ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Post a mp4 video to homepage

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/21/21 07:11 PM Views: 425 Replies: 8
Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at 7:11 PM

Can anyone tell me how to add mp4 video to my homepage. I don't want to use youtube.

Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at 7:33 PM - Response #1

Is there a reason you don't want to use Youtube? They have the most compatible playback player for video that works on the most number of devices and browsers. They also host the video so it takes up no file space on your site.

YouTube also has an option to make videos not listed which means it won't appear on their search results.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at 9:02 PM - Response #2

The last time I added youtube it played my video plus it went on to play two other videos that aren't mine. If that did happen I would use youtube.

Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at 10:11 PM - Response #3

Gary,

I think what you are talking about is when YouTube finishes a video, it automatically proceeds to another video of its choosing. At the end of the video, it says "Up Next in 8 seconds" and it gives the title of the next video. Everyone who uses YouTube knows this. So, when they are done watching the YouTube video for your class, they can simply click on CANCEL or exit YouTube, and thus not see any more videos. This is not a big deal.

Edit: see my response #5 below for additional info, based on Joe Prather's response #4.

I recommend you create your own class YouTube channel and load videos to it. Here's the link to our class channel, which has 30 videos of various types, including sports videos and ones of a record album for a school variety show: https://www.youtube.com/user/ELHS1970/videos

Edited 07/22/21 1:52 AM
Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at 11:49 PM - Response #4

You can turn off auto play in You Tube settings.

Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 1:39 AM - Response #5

Thanks for that tip, Joe! For my PC, at the bottom of any YouTube video, just to the left of the "CC" (Subtitles/closed caption) button, there's the Autoplay switch, which is on by default. You can click it to turn Autoplay off. For mobile devices, the Autoplay switch is at the top of the video.

Edited 07/22/21 1:41 AM
Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 9:42 PM - Response #6

Gary badgergary@gmail.com wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to add mp4 video to my homepage. I don't want to use youtube.

You can play an MP4 directly on a page with current browsers. If you want to upload the MP4 to your file vault I can post the code to do that. It's very simple. (I posted it before.)

Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 5:45 PM - Response #7

Yes, please post the code. I would rather be able to just post my own video saved from my computer than from you tube

thank you very much

Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 9:00 PM - Response #8

I forgot, that CC restricts the maximum file size to something like 25MB. That's a pretty short video. So you'd need to use another place to store the video. I use Amazon's AWS to store large files - same one CC uses. It is very inexpensive, but requires more effort.

Anyway, this is the code to show a video directly. All the NEW browsers now support this. Replace with a link to your site.

-- test to see if it plays here --

Edited 07/25/21 9:01 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.