ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Removing bounceback status of a classmate

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/16/13 03:48 PM Views: 1498 Replies: 24
Saturday, February 16, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Hello,

We did a class email today, and about 25 people were disabled because their email had bounced back at some point in the past. Is there a way to re-enable them? I know for certain that one person on the list has a valid email because I have emailed her in Outlook, and she logged onto the site last night.

Thank you,
Greg

Saturday, February 16, 2013 at 6:04 PM - Response #1

The bounceback will cause a message to be displayed when that classmate signs in the next time. They then need to click the link in the message to get an e-mail sent to their e-mail address. The e-mail will contain a link back to the website that they must click on in order to remove the bounce back.

Until they do that, there is no way to be sure that the bounceback is truly fixed and can be removed from the system.

ClassCreator is trying hard to not have our e-mail systems tagged as a "Spamming" e-mail system. If we repeatedly send e-mails to email addresses that have already told us that they bounced, there is a very good possibility that our e-mail systems would get marked as spam and then EVERYONE would stop getting e-mails from the system.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM - Response #2

Thanks Kyle, that makes a lot of sense.

Greg

Saturday, February 16, 2013 at 7:24 PM - Response #3

Kyle, Can a screen shot be provide so that the Admins can inform our members what the message says and looks like. I have the same issue with several email address that I know are good.

JohnB

A video tutorial would be great, if not to much trouble.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 at 11:46 PM - Response #4

Actually, I too have received notifications for email bounce backs that, after verifying with classmates for current validity, were confirmed as still being used, by the classmate, as their address of choice.

Edited 02/16/13 11:52 PM
Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM - Response #5

Agree. I'd like to see what it looks like. Is the message the same for anyone who may have accidentally (or intentionally) unsubscribed? I'd like to let them know how to fix that if it was accidental.

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM - Response #6

The bounceback message is generated by the receving email server of th eaddress to which the email was sent, and they all tend to be slightly different in content, though many are similar in format. Some are radically different in format.

If you receive a bounce notification, the typical response should be:
1. Look through it for any information which _specifically_ indicates why this message was bounced (as opposed to general notifications about rules and protocols that server expects you to follow when emailing).
2. Determine (if you are able) whether the message bounced because the receiving server is indicating that the recipient email address is not valid.
3. If that IS the case, then the email address will have to be replaced.
4. If that is NOT the case, then determine whether there is a problem the RECIPIENT needs to address (such as mailbox full or over quota) and inform the recipient by whatever means you have available. They will then have to act to remove the block after they have fixed the problem.
5. If the problem is that the receiving server was having a temporary problem, or has blocked the message because it thinks you are spamming, then we may have to look at the bounce to determine whether we can simply remove it or whether direct communication with the recipient email service provider is required.

It is important to note that sending messages in bulk (such as by using Email the Class) causes those messages to be scrutinized much more closely by the receiving server, and greatly increases the odds that they will not be delivered. Sending a message from your personal email to the address in question to verify that it is valid is a good first step in identifying a spam filter problem. Once that is done, then we can request that the server stop blocking us (these requests are not always honored, and even if they are, there is no guarantee the effect will be permanent) or simply remove the block ourselves if the issue is transient.

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM - Response #7

Eric,

I am familiar with the bounceback messages we receive as administrators and how to generally interpret them. What I'm interested in seeing or knowing more about is exactly what the PERSON who bounced sees when they come and log into the website.

Also interested in knowing the same for those who have unsubscribed. Do they see any type of message when they log in? Thanks.

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM - Response #8
2013-02-18_blocked_info.png

Users who have unsubscribed see nothing to tell them they did so, since they had to choose to do so.

The attached image shows what users who are blocked will see at the top of every page. (I have blocked out the email address with a black bar.)

The first link takes them to their own Edit Contact Info page. The second link shows them the bounce message and presents a link they can click to have the system try to send them another email. If they receive that email, they can click the link in it to remove the block.

If they do NOT receive the email, then that means the problem that caused the bounce has not been resolved.

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM - Response #9

OK. Thanks. One more question....if I am writing to people to see if they unsubscribed in error, what do they need to do to remove that?

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM - Response #10

They need to visit their Notify Me page to adjust their email notification preferences.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM - Response #11

Eric B Bassey wrote:

They need to visit their Notify Me page to adjust their email notification preferences.

OK. Presumably everything would be NEVER now. If so, by just changing one of those items to some notification would that remove the Notify Off?

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM - Response #12

When registered member of the website click the Unsubscribe link, they are taken to their Notify Me page. They can adjust the settings themselves. UNregistered email recipients have no Notify Me page, so for them, clicking th elink disables all email from the site to their address.

For registered members, the Notify Flag Off indication only reflects the setting labeled "An administrator sends an email to all Classmates (strongly recommended)" being set to NEVER.

