ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Home Page Problem (Again) :-(...

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 02/21/10 11:35 AM Views: 2072 Replies: 21
Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 11:35 AM

I had a problem with spacing on my homepage a while back and I believe it was Kyle who helped me out.

I made a change to my homepage. I now have a table at the top of the page. Problem - there seems to be a lot of white space above the table, which I'd like to remove. I'd like the table to be higher. How can I fix this? Thanks.

Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 11:50 AM - Response #1

There's the EASY way to fix this and then HARD way to fix this:

EASY WAY: Click so the cursor is blinking just above your opening table. And then press the backspace key 6 times. Save page, problem solved.

HARD way: Click the source button in the upper left corner of your editor. You'll see where your opening

tag starts. Just above it you'll also see this block of code:

All of those P tags just stand for "new paragraph" and in this case they're just adding excessive white space to the page. The cente tags and other stuff between them aren't doing anything at all here. I.E. you have no actual content between any of these paragraph tags. So you want to select the whole group of excessive code and delete it.

Why might you want to do it the hard way vs. the easy way? Because if you are looking at code, you can ensure you've got every last thing out of there that would be adding a white space. If you just press backspace in visual view it's possible something could get left in there.

Don't worry about making a mistake if you try deleting extra code from code view. If you mess up the page just use your built in Page Backup feature to restore the page to the last saved version.

Edited 02/21/10 11:50 AM
Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM - Response #2

OK. I've deleted all the "junk" there and now it is located at top. Thanks.

Two Follow-up questions...

How about the extra space after this table and before the first horizontal line? I'm sure one of my table starts/stops must be wrong but I can't figure it out. (Just a "little bit" of knowledge with tables is dangerous! LOL)

Finally, I thought I had remembered Kyle (or you) giving me some code to put at the very top of the homepage that would prevent things from overflowing into the right hand boxes (who's online, where they live, etc.) I can't find the info now but I know I had added it at that time and now I do not have it there. Does this make sense to you?

Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM - Response #3

It's the same procedure from above. Click somewhere after the white space you don't want, and press backspace to delete it. In this specific instance you would click to to the left of your horizontal rule and then just press backspace to delete the extra white space you don't want.

To do the same thing from the code view, you'd want to see where your

closes. And then look what comes next that would be causing the extra space. If you look in there you'll see this exact line of code:

All this line of code does is tell the browser to insert 2 white spaces (the P tag tells the browser to put in a new paragraph, which means 2 blank lines of white space). Then you've got an align left that doesn't actually do anything because there's no content in there, and then the paragraph tag closes. I.E. this whole line of code does nothing other than put in 2 lines of blank space. So you would just select this line of code and delete it.

There's usually no reason to go into code view for problems like this, I'm just teaching. If you ever see extra white space, just click somewhere at the end of it and start pressing backspace until all of it is gone. The vast majority of the time that's all you need to do.

Regarding your other question, I know the tag you're talking about, although that tag does not specifically stop content from flowing over the right boxes (although it could have that impact in some cases). You don't need that tag anyway though because you're not even having that problem. If you want to know more about that tag though:

1) Click our FAQs link above
2) Click Questions About Maintaining Your Site
3) Read Question #19

Edited 02/21/10 12:44 PM
Participant: Log in to see names Monday, February 22, 2010 at 11:34 AM - Response #4

Thanks for the education, Brad. Always like to learn new things.

I have one member who is using Safari on a MAC. With my latest changes, he tells me that the palm tree photo on the right is overlapping his "Logged In" and "Who's On Line" boxes. I took a shot and inserted that extra line of code from Item #19 and asked him to try again. Still the same. Any ideas?

Participant: Log in to see names Monday, February 22, 2010 at 12:21 PM - Response #5

I took that code back out. Smile

Safari likes to be difficult that way sometimes with div tags and things that were in there. As a simple fix I just took your opening info and popped it in a table instead of a div tag. Safari displays it fine now.

Participant: Log in to see names Monday, February 22, 2010 at 12:52 PM - Response #6

Great! I checked with him and it now displays fine. So - as long as I always stick to 420 pixels I should be OK with a table?

Edited 02/22/10 12:53 PM
Participant: Log in to see names Monday, February 22, 2010 at 12:55 PM - Response #7

Yes. I love people who can recite the pixel restrictions. Smile Good for you. Yes 420 is the magic number, and if you see that happening again and you create a 420 pixel table and put your contents inside of it, you'll solve the Safari problem every time. Technically Safari shoudln't have overlapped the div tags either. No other browser does that. It's just one of those weird Safari things that you sometimes have to work around. By the way, Safari is available for the PC, just go to apple.com and download it. That way you can see what your Safari users are seeing, and it makes it much easier to fix problems too when you can see them yourself.

Participant: Log in to see names Monday, February 22, 2010 at 10:21 PM - Response #8

Thanks again. Remember what I said about "a little bit of knowledge"? OK....so I downloaded Safari. I had previously downloaded Firefox. So, I figure between IE and these two, I should have the vast majority of my users covered.

So...I was checking out Firefox and Safari. Can you tell me why, in both these browsers, all of the text in my Coming Soon - Photo Gallery section appears as bold? I thought I had the right source in there to remove the bold after the words "Photo Gallery". In fact, it appears correctly in IE.

Same for my entire section Tips/Guidelines on Rent/Sale Forum Entries. In IE and Safari the section looks fine. But in Firefox, it look enormous. I probably have some "junk" in the source code Embarassed. Hopefully, you can tell me where. Thanks so much.

