ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Zoom feature for Gallery photos

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/03/13 08:50 AM Views: 1767 Replies: 18
Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Are there any plans to have a zoom feature for Gallery photos? When there is a class photo, the individual classmates can be quite small. It would be very helpful if we could click on the photo and have the size increase.

Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM - Response #1

I will pass along the request for future consideration.

Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM - Response #2

Scott- My Galleries DO ALLOW me to click on the photo & it does enlarge or zooms. Maybe on a class phoro it doesn't zoom to the level he's looking for.
David: are you saying it doesn't zoom at all??

PS- Scott still waiting for word on my photo gallery playlists that don't auto-play when "listen to music" is chosen.
Any closer to having this looked at? Rolling Eyes

Thanks, John

Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM - Response #3

John - I went over the issues yesterday with the programmer and I am waiting to see when he can fit it in. Not forgotten. Smile

Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM - Response #4

A zoom feature seems to be a needed feature. Would such a feature be limited in clarity due to the small footprint of these photos making the enlarged view almost indistinguishable?

Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM - Response #5

Many thanks, Scott.

Did I miss something in David's request for a zoom feature? Is he looking for infinate zoom levels. I do note my zoom only ups one level but that seems to be sufficient. A telescopic zoom would be nice but understandable if it becomes an issue for the back burner.

Thanks for keeping me on the radar.Very Happy

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM - Response #6

The zoom feature that is described by David is not exactly the same as how our system operates. Our Lightbox gallery does automatically resize images to fit on the screen if the image is larger than the screen, but is not really intended as a "zoom". I have seen some admins do a custom work around and add images to the file vault that are larger, that they then add code to the page to accomplish the zoom, but I do not know how to do that. I believe Jack V plays around with that. BTW - still awaiting response from the queue on the player issue.

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM - Response #7

I assumed as much. I mistakenly referred to the CC feature as a zoom when I know it's simply a resizing (to a larger size). Yes, David is looking for a true telescoping zoom. NSA has this feature but I don't think the gov't is willing to share. Laughing

Appreciate your follow-ups for my player, Scott. Cool

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 3:57 PM - Response #8

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

I believe Jack V plays around with that.

I play around and made a test page to show some variations. All of them are done in CC editor source mode.

First example used the existing CC gallery code modified a tiny bit and is gallery of 2 but can be any number without showing the images within. Only issue is this has to be done in html mode otherwise the CC editor adds 'p' data that messes up spacing.Twisted Evil

Second example does not work on IE8 or below, but is pretty cool. All you have to do is hover over the image and it magnifies (easy to set value). Pure CSS

Third example is a regular res image that automatically blows up to the maximum size of a page when clicked.

Fourth example is a forced magnify/zoom past the page size (6X). It can be anything but this shows that even a standard small ( 500 x 378 ) CC image can show fairly good magnified detail. (The school images earlier are very large 1920 x 1323)).

I can make a version where a user can pick the magnification/zoom. If somebody wanted to see, can make it.

Anyone on CC is free to use the javascript as noted in the source.

Demo LINK

Edited 10/04/13 4:00 PM
Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM - Response #9
Miller Highlights 12-18-59 P1.jpg

My request for an image zoom is in viewing a group photo and trying to see a larger image of an individual. I did figure out that if I crop an image, so I can get the maximum size out of the CC enlarger. However, we have some old school news class publications, that are on 8-1/2 x 11" papers and the CC resizing isn't enough to read from easily, especially for 67 year-old classmates, with limited computer experience.
Anyone know what the ideal image size and dimensions are for the maximum gallery photo enlargement?
Any suggestions for displaying the attachment?

Edited 10/05/13 12:57 PM
Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM - Response #10

Exactly 1,000 pixels wide. Height should be proportional to width. 1,000 width is all that really matters. Any photo uploaded larger than 1,000 pixels will be automatically and resized by the system down to 1,000.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM - Response #11

Specifically for old school news (or yearbooks), use Issuu.com and embed code on your site. It does exactly what you want. We use it.

Ideal size for photo gallery depends on your source quality/resolution. Maximum width is 1000 and height something like 768 (more or less - depends on user screen resolution/size). So crop and set images to that size and see how it looks. We did that initially, but it's a PIA since each section of a photo has to be done that way. Zooming to a larger size and using browser sliders is a lot easier for a user - or issuu method that zooms as you described.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM - Response #12

I typed above while Brad posted. This is how gallery works. It's not always displayed at 1000 wide if the height is not enough to contain the image. So it's a combination of window width and height that determines the final image ratio.

Demo I made demonstrates this even though I use images from the vault and not resized by CC. Works the same though in scaling.

My screen resolution is 1920 x 1080 so your results may vary as described.

Image1: 1,920px × 1,393px (scaled to 833px × 604px)
Image2: 1,920px × 1,205px (scaled to 962px × 604px)

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM - Response #13
Miller Highlights 12-18-59 P1.jpg

David Grandstaff wrote:

Any suggestions for displaying the attachment?

If you just link to that image as you did here on the forum, it will display full size (scaled at first) in a browser window. Then if the user clicks on it, it will display full size and then use the browser scroll bars to navigate. So the bigger the image the large it will appear.

We also used that at first. Only reason I don't like it is that the new window that opens leaves your site (sort of a design issue). Hence the reason I did it with code.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM - Response #14

Awesome stuff here. Thanks Jack!

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 4:04 PM - Response #15

David,
Would the 'magnifier' feature within Windows suffice?

Just a thought.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 9:27 PM - Response #16

If you have MS office you may have the best re-sizer you can find. When using the photo view/editor program in the bundle and choosing the re-size option, you can tick the custom button and will find that 1024X768 is considered to best size. You click the ok button and the picture is re-sized and you can save it at this custom size. The picture may have slightly different dimensions because of the original picture but it will be close

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM - Response #17

The best size is a bit historical. Originally displays used a 4/3 ratio (aka 1024 / 768 ). Then when HD came on the scene displays started to use the ratio 16/ 9 (HD 1920 / 1080) sometimes more. Same thing for camera ratios.

When resizing, the ratio is preserved, otherwise you get distorted photos. That's why the gallery resizes on display to a smaller size even if the stored photo is 1000 wide. My examples show this behavior in the extreme.

Although there are many image editing programs that can perform resizing, where there's a big difference is how well they compress JPG. There are astounding differences in image file sizes for exactly the same image. CC's gallery uploader is very conservative in compression (because it wants to take no chances on degrading image quality) so the sizes can increase quite a bit, even if down sized ahead of time.

For an easy way to see how this works, just go to a gallery and decrease your window size (restore and drag window edges). Notice how the image automatically is resized to fit the smaller window. The max is 1000 wide or 768 tall (I think), whichever occurs first. The code does that so the complete image always shows, even on small screens.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM - Response #18

STEVE STEIN wrote:

David,
Would the 'magnifier' feature within Windows suffice?

If ALL devices had that, maybe. It is a bit clunky to use though and not nearly as neat & easy as built-in zoom code. Check out issuu.com and see how nice theirs works.

I was thinking about doing something similar, however, I was worried it might not be easy to use for our gen. Maybe just one more click magnifies one more size. As the weather gets colder I have more time to sit on my $$ and code.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.