it there have been two more (appropriate posts) this week, and I still have not received an email first. They automatically go live.

All announcements come to the Administrator first for approval. They do not go live immmediately on your site. The only exception to this is if a fellow Administrator posts an announcement -- then the announcement would go live immediately. Thus if you are seeing this, you must have made the person posting announcements a Site Administrator. You should go into your Manage Classmates area and remove Administrative privileges from anybody posting announcements on your site that you don't approve of. Once you've done this, when the person tries to post another announcement, it will come to you for approval first instead of going live on your site, and you can simply delete it.

Edited 08/28/08 12:27 PM
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 10:37 PM - Response #8

Brad, I had the same problem as the other person concerning Non-administrators posting announcements without my knowing about it! I have never madeor given anyone adminstrator access. I just went back to check the persons profile and the block is NOT checked. How did she post the announcement???

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 10:43 PM - Response #9

Hi Fred, thanks for asking. Your Classmates can all post announcements. That's one of the features built into your web site. Here's the thing though: When a Classmmate enters an announcement, the announcement does not go live on your site. Instead it goes into your Announcement area, but it's deactivated in there. Then a notice is sent out to you, the Administrator, informating you that a Classmate has entered an announcement. Then you have to go into your Announcements area and actually click on the checkbox to make that Announcement active. Of course, if you don't want to post it, then don't. Or you can edit it as you see fit and then post it. It's entirely up to you. The main point, anyway, is nobody can post something on your Announcement Borad without your prior approval. Thus you have 100% control over what get's put on that board.

Edited 11/26/08 10:44 PM
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 10:56 PM - Response #10

I understand that , but I never recieved a notice of this announcement, never knew it was posted, Next time I was on the site, there it was! I did not even know who posted it until I went to the edit announcement page and saw her name.It just so happended that I liked the post and I cleaned it up for her and added her name to the end of it.

So how did this get by me?

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 10:57 PM - Response #11

Unless I am missing something or I have done something wrong, there must be a bug. Please double check my site and make sure this cant happend again.

Thanks

Fred

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 11:27 PM - Response #12

The announcement cannot go live on your site, or be seen by any Classmates, until you have read it and activated it. Yes, you can see it in your Announcement edit area, which is normal. You're supposed to see it there. You're the only one who can see it though. Well, you and any other Administrators anyway, but I believe you said you're the only Administrator. Thus nobody but you can see the pending announcement until such time that you personally approve it.

You'll have to take my word for it, the Announcements functionality is working just fine and hasn't changed in months. The functionality on your site is shared amongst all sites. If you want to test it out yourself, ask a Classmate to post another Announcement, and then go to your home page and look at your live Announcements board. You will see that the Announcement is in fact NOT there. Not until you approve it and activate it.

Edited 11/26/08 11:28 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.