Participant: Log in to see names Tuesday, February 23, 2010 at 4:54 PM - Response #9

Hi Barbara,

There was a tag in the code that started at the beginning of that paragraph and ended after the paragraph tags. Internet Explorer ignored that and used the bold tags you had within the paragraph - the other browsers used the paragraph tags. If you ever see that again just click on source and search for the word and either move them when you want them or take them out.

Participant: Log in to see names Tuesday, February 23, 2010 at 6:39 PM - Response #10

Thanks, Jessica. Can you also tell me about my second question above - about my Tips/Guidelines section. I have searched and searched. It appears to me to be the same 10 pt font and I don't see anything changing the actual font from Verdana. It should all be the same as the previous section. Yet, in Firefox that whole section appears larger than the rest of the page. But in IE and Safari, it looks OK. I'm sure I am missing something.

Participant: Log in to see names Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 12:00 AM - Response #11

The font looks the same size to me in all three. You might need to clear your browser cache and reload the page to make sure you are seeing the current view of the page.

Participant: Log in to see names Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 8:53 AM - Response #12
Home Page Firefox.pdf

I've cleared the cache, cleared the history, re-booted, changed the zoom both up and down....all of the above. The attached is a snapshot of how this section looks in Firefox only on my PC. Any other ideas?

Participant: Log in to see names Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 11:09 AM - Response #13

There are some tags

Tips/Guidelines on Rent/Sale Forum Entries

Week#, Bldg/Unit#, Type of Unit (Studio, 1-bed

I think these codes come from when you edit your text in Microsoft Word.

Participant: Log in to see names Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 7:37 PM - Response #14

Kyle,

Strange thing is....the STRONG tags are coming from CC. When you highlight text and then click the "bold" icon in the editor, the source shows STRONG. So, I went in and manually changed all the STRONGs in that section to Bs. Still looks the same in Firefox. Here's the other wierd thing....there are other STRONGs in the next section and they appear fine. Also - this section look as if the font for the whole thing is larger than the rest of the page.

I guess it's not a real big deal but it is driving me nuts to try and figure it out! And - I am hoping others don't see it that way. I don't understand why it looks this way to me and looks OK to Jessica. I downloaded the latest version of Firefox to see if that was it but NG.

Participant: Log in to see names Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 8:14 PM - Response #15

I have a spacing problem too this is what it looks like. I am not sure what to delete.

Some other Great Sites to visit, just

Click below:

www.hemetalumni.org/

www.alumniclass.com/hemet

Participant: Log in to see names Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 8:38 PM - Response #16

I also have a problem with the first gallery I created. I think. Is there suppose to be a large space between the name and the gallery. This is what the source looks like.

Participant: Log in to see names Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 8:40 PM - Response #17

It did not paste right you might have to look at my page.
Thank you for your help.

Participant: Log in to see names Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 1:17 AM - Response #18

Sherri,

You need to go into your Gallery Creator, click edit, and then do either of the following:

1) Click your cursor somewhere near the bottom of the page, and then press your Backspace key 7 or 8 times or so. Then save your page.

2) Click the Source button in the upper left corner of your page. Remove all of those P tags. Those are just paragraph tags that are currently doing nothing but creating a bunch of unwanted space.

Your home page looks ok to me, but if there are spaces you don't want, same thing applies. Click somewhere after the unwanted spaces, then press your backspace key until they are gone.

Participant: Log in to see names Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 2:30 AM - Response #19

Barbara,

is an ordinary tag that the editor ads. There shouldn't be anything about a tag in particular though that would cause display issues amongst the major web browsers.

I'm seeing your site normally in all browsers too. But then we may not all be using the exact same version of every browser. Once you get some extra code on your page you can start to have a few of these pesky differences between the browsers. For good measure I rean a code striper on your home page, which removed about 30 tags that weren't really doing anything. This may or may not solve the issue for you, but I thought it was worth a try.

Participant: Log in to see names Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM - Response #20

Thanks, Brad. This gets stranger and stranger. I asked a few of my members who use Firefox to let me know what they see. One person uses FF 3.5.8 on the MAC OS and had no problems...saw everything as it should be.

The second person is strange (or at least his experience was!). When he viewed with FF 3.6 on a PC (windows based) he saw no problems. When he viewed with FF 3.6 on a MAC OS machine, the right hand photo at the top overlapped a little into the login box (the issue you had fixed by making it a table). I then asked him to clear his cache and try again. He did this on his FF/MAC combo. Page appears fine before he logs in. After login, picture overlaps login box again. Now - here's the very strange part. In Safari/MAC the exact opposite happens.

On my issue, since I couldn't get to the root of my larger appearing font in that one section, I re-keyed the entire thing directly in the editor and did all my bolding, etc. there. It now appears fine in my FF.

Participant: Log in to see names Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 8:51 PM - Response #21

Personally I don't see any possible way that overlapping issue could still be happening in any browser. Somehow or another it must be coming from his cache. At least that's my guess.

Although I think your particular page in this case is having more cross browser issues than normal, you're experiencing the "woes" of web developers trying to make their sites appear the same in all web browsers. Take 4 major browsers now multiplied by 2 common platforms and now throw in various versions of those browsers, and you've now got 20 things or so on the table.

Fortunately I don't think this is an overly huge problem most of the time, you have one of those scenarios that for whatever reason are presenting cross browser display variances. Rather than checking a zillion things you might try putting your home page through browsershots.org and get a quick snapshot of how your site looks everywhere. This can help you determine if somebody is reporting an old issue that may be coming from cache, or if they're truly reporting something accurate that you need to address.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.