ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

pictures

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/14/13 04:31 PM Views: 1418 Replies: 21
Wednesday, August 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Any word on disappearing pictures? I am losing pictures all over the place.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 at 6:04 PM - Response #1

Hi Ray,
Out of curiosity, are the photos disappearing from pages or from your File vault?

Thursday, August 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM - Response #2

no vault just uploaded on page. If I put all pictures in vault it would be full. I guess CC does not protect the files uploaded this way. I am not sure. This is going to be a nightmare to go back and copy and upload to vault.
Help.

Friday, August 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM - Response #3

Do you mean they were uploaded via the Editor using the editor's Image icon upload or something else?

Edit: OK I think you pasted the image directly into the page. You should be able to go to your page backups to recover since it's just page "data". IOW, it's protected just as much as any of the your site pages.

FYI Pasting makes for a pretty large page download since it's literally a copy of the image expanded in TEXT ASCII format vs hex/binary (depends on how big your images are of course).

Edited 08/16/13 2:24 PM
Friday, August 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM - Response #4

Ray Guim wrote:

no vault just uploaded on page. If I put all pictures in vault it would be full. I guess CC does not protect the files uploaded this way. I am not sure. This is going to be a nightmare to go back and copy and upload to vault.
Help.

Ray, I would say the only way pictures are "protected" (backed-up) is by being uploaded into the File Vault.

Now I am interested... how did you get them on the pages? Copy Image & Paste? Did that work?

Inquiring minds are puzzled, Ray. Wink

Friday, August 16, 2013 at 5:14 PM - Response #5

I guess it was by the editor. I have also used the copy and paste method too. I never realized this would be a problem. I am out of town now but when I get back I am going to see if I can find out what happened.
ray

Friday, August 16, 2013 at 5:14 PM - Response #6

I guess it was by the editor. I have also used the copy and paste method too. I never realized this would be a problem. I am out of town now but when I get back I am going to see if I can find out what happened.
ray

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM - Response #7

Here is a missing picture. http://www.bensalemowls.org/uploads/005275_00790692_bob_mcGonale_78.jpg
How do I get it back?
How do I get to the page backups.
this is really stressing me out. I have hundreds of pictures missing.
Help!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM - Response #8

I went to file vault and it is not there. It looks like this might be maxed out. How many files are allowed? At least that is my guess.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM - Response #9

To my knowledge there is no folder called "uploads" current on CC. Maybe that was an old name and somebody forgot to keep it?

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM - Response #10

I think the problem is that I have run out of space in the "file vault". I checked the files in there against the names and the files in the vault that are listed appear in the "In Memory". The cases where the files are missing are not in the vault.

I am not sure why CC has not jumped in here. They must be out at Starbucks. I guess the first question I have is does CC have these files on some kind of backup? If so can I get them sent to me? The next question is can I buy more space in the vault?

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM - Response #11

Hi Ray,

Wish I could help. Wish I could say, 'look here to be sure' or had an idea for you. I can't imagine your files just disappeared.

Keeping positive thoughts.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM - Response #12

After my post (#11), I recalled this thread started prior to my move.

I had no idea a copy/paste of a photo would actually save on a page.

One more thing, Ray... I read your question of CC having backups but if there were photos on pages with backups, have you tried the back up pages??

If you do not have a cloud account, go for Dropbox.com. (I could give you a link to get credit for our TAP account but would prefer you simply set something up to insure future losses do not occur - not waste another minute.)

... just tryin' to help.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM - Response #13

Gwen,
Backing up "In Memory" files is not really the issue. I never backed up those files because most came from me coping from the newspaper or online somewhere. I guess I can do over the hard way. That however, is not going to do me any good because I am out of room to upload. I am not sure if CC deleted this files by accident or I uploaded too many. I was hoping they would get back from Starbucks but it seems like I am on an Island here.

I do hear crickets.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM - Response #14

Ray you're not even at 20% of your File Vault capacity. YOu should be able to upload thousands of additional photos.

We don't just delete any files. Based on your file name above I'm going to take a guess at this one and suggest you did just copy and paste photos, which unfortunately you cannot do. If you do that you're the only one who can actually see them because they're referencing your own local computer. If you then remove those photos you copied and pasted, or you change their location on your computer, all of your photos will disappear. But again, for everybody else they were never there to begin with -- just you.

The only way to actually put a photo on your web site so others can see it is to upload it. If you do that it will go into your File Vault and that's where it will stay. I'm afraid in this case you're going to need to reupload your images.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM - Response #15

Thank you. Mystery solved. I got lazy and pasted the pic. OK, is there a way to see which files I did this to?
Thank you.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM - Response #16

No, there is no way to tell which classmates have this problem. the only way would be to visit each In Memory classmate to see if you see the blank box where there used to be an image. I think that Internet Explorer shows a box with an X in it when the image is gone. Firefox doesn't show anything.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 2:20 PM - Response #17

What you did I would not call "pasting" pictures. What you listed is a LINK that references a folder on CC that (noted earlier) I've never seen. It looks instead that you have a folder on YOUR computer called "uploads" and if so, that's where all your images are located. All pictures in that folder are possible candidates.

That they ever showed using the LINK URL you gave is odd though. I don't know of any way that can happen. So that's a mystery. It's possible you pasted the"uploads" LINK from your local system, added the rest and never checked maybe?

To be clear about pasting images, Brad's statement is misleading about the ability to paste images directly into a web page (see note I made earlier). There is indeed another way to put images on a web pages that others can see without uploading to the file vault.

Pasting a picture means one literally pastes the image into the page. That's a LEGAL way to paste images. Here's an example of exactly that and has nothing to do with it being on my system. Use a browser's view source to see what it looks likeIdea

See this LINK

Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 10:13 PM - Response #18

I agree with Jack. i.e. I "embedded" a very, very Kool Elvis video onto a page. 3 weeks later, it was gone. Tha was because I only cpoied and pasted the 'link' not the video. When the video wasremoved from 'youtube' so was the link, unbeknownced to me. This is how I began to understand html. Now if you really copied and pasted the photo, the video, the slide show, etc. it would still be there.
I know this is not exactly what you are referring to, but am I right, guys...or should I stay out of this conversation.
Barbara

Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM - Response #19

Yup that's the basic gist. You can stayLaughing

P.S. Barbara, did you let your website http://www.stangelahallacademy1963.com/ expire on purpose?

Somebody here had an image pasted on their home page and I was checking to remember who that was.

Edited 09/05/13 10:23 PM
Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM - Response #20

No. Last Sept. I forgot to pay the annual fee. I'm glad you said something because I have 5 days to renew it this year.
However, we've decided to keep it open to keep our group together and to create a sort of crisis fund to help our own and any of our extended family that needs help. As far as another reunion, I don't know yet.
Barbara
oh, oh!!--- Jack, How do I pay my annual dues? I forgot. (That is ,to keep the domain name.)I believe I'd better pay it tonight.
Barbara

Edited 09/05/13 10:41 PM
Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 11:15 PM - Response #21

If you used classnames.net to register the domain name that's where you pay for your domain name (not CC site). Don't wait too long otherwise they can charge you an arm and a leg.

CC can help you here since they are affiliated with them.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.