ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classmates with no email address

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/20/09 07:21 PM Views: 4187 Replies: 18
Tuesday, January 20, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Some of my classmates have no email address so they cannot add information to their profile. However, they have access to the Internet so they are able to at least see other accounts and could add their own info and what not. Any suggestions for how to get past not having an email address?

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 at 7:38 PM - Response #1

Hi Rod,

Have them get a free email address at Google or Yahoo. Both are web based email meaning they can check their email from anywhere they have an Internet connection. This will allow them to make a profile, receive emails sent to the class and subscribe to other classmate profiles if they choose. It is free and easy for them to sign up.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 10:03 PM - Response #2

We have some classmates that do not have internet or a computer. So they don't have an email account. I have all their contact info. How can I show their information under classmates if they don't have an email account.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 10:05 PM - Response #3

1) Click your Manage Classmates link
2) Click the Enter/Edit Classmates button
3) Select the second radio button at the top of the page

This will show Admin-entered Classmate info even if the Classmate has not joined your web site.

Edited 05/26/09 10:05 PM
Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 10:15 PM - Response #4

Yes, as an admin I can see the info but I need to allow other classmates to see the information (after I get approval from each classmate).

My reason for asking this is: the classmate that is helping me plan the reunion lives in our hometown and I want to allow users to see their phone number and address but they do not have a computer or internet. I could always add it to the home page but I wanted to get fellow classmates to use the classmates tab to connect with other classmates as well.

I am surprized with the number of classmates that don't have computers/internet. Even though I have entered their contact info it still shows them as missing.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 3:41 AM - Response #5

Follow the steps in my response above. That really will allow Classmates to see admin-entered Classmate info. Give it a whirl.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 at 11:55 PM - Response #6

Reply from May 26, 2009
RE: Classmates with no email address
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 10:05 PM

This will show Admin-entered Classmate info even if the Classmate has not joined your web site.

I tried this and It's not working. I have the second radio button on. You go to a classmate that I have updated and her information is not showing. Has something changed since May?

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 3:42 AM - Response #7

No. While viewing the Classmate's Profile try clicking refresh on your browser to ensure you're viewing the latest version of the page.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 7:27 AM - Response #8

KAREN KELLY wrote:

Reply from May 26, 2009
RE: Classmates with no email address
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 10:05 PM

I tried this and It's not working. I have the second radio button on. You go to a classmate that I have updated and her information is not showing. Has something changed since May?

For example, I can see information for classmate Andy Bl. who has not created a profile yet. After all of the information that the admin entered, it says "If you are ANDY, please click here to update your profile!"

Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 2:55 AM - Response #9

After turning on the 2nd radio button (i.e.
"Show Classmate details even if Classmates have not created an account.") I noticed that the site displayed admin entered profile info (spouse, children, comments, etc) to a visitor who hasn't registered on the system, i.e. any anonymous browser of the site. Meanwhile, profiles that have been created, with the public access attribute turned off, require the anonymous user to login.

As displaying the admin entered profile info to public might be contrary to the classmates' ultimate wishes (i.e. they choose turn off public access after they actually created a profile), I thought this could be exposing information so I turned the feature off again.

Any thoughts on this potential problem?

Edited 10/22/09 2:57 AM
Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 4:25 AM - Response #10

You shouldn't enter confidential/sensitive/private information on behalf of a non site member before they've had a chance to join. That's really what it comes down to. You could always lock their Profile, but of course doing this prior to joining would make it difficult for them to join once they've found your site.

Thinking out loud here, one thing we could do when an Administrator selects that second radio button to show Admin-provided non member content is display a checkbox below it that reads:

"Only show Administrator-entered Profile information to logged-in members."

Yea, I think that's a good idea. Whatcha think?

Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 4:38 AM - Response #11

---Brad wrote---
Thinking out loud here, one thing we could do when an Administrator selects that second radio button to show Admin-provided non member content is display a checkbox below it that reads:

"Only show Administrator-entered Profile information to logged-in members."

Yea, I think that's a good idea. Whatcha think?
---Brad wrote---

That option was what I was thinking of, it sure makes a sense to me. To be put on the task queue??? Smile

Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 5:49 PM - Response #12

Now in queue. We have a few things to turn out here before we do that, but it shouldn't be too long.

