ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Threaded Forums - Moderate New Topics

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/07/09 09:00 AM Views: 1613 Replies: 6
Friday, August 7, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Is it possible to enter 2 different e-mail addresses at the same time to be notified of new posts? Or - if I assign someone as a moderator and I still retain my Admin rights, would both the address entered here and the Admin people receive notification?

Another question....under Edit Users. I only have a handful of people listed here yet I know that I have others who have accessed the forums and entered info there. Why would they all not be listed? Are these people who created a forum profile?

Thanks.

Edited 08/07/09 9:44 AM
Saturday, August 8, 2009 at 12:13 AM - Response #1

You can't enter two email addresses for 1 login in the forums, no. Forum subscription emails are sent to your primary email address.

If you assign somebody to be Forum Moderator, then forum subscription emails are going to go to that person's email address. That person will still need to subscribe to all new posts though, just like any Classmate who wants to receive forum subscription emails.

Can you give me an example of somebody who has posted something in your forums who is not listed as a forum member? In a sense the forums are a separate entity. You don't show up as a member until such time that you've chosen to participate.

Saturday, August 8, 2009 at 8:54 AM - Response #2

OK. So to be sure I have this right.... On my own login as root administrator, under FORUM PREFERENCES, my e-mail is shown in the Moderator e-mail. I receive e-mails when items are posted. Under EDIT USERS, I have one person who I have allowed access to Moderate Topics and Moderate All Posts and I have checked the specific forums he can moderate.

My questions:

1. Does he receive e-mails when new topics or replies are posted or must be subscribe to every forum? It says "This user will receive new topic notification from All New Topics", though he is not currently subscribed to any threads.

2. Does he see Forum Preferences when he logs in and, if so, I presume his own e-mail is shown? Can he change anything in the Preferences or is that restricted to me as Root Administrator (or to anyone with Administrator access)?

Finally, the following is a sampling of people who show on my MEMBERS listed (haved logged in to the forums) but do not appear in the EDIT USERS tab, though all have posted to the forums (not only visited). There are others like this.

Dag/Beth Jensen
Harold Segal
James/Sharon Zanotto
Tilda Kaplan
Ken/Nancy Villani
Sharon/Peter Ojerholm

Sunday, August 9, 2009 at 6:51 PM - Response #3

Quote:

1. Does he receive e-mails when new topics or replies are posted or must be subscribe to every forum? It says "This user will receive new topic notification from All New Topics", though he is not currently subscribed to any threads.

As a moderator with the "moderate all posts" setting, he should be receiving all topics and responses for the forums he is listed as moderator on. He does not need to be "subscribed".

Quote:

2. Does he see Forum Preferences when he logs in and, if so, I presume his own e-mail is shown? Can he change anything in the Preferences or is that restricted to me as Root Administrator (or to anyone with Administrator access)?

No, he does not see the Forum Preferences link, as that is for your site administrators only.

Anyone with site administrator privileges for your site sees that.

Quote:

Finally, the following is a sampling of people who show on my MEMBERS listed (haved logged in to the forums) but do not appear in the EDIT USERS tab, though all have posted to the forums (not only visited). There are others like this.

I'll have to investigate this further. It should show anyone who has visited the forums while logged in.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 7:06 PM - Response #4

Quote:

Dag/Beth Jensen
Harold Segal
James/Sharon Zanotto
Tilda Kaplan
Ken/Nancy Villani
Sharon/Peter Ojerholm

Dag/Beth Jensen - on page 5 of the member directory. Segal on page 2. I'm assuming the rest are there too.

To make things a little easier, I've added a sort to the member directory in the forums that sorts the users by last name.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 7:26 AM - Response #5

I realize they are in the list of MEMBERS. The do not appear when I click EDIT USERS. There are only a total of 8 names on that list and none of these names appear there. Not that I need t right now but that is the only place where I can prevent a member from participating in the forums.

Follow-up question. I know I see a count of views on each topic posted. Is there any way for me as administrator to see who the people are that viewed them?

Thanks again.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 9:27 AM - Response #6

Sorry about that, there was a bug in the listing of users in the Edit Users section of the forum, and that is now fixed.

No, there is no way to know who viewed a topic, admin or otherwise.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.