ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Suggestion for New "Notify Me" Feature in Member Function Section

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 07/08/12 02:19 AM Views: 1456 Replies: 6
Sunday, July 8, 2012 at 2:19 AM

I have a request/suggestion for the new "Notify Me" feature in the Member Function section. Would it be possible to have a toggle button (on/off) available to the Administrator for the Notify me options we want visible to members?

Although I administrate several high school websites, I have a couple of sites that are NOT alumni high school websites. Some of the "Notify me" choices for the members do not pertain to them at all.

For instance:

(1) On one site the members do not have access to other member profiles (can't even see them) so they would not use the 2nd choice when "Someone leaves a comment on my profile".

(2) The 7th choice would not apply since they should not be privy to when a new Member joins the site (it's a private investor site).

(3) The 9th and 10th choices would never apply since we don't use the "In Memory" section at all.

Please let me know if this is possible soon or will have to be put on the back burner for a 2013 update.

Thanks,

Bruce

Edited 07/08/12 2:20 AM
Sunday, July 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM - Response #1

How about if the "Classmate Profiles" page is active, show the "Someone leaves a comment on my profile" or "question.

Also, the 7th choice not show up unless "Classmate Profiles" is active

The 9th & 10th choices wouldn't show up if the "In Memory" page is not active.

Does that work for you?

Monday, July 9, 2012 at 8:00 AM - Response #2

Bruce,

Thanks for pointing this out. It is now fixed that if "Classmate Profiles" is not active, it won't ask you those "Notify Me" questions.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 6:30 PM - Response #3

Kyle, I was out of town for the weekend for our 34th Anniversary. Sorry I could not respond until now. These are great updates. I haven't had a chance to test it yet but will. I'm sure it is fine though.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM - Response #4

Kyle,

I just checked the changes and they look fine. Although we may plan an event, we would probably not use the term "reunion", where it says "a new reunion or event is being planned" I guess that we can live with that one since most of the sites really need to have it. That may be something to consider an alternate term for on non alumni websites, in the future, but not critical for now.

One other question regarding page notifications: I noticed when I recently updated a page, at the bottom you can click a box to send a notice that the page was updated to "All Classmates". GREAT FEATURE! I used it on my non-alumni website and it works great except the notice goes out to ALL members. I realized too late that I only wanted the notice to go out to a certain group of individuals (our active investor group) and not to all the rest who are on the list (the non-participating subscribers) who would only get email notifications periodically, and not project page updates.

Any ideas on how to do this in the future? It's a great feature and makes the process of notification easy and not so time consuming as creating an email, but I can't use it if I can't be selective. Future suggestion: It would be nice to consider some selections there for the future. Very Happy

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 at 10:40 AM - Response #5

Since, as a school class based service, the design of the site assumes a sort of fundamental equivalence between all the members of the site, there is not really the kind of broad appeal among our user base for the kind of targeting you're requesting that would justify the development effort to implement it. This is one of the unfortunate shortcomings of using our current system for non-school-related sites.

The best way to achieve what you're looking for in a site with divided groups of members is to just use the mailing lists feature in Email the Class and send out a notice to the applicable group when you make the updates.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM - Response #6

Eric,

That makes sense and I thought it would be the response I'd get. Since you are creating other templates for other types of sites, this would be a future feature to put on the list.

Thanks,

Bruce

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.