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM - Response #13

I have followed your 3 steps but the profile is still not visible. Please check to see what I am doing incorrectly. The classmate is Tom Krause. Thank you.

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM - Response #14

You have to complete at least one real Profile question. The only thing you have in there is address info.

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 7:09 PM - Response #15

Thank you!

Thursday, July 22, 2010 at 7:34 AM - Response #16

Brad Switzer wrote:

You have to complete at least one real Profile question. The only thing you have in there is address info.

I apologize for bringing up this old thread but it fits my situtation exactly. We would like for classmates to have access to contact information for classmates who have not joined the site. Adding an answer to a profile question seems to add an unnecessary step which would have to be done for every classmate who has not joined, a tedious process. (The original contact information was uploaded from an excel spreadsheet).

Why not display the Contact Info when the second radio box is checked and eliminating all the other steps?

Also, can I make the "Allow Classmates to see my address and phone number" box checked as a default?

The see first classmate on our list as an example.

Thanks,
Woody

Edited 07/22/10 7:37 AM
Thursday, July 22, 2010 at 1:52 PM - Response #17

I'd have quite a few concerns here. Although technically I realize you can already do this by just adding one extra piece of Profile info and thus displaying everything including contact info you've toggled on, I hesitate to make this even easier for people. It gets into privacy issues, security concerns, and usability concerns, including the fact I'm concerned some people may inadvertently do this if we make it this easy. At a very minimum we'd have to make this optional, and even then we'd have to try to educate people that if they do this they should only do it in conjunction with the New Classmate verification feature turned on. Otherwise admins would have the ability to display Classmates' private contact info without their consent, somebody could hijack an unused name with New Classmate Verification feature turned off, and then literally mine any data on the site for purposes of solicitation, sending unwanted mass emails etc. Even if we try to make it clear in the instructions, not everybody is going to read the instructions, that's a given.

Further, the default on that box needs to be off as it's part of the core system, so while I understand it's somewhat of a pain to toggle that on for all Profiles, privacy and security concerns prevail here. If we made it this easy to do as you're suggesting I'm absolutely confident this will lead to trouble. The long and the short of it is that you can already go in to the Profile, toggle the private info to display, and add just one piece of extra Profile info to make the whole thing display. Since at a minimum you'd have to go into the Profile to toggle the private info anyhow, I don't think it's much more difficult to add 1 extra piece of info while you're in there.

Sorry that's not the answer you wanted. I'm sure you have very valid reasons for wanting to show this info, but I have to consider the needs of 10,000 web sites here and have to decide how stock parts of the system must function. In the interest of privacy and security concerns for other sites I'm going to ask you to continue doing it the hard way. The good news is, at least you can accomplish this the hard way. Smile

Edited 07/22/10 3:50 PM
Thursday, July 22, 2010 at 2:59 PM - Response #18

I've got a 3 Reunion Team members calling classmates who don't have internet access, collecting the profile answers -- and getting permission to make that information available to other classmates who are logged in to our website.

We explain the security of our profiles and explain that because they don't have email addresses, we'll include their telephone and mailing addresses in what other classmates can see so those people who view their profile will be able to get in touch.

Some say "no" -- don't want anything posted. Some say "OK" to the profile but not the address/phone and some say "yes" to the whole package.

We always try to get an answer to the profile question about their plans to attend the reunion next year (Yes/No/Maybe) and we do post that much of the 'profile' if nothing else.

Since we started calling, we've posted about 30 such profiles. My callers say it takes 20-40 minutes to collect the information, depending on how talkative they are.

Each of the callers has admin-access to the "manage classmates" area. (I walked them through the process in a 20 minute phone call.) The callers type the answers from the class member they are talking with directly into the detail and profile areas and may come back after the call to edit the typing and answers before clicking on the box "Show this as an update..." They DO NOT click that box until they're sure the data is all complete and accurate.

Those profiles look exactly like the member-completed ones, except for the bottom which looks like this: (Click to view)

http://screencast.com/t/YWM4NjU4Yzct

Edited 07/22/10 3:00 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.