ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Help w/ Link fr Home to Announcements

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/14/09 10:54 PM Views: 1435 Replies: 9
Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Hi,

I thought I knew how to do this, but at the top of my Home Pg. is button "Click here/New stuff".

I want this to link to the first Announcement which is an Airplane pulling a Banner called Announcements.

If I try to do an Anchor, it says there is none, so Annoumcements must be considered a separate Page.

But where is the URL that I copy? If I copy where I edit the Annoucements the regular Link takes me to that Edit page.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong please? Thanks! N

Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 11:23 PM - Response #1

Hi Nancee,

I did it for you. I edited your announcement with the plane and added an anchor called "Plane_Anchor". This is done with

I then went and put a link around the click here graphic to be CLICK HERE

Since the Announcement is included on the same page, but the Home Page doesn't know about the anchor when you edit the home page, it has to be done manually.

Kyle

Edited 11/14/09 11:51 PM
Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 11:43 PM - Response #2

Thanks Kyle; I sent you a private message!

Friday, January 7, 2011 at 1:59 PM - Response #3

How do I do an anchor link the other way around--from a gallery page to an announcement? I'm trying to link the word 'Subscribe' at the bottom of http://www.sphsaa-classmates.org/class_gallery.cfm?gallery_link_id=6020 to the announcement "join & paypal/form" that has an anchor called "SUBSCRIBE" - what's the trick to getting the exact announcement URL? Or do you use the Home Page URL?

Friday, January 7, 2011 at 2:14 PM - Response #4

Mary - Here are some directions for adding an anchor link:

Linking to an Anchor on the page.

Step 1 - Add your Anchors to the page by scrolling to the spot on the page where you wish to add your anchor. Click in the Editor Window where you would like to add the anchor. In the Editor Window buttons, second row, locate the button that literally looks like an anchor. Name the anchor and click Ok. I'll called mine... example.

Step 2 - Scroll to the part of the page where you wish to add your hyperlink and click in the editor window and either type and highlight or highlight existing text that will become your link.

Step 3 - Click the button in the Editor Window that is in the second row, about 2/3 to the right, that looks like a globe with a chain on it. This is the Insert / Edit Link button. Click the dropdown under the Link Type and select the option that says "Link to anchor in the text". Under Select an Anchor By Anchor Name, click the dropdown and select the one that says "example", as you have already named the anchor in Step 1 above. Click Ok.

Step 4 - Click Save Changes and visit the page to test the link.

Friday, January 7, 2011 at 2:42 PM - Response #5

The name of the anchor is not listed. Target is not only on a different page, it's in an announcement on the home page (which technically isn't really on the home page?). I don't know how to get the correct URL format of the announcement because the only time I see that is in admin edit mode.

Edited 01/07/11 2:44 PM
Friday, January 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM - Response #6

To get it to work, you need to "Trick" the system. Even though the announcement will appear on the home page eventually, when editing the announcement, it isn't there yet. So just go ahead and create an anchor on the announcement with the exact name as the one you want to link to. Then create your link as Scott directed, then go in and delete your anchor because the home page already has an anchor of that name.

Friday, January 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM - Response #7

I tried that and it didn't work. Maybe I missed something, or didn't hold my tongue right. Was hoping you could give me a hint on the source code so I could do it manually. Will try again later when my brain checks back in. I think these gallery pages are a little tricky, too.

Friday, January 7, 2011 at 9:46 PM - Response #8

Try using this as your URL when you create your link URL in your gallery text

http://www.sphsaa-classmates.org/class_index.cfm#SUBSCRIBE

This will go to the home page and the SUBSCRIBE anchor.

Friday, January 7, 2011 at 10:41 PM - Response #9

That did it! I had looked at the home page source without the /class_index.cfm, no anchor name within it. Now the anchor shows up there. Thanks, Kyle.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.