Monday, March 4, 2013 at 6:27 PM - Response #13

Hopefully my final question on this Wink.....if a non-registered member has unsubscribed - how can it be removed? If we write to them outside the site and explain the situation, will they still be able to go to the site and register? If so, in doing so would their Notify Me section already show the "never" and they'd need to change it or would it show as any other new person's default Notify Me page?

Thanks, as usual.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM - Response #14

When an unregistered member unsubscribes, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. To allow you to change this would define you -- and thereby US -- as a spammer and potentially expose us to legal sanction.

If an unsubscribed member later joins the site, their default Notify Me setting removes the unsubscribe flag, but during the registration process they are taken to the Notify Me page where they can set their preferences.

So, by default, when someone joins, they are subscribed whether they previously were or not, but they are explicitly given the option of remaining unsubscribed.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM - Response #15

Thanks, Eric. That's just what I needed to know. I will email this person outside CC and ask her again to join and I will explain about unsubscribing.

Monday, November 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM - Response #16

I have the same problem with bounce backs, as the messages were sent to correct addresses. I not cannot re-send messages to those folks. I doubt they will take the action to correct the address that was indicated above. Very frustrating!

Monday, November 25, 2013 at 2:42 PM - Response #17

Hi Ellen,

If there is a specific bounce back that you are certain is valid please email me at info@classcreator.com and we can check into the bounce and find out more details for you.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Friday, December 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM - Response #18

Kyle Erickson wrote:

The bounceback will cause a message to be displayed when that classmate signs in the next time. They then need to click the link in the message to get an e-mail sent to their e-mail address. The e-mail will contain a link back to the website that they must click on in order to remove the bounce back.

Until they do that, there is no way to be sure that the bounceback is truly fixed and can be removed from the system.

ClassCreator is trying hard to not have our e-mail systems tagged as a "Spamming" e-mail system. If we repeatedly send e-mails to email addresses that have already told us that they bounced, there is a very good possibility that our e-mail systems would get marked as spam and then EVERYONE would stop getting e-mails from the system.

I'm assuming this still works. I'm testing it out with a fellow site admin that got a bounceback because the domain was having temp tech issues.

Friday, December 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM - Response #19

yes, it should still be working as described

Friday, December 27, 2013 at 6:00 PM - Response #20

Kyle,

Didn't work. Here's the email from Sylvia Salassi (Talarico):

"Before I emailed you Christmas evening I clicked the link in the bounceback message to send a verification email to myself. It never arrived. I tried it again after I opened your new emails this morning and the result was the same - it's been about an hour since I tried and no message has arrived from our website. And I don't think it's gonna happen. I selected "email the class" from the menu and found that my name has been permanently deselected from the list of class members who can receive mail.

At the top of the page I clicked on "View Bouncebacks" and saw the list of the 4 blackballed classmates: Me, Judy, Christie, and Fred. What happens if I delete my bounceback per the option given there? Will I be reinstated as qualified email recipient?"

I speculated that nothing would happen and sure enough:

"Mike, you're right. The bounceback cannot be deleted. My bounceback message indicates that "the name server reports that it is having technical problems.

Brian's [Sylvia's IT son] poking around also identified the mail server (IP 69.41.160.9) used by Classcreator.net to send the message that bounced as the source of the problem. And now it appears there's a glitch that's preventing the bounceback from being deleted. I think it's time to contact the CC gurus."

By the way, Sylvia has whitelisted noreply@classcreator.net and the other three on the blacklist are legitimate.

So Kyle, can you (1) check your server at the above IP address and (2) see if you can get Sylvia off the bounceback blacklist?

Thanks,
Mike

Monday, December 30, 2013 at 2:13 PM - Response #21

I've been having this same problem for a couple of weeks now. I "admin" my husbands class website. There were problems on his email server Nov 1st. I changed his primary email address to an alternate address. They fixed his primary email server within about a week and I changed his email back to the original. He immediately started receiving some (maybe all) email from the site but when we click on the link to send the bounceback message so that he can respond to the link, he never receives the email.

He is the root manager and we don't know what email he may be missing. The secondary email we were using is no longer an option.

Is their some manual way that I can generate that bounceback message so that we can fix this? Every time he goes to log in he sees the message that he needs to send the bounceback email, but it never goes through.

As I send this I am logged in as him. Maybe that will help someone figure out what we're doing wrong.
Thanks for the help,
Tom and Nancy Williams

Monday, December 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM - Response #22

Mike - I manually cleared the bounce for the most recent bounces. If there is a new bounce for their email address, they will receive the message that they need to verify their email address when they log in. Nancy - I have cleared yours now as well.

Monday, December 30, 2013 at 4:02 PM - Response #23

Thank you, Scott!

Monday, December 30, 2013 at 4:41 PM - Response #24

Looks good.
Thank you Scott!
Nancy and Tom

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.