ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

How to whitelist an email address

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/21/13 09:08 PM Views: 2811 Replies: 5
Saturday, December 21, 2013 at 9:08 PM

On the Admin Functions > Preferences > Automatic Emails > Welcome Message section there are instructions that read, "IMPORTANT: In order to ensure you receive important messages from our class web site, as well as messages sent directly to you from other Classmates, it's important you whitelist the email address noreply@classcreator.net (that's a .net, not a .com)."

Since "whitelist" is not a common term, I'm afraid many of our new members ignore this paragraph.

May I suggest adding another sentence with a link to a third party website that explains what "whitelisting" means along with the instructions on how to do it. Here is one link that might work: http://sci.scientific-direct.net/wl.html.

Perhaps admins can suggest other useful links.

Saturday, December 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM - Response #1

This is what is in FAQs #5 i. The email section
Question Some of my Classmates are not getting emails
from me or fellow Classmates. Why is this
happening, and what can I do about it? Top
Answer: In today's world so many spam emails are sent daily that many people and/or email service providers have resorted to very high level spam filtering. This unfortunately means that sometimes messages sent from your web site to your Classmates, and even messages from one Classmate to another, can be marked as spam and therefore never read.
There are four measures you can take to combat this problem.
Have your Classmates check their spam or junk email folders to see if emails are going there.
You, the Site Administrator, should personally whitelist the email address noreply@classcreator.net.
Blast email your Class List and ask your Classmates to also whitelist noreply@classcreator.net.
Ask your Classmates if they subscribe to any third party email filtering services, such as spamarrest.com. If so, they need to add noreply@classcreator.net as a safe sender.
FYI: "Whitelist" is the general term for allowing an email to come through from a specific email address every time, regardless of the content contained within the email. Whitelist is also sometimes referred to as a "Safe List" or an "Approved Senders List." If you and your Classmates whitelist noreply@classcreator.net, messages that may not ordinarily get through will now be received and read every time.
Please note the Class Creator system does not send spam mail of any kind to your Classmates. And when we email you directly, the Site Administrators, we will only send you messages we think are important to the business of running your class web site. Thus you and your Classmates can whitelist noreply@classcreator.net with confidence that spam email will never be sent by us. Taking these measures will help ensure that all Classmates participating in your site can freely communicate without losing legitimate messages to spam filtering technology.

Saturday, December 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM - Response #2

Kyle, thanks for sharing the FAQ question and answer regarding whitelisting.

In reviewing it, it's clear there is too much info to concisely summarize in an additional sentence on the Welcome Message. I think a separate email covering the suggestions in the FAQ answer is likely the best way to proceed.

Edited 12/21/13 9:34 PM
Saturday, December 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM - Response #3

OK. There is also a lot more information in the FAQs section.
http://www.classcreator.com/faqs.cfm

Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 7:26 PM - Response #4

This morning I received 5 "bounce backs" in my ClassCreator message box. This has never happened in the 3 months we have been live. (I have received single bounce backs from email addresses that winked out.) I had not sent an email to any of the five people. I note that they are the only 5 people with "att.net" email address out of our 146 person list. When I hit view I cannot see the text of the messages. Do you agree with me that (1) the bounce backs are the daily "noreply" updates from ClassCreator, and (2) that "att.net" must have some filter that has decided that the messages are spam? Do I email each of the five individuals and ask them to add your noreply@classcreator.net address to their whitelist/safe sender list?

Edited 04/03/14 7:27 PM
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM - Response #5

Randy - these were all att.net related bounces. I have cleared them and have reported the issue back to the team.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.