ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

"Drop out" former student request to join alumni site

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/25/09 07:17 AM Views: 1838 Replies: 14
Friday, September 25, 2009 at 7:17 AM

Would like to see how other high school alumni sites handled requests from former students who dropped out of class and did not graduate and now want to join their former h.s. class site.... did you place any particular designation by name or put in "guest" member slot??? or, welcomed everyone and just added to your class list????...
Thank you!

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 7:50 AM - Response #1

I put mine in as classmates. (And boy, am I happy they came to the reunion--what treasures they ended up being!)

My guests all have explanations beside their names. "moved away in the 8th grade," "class of '78," "faculty" whatever..I didn't think I needed to add "Ran wild and regretted it" Smile

Edited 09/25/09 7:51 AM
Friday, September 25, 2009 at 1:02 PM - Response #2

Hi Janet,

The way I think about it is that if they attended school with us, they were classmates, regardless of whether they graduated, for whatever reason.

The only persons that I designate as guests are members that fall outside of the years of my multi-year site, or who attended the other high school in town.
I have a separate category for teachers and staff, a perk of having a multi-year site.

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 1:51 PM - Response #3

The more the merrier. I included anyone who was ever in our class.

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 1:54 PM - Response #4

I feel anyone who did not graduate with our class but spent some time in our school system is a guest. I just like to differentiate between graduates and everyone else.

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 2:01 PM - Response #5

I agree that, if they went to our school then they are classmates.
If they dropped out, for any reason, they have had many years to regret it and should be welcomed.

Dave

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 2:04 PM - Response #6

We let anyone in who ever was with the class. You will find people who live in the same town as the school won't be bothered to attend your reunion. The more the merrier I say.

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 2:05 PM - Response #7

I had several who dropped out, but, got their GED's later.. They are included in the classmate list. The people who were with us in earlier grades, but, moved away and didn't graduate at FHS, are included in the guest list, at their request.

The ones who moved away, voiced concern about being included on the site, but, now they are so glad. They have reconnected with people they haven't seen or talked to in years and years.. It's been really neat.

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 2:41 PM - Response #8

We included everyone who attended high school with us, no matter how long they were there. We are all classmates, and after 30 years no one cares about the distinction between who has the piece of paper and who doesn't.

It's about the people and the memories!Very Happy

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 3:21 PM - Response #9

We have a full school multi year site, that is for anyone that went to our school from 1916, when it opened to 1965 when it shut it's doors. It was one of those neighborhood schools that housed grades 1-12. Some of our most faithful members are those that dropped out or moved away. I agree, the more the merrier!

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 3:25 PM - Response #10

I have all 4 years of yearbooks for our class of 1962. Any one who was with us at any time during those years and wants to be with us again "is a classmate" and we welcome them with open arms. Our school was loaded with military families and it was quite common for us to lose a classmate due to their fathers relocation to some other military base. We don't distinguish between dropped out or moved or whatever. We are all of the same class forever. I can't imagine how bad a person might feel if after many years they are told they are not welcome since they did not graduate properly with the rest of us.
Curly Harman

Friday, September 25, 2009 at 3:38 PM - Response #11

We allow anyone who went to school with us whether or not they graduated with us and list them as 'classmates'. Those that didn't graduate with us didn't for a variety of reasons i.e., family moved or they attended a private school at some point during their school years. These classmates have added a lot to our memories and we do consider them classmates.

Many of them attended our 50th reunion last year and have reconnected with old friends and made new ones too.

Others that have asked to join our website and were friends or siblings of our classmates well, we list them as 'guests.'

Virginia

Saturday, September 26, 2009 at 5:14 PM - Response #12

We just had our reunion on Labor Day. I was thrilled that people who had moved away, graduated early or did not graduate at all wanted to be with us. We had a guy who moved away sophomore year and flew in from Dallas. How special is that! If they ever attended school with us in the same grade, they are a classmate. We had about 10 there. They are treasures and more loyal than ones who graduated!

Sunday, September 27, 2009 at 11:01 AM - Response #13

We have a large class so we decided to draw the line at 7th grade. If they were part of the class past elementary school then they were part of the class. No matter what happened to them. We don't single them out or label them they are on the classmates profile list. The more the merrier but we decided somewhere we had to draw a line. That might change the older we get and start loosing more classmates.

Monday, September 28, 2009 at 7:12 PM - Response #14

I did the same thing. I went through our 4 yearbooks and included the folks who were with us at anytime we were in school. for guest members I write a note at the end of their profile what class they were in or if they are family or friends who are interested.
Several of our "drop-outs" joined the Army and went to Vietnam. A couple came back to finish school and some got GED's. Those who's family moved are also included. We were an AF Base town in the 60's and some were transferred out, but had been with us for elementary and Junior High.
Lara

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.