ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Key words for classmates database

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 11/14/09 01:50 AM Views: 1503 Replies: 3
Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 1:50 AM

I'd like to have a keywords field in a dedicated field. For example "varsity wrestling" "cheerleader" "national merit scholar" "yearbook" "national honor society" "math club" etc.

A new feature would then allow me to select specific records for display (by me and maybe by classmates) and email (only me) those 'found' records based on the search.

Attendance at a reunion always depends a great deal on who else will be there that the classmate knows.

I believe this kind of feature would allow me to reconnect small groups of classmates for special online events such as a chat for varsity baseball players or all jocks, or math club members.

I could use the same feature to put together classmates who attended a specific elementary or middle school or college.

I could email those who attended a specific elementary school when a story is posted about that school in our Classmates Forums.

I see this keywords field as part of the profile -- and similar to the admin only window.

I think entering the keywords is going to have to be an admin function to be certain that the words are consistent i.e. Cheer, cheerleader, cheer leading

Anybody else out there think this would be useful to their class website?Question

Edited 11/14/09 1:51 AM
Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 10:14 AM - Response #1

Yes, I'd like to have about 5 extra fields for tracking different things on alumni. They could be named just 1-5 or anything we can use for whatever we want. I want most of those to be visible only to the admins, or only to that one classmate.

In addition to honors & positions like you've named, I want to know which people have paid to join our alumni association, when their membership will expire and their association member number.

Another one I use is "Status" which I code for NoMail, NoEmail, NoCalls, EmailOnly, Spouse, Lost, OutofCountry, NoInterest, NoContact, Survivor, etc.

I have to maintain a separate database (Excel) to keep track of these things. The fun part is merging them to keep them both updated--have tricks for that, too. Would be great if I could just download the classmates list and it all be there.

Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 11:03 AM - Response #2

Another tool other social networking sites use is the ability for an individual to create groups. So in this case, there could be a wrestling group, a cheer leading group.

Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 2:31 PM - Response #3

Out of town but will take a better look at keywords when I return. There's going to have to be an advanced feature set experienced Admins can turn on selectively, this will probably be one of them. That way we don't cloud the interface for newer Admins and/or those who don't need the feature at all. Allows you to do what you want while keeping the interface simple and usable by others.

Regarding groups, many Admins have created password protected user forums for groups very successfully. It's a nice way for groups to chat privately, trade photos, share videos, transfer files etc.

Edited 11/14/09 2:34 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.