ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Back-up our Website

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/09/22 05:28 PM Views: 578 Replies: 8
Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 5:28 PM

Dose anyone have any information on Backing up our CC websites? I've seen several tools to do this, but just wondering if anyone has done this.

Here's an article from PC Mag which describes some of the tools.
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-backup-your-website

Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 6:54 PM - Response #1
CCSave.png

Hi Paul,
CC does system-wide backups so you don't need to worry about doing that. The backup examples you provided are for host sites that hold applications like WordPress.
CC does file versioning that can be very helpful. When you are editing a CC Page you will see the prior versions listed at the bottom of the page. Any of those saved versions can be restored. See the example above (CCSave).

Edited 07/09/22 6:55 PM
Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 7:25 PM - Response #2

Thanks Phil, but the reason I wanted a local version of our website would be to port it to another vendor in case something should happen to Class creator. Any thoughts on that?

Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 9:39 PM - Response #3

A few years ago, I asked CC directly if they'd be around for the long haul, and received a strong "Yes!" We've all put so much time into our sites that your question is valid, but hopefully, we won't have to face that day, or if we do, CC would provide a solution to archive our sites.

Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 10:20 PM - Response #4

Thanks for your input Scott and I hope you are right.

Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 10:20 PM - Response #5

Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 10:20 PM - Response #6

Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 10:58 PM - Response #7

Paul, as Scott Moore has indicated, the probability of CC going dark is likely quit low. However, if you want to be prepared for a quick recovery should CC shut down then here are a couple of things you could do;
1. Store the majority of you files outside of the CC file vault - example: AWS, SmugMug, etc.
2. Create a "Backup Site" that could be switched to quickly. (see example link below).
Of course, both of these things involve more work and duplication.
Your text to link here...

Sunday, July 10, 2022 at 12:34 AM - Response #8

Paul Mercier wrote:

Thanks Phil, but the reason I wanted a local version of our website would be to port it to another vendor in case something should happen to Class creator. Any thoughts on that?

Depends on what you mean by "port to another vendor". CC sites are custom coded and you can't actually port it to another vendor as such because your site is built on canned software made for a specific purpose. All we do is fill it with text and images, but not actual code.

Simple pages with images and text are easy - so long as you have the images NOT stored on CC (as Phil noted).

Stuff like your class list very difficult. CC uses a custom database.

Galleries are another. You could replace with different software but you can't just port the galleries as such.

And of course you'd have to code your own menus or adapt to a different vendor's system. Not too hard, but also not automatic.

Getting a simple site that just shows the pages, sorta easy. There are lots of 'canned' drag and drop sites pre-configured one could use. But to get an actual equivalent is ...

Edited 07/10/22 12:36 AM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.