ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

ADDING DECEASED TEACHERS

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/29/12 07:18 PM Views: 1661 Replies: 14
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 7:18 PM

IS THERE A PLACE FOR DECEASED TEACHERS/FACULTY TO BE ADDED?

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 8:32 PM - Response #1

With a Single Year website like yours (not multiple graduating years), you must add them as a guest, then add them like your normal classmates to the IN MEMORY page (Edit Site Pages, Edit IN MEMORY, then choose them from the drop-down, then click the ADD button)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 8:46 PM - Response #2

I'm confused (as usual). I've been putting teachers into the teacher portion of the site (is this only for multi-year sites?) and then just what you indicate. Wouldn't putting them in as guests put them at the end of the list of classmates?

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM - Response #3

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you have to add them as a classmate first. Then mark them in memory and then go back in and change them to a guest.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM - Response #4

We had to do that with my single year site. We had a classmate who was very diligent in collecting obituaries. We ended up with quite a list http://www.batavia61.com/class_inmemory.cfm in the Guest section of In Memory.

Edited 02/29/12 8:56 PM
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 8:56 PM - Response #5

Joe,

Teachers are only for multi-year websites. That is why you have a "Manage Teachers" link.

Yes, Manage Classmates, Add new classmate, then on the DETAILS page, choose "Show as Guest", then after they are added as a guest (usually, you can add some parenthesis and say something like "(Science Teacher)" to signify why they are added as a guest). Then go to the Edit Site Pages, Edit IN MEMORY page and choose the guest teacher.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 1:25 AM - Response #6

Kyle Erickson wrote:

With a Single Year website like yours (not multiple graduating years), you must add them as a guest, then add them like your normal classmates to the IN MEMORY page (Edit Site Pages, Edit IN MEMORY, then choose them from the drop-down, then click the ADD button)

Thanks Kyle. I appreciate this information. I think it is nice way to honor these people who have meant so much to our class. I am curious though. Could we be given an additional option on the Details page that would appear on the page as "Show as _____"? (We would be able to type in any word or short phrase we would like to see substitued for the blank space.) For example, We might want to use the word "honorees" or another word or multple words that would be suite our neeeds and / or intentions. Please pardon me for not seeing it before if it was previously addresses in print in these forums, but I don't recall reading about it. If it have been, perhaps you could give a link to the rela,ted discussion.

Edited 03/01/12 1:51 AM
Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 12:44 PM - Response #7

Jim Minor:

Thanks for posting your website link and showing how you displayed the In Memory teachers. You have an interesting Home Page too with a lot of features and announcements. One thing I did notice were all the links you have shown in the left column, the ones with a dash ( - ) before the name. I thought we were limited to 8 Custom Links but you have many more. I would like to know the details of how you set these up. Thanks in advance.

Edited 03/01/12 1:05 PM
Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 1:13 PM - Response #8

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your interest. To get extra pages many of us use unadvertised "features" of Class Creator. Both the Gallery Creator and Survey Maker features allow you to create extra pages. Down side of both is there isn't the depth of back ups that the conventional 8 CC Customizable pages offer. Sort of like working without a net.

Before I caught on I used Survey Maker exclusively for extra pages and that's what you see most on my BHS '61 site, referenced above. I put the leading dashes in the titles just to differentiate them from the CC-supplied pages. The down side of Survey Maker pages is that they're fixed in position w.r.t each other on the menu. Thus, if subsequently you want to add a page between two others, you have to create it at the end and then do a lot of copying/pasting of source code from one page to the next. To help mitigate this I created a lot of "Placeholder #" 1, 2, 3, etc. (initially not activated) between the ones I was setting up when I first started so I minimized having to shift content much later.

I picked up on the Gallery Creator usage more on a second multi-year web site I had, BetaDeltaGamma. It's a little more complicated to set up as you have to create the lead Gallery Page for each intended menu page and then a dummy Gallery "target" page for the lead page to point to. There's never any content in the dummy page but it's necessary for the system to work. In the lead page you have the standard editor. Benefit of this system is that you can shift gallery pages relative to each other at any time. Thus if you want to add a page in the future, you just add the pair (lead and target) at the end and then in the Gallery Creator menu you can shift them up or down.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Edited 03/01/12 1:17 PM
Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM - Response #9

They fixed the missing backup using Gallery Creator when they installed the new editorWink

Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 3:12 PM - Response #10

Many thanks Jim for your reply. That is going to be a big help to us as we want to add extra pages.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 4:58 PM - Response #11

Here's a post I made a few days ago about Gallery Pages that is identical to Jim's with some added info that is not obvious.

--------------------

The first thing is to not add any photos to the main (first) page. Just leave it empty.

Then just add the next page within that gallery and create your page. I call this the sub-gallery. Put your content there.

To get the link name (for example to send to others for review before you make it active):

Temporarily make the "named gallery" active and the first sub-gallery page active. Click left side to display the page and then copy link name shown in the browser bar. Then deactivate the main gallery again if you do not want the link active yet.

You can add multiple pages within a single gallery. This is useful for continuing a topic without creating a giant unwieldy page. IOW, you do not need to create another main gallery link. Do not make any of the additional sub-pages active. IOW, only the main Gallery and the first sub-gallery are "active".

You get the link name for these added sub-galleries by activating the added sub-gallery. Now if you click the main link "gallery" clips appear. Click the one you want. Up pops the sub-page and you can get the link name again. Turn the sub-page off again.

This comes in handy for lots of things. It's how I did the Bothell History link and the 7 pages within it (not counting the "buttons").

Just play with it and make some pages. It's easy to delete test pages or just leave them for future use. I have many test pages. It's how I develop concepts for future use. Sort of like a scrap book of ideas.

The other nice feature of gallery pages if you use these pages instead of custom1, etc, you can reorder the links in any sequence you like.Idea

Edited 03/01/12 4:59 PM
Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 5:43 PM - Response #12

Jack,

This is a great explanation of how to use the Gallery Creator to add pages and sub-pages to our websites! I've been exclusively using gallery pages for content on our site because of the flexibility of sequencing them the way I want in the navigation bar and it was a struggle to figure out how to add multiple sub-pages that have my links and not the paper clips! This explanation is the best I've seen. Thanks! LaughingLaughingLaughing

Saturday, March 3, 2012 at 12:13 AM - Response #13

I like that Alice. I'm ging to try it. I let you know. Mine is a class of 1963 w/ only 75 girls. Teachers were on 2 hands. The youngest, if still alive, would be 76 yrs old.
Barbara

Monday, March 12, 2012 at 9:50 PM - Response #14

Thanks, everyone, info is quite helpful

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.