ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

A new Email to the Class didn't go out

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/17/17 08:49 AM Views: 980 Replies: 18
Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 8:49 AM

I just created an Email The Class to send out, but the system hasn't sent it out yet. I can see it listed in Previous Messages (see attached screenshot), indicating it went out today at 6:10 am, but I haven't received it yet. Is there something going on with the system that would cause this to happen?

Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 8:50 AM - Response #1
Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 8.48.35 AM.png

Oops, didn't attach.

Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 9:21 AM - Response #2

Two hours ago, I sent myself a test to email the Class. I haven't received my test email. There's no point emailing the class until I receive the test. If there's a problem with the server, please let us know. Thank you

Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 9:59 AM - Response #3

Well if it is happening to someone other than me, then maybe there is a problem with the system this morning.

Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 10:12 AM - Response #4

Test message was just received and have emailed the class.

Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 10:36 AM - Response #5

Interesting - I still haven't received the message I sent out, but when I look at the Email The Class page, it's showing as having been read by 3 people. That is really odd!

Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 10:48 AM - Response #6

Besty,
If you read your message more than once, reading the message multiple times is counted as "read". I did email the class today, have received the email and can confirm 6 classmates read the message. Elena

Edited 12/17/17 10:49 AM
Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 1:44 PM - Response #7

Elena - I still haven't received it, and now it says read by 6 people. I haven't looked at it 6 times so something is amiss.

Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 1:51 PM - Response #8

The numbers we see can be misleading. The "Sent To" count is how many emails were delivered to the email server - but not necessarily how many - if any - were actually sent before the mail server had to be restarted.

As Elena says, the "Read By" count is increased every time someone views the email. For many who don't immediately delete the email after reading it, that count goes up each time they view it again. If, for example, you send an email to 100 people, and 50 of them view it twice, that Read By count will be 150 - assuming that the rest all viewed it once.

Both the Sent To and the Read By counts are appreciated since they do offer some insight into what they system has done. But neither is a guarantee that everything went as expected.

Monday, December 18, 2017 at 7:47 AM - Response #9

Emails aren't sent immediately, they are entered into an email queue. All the email from all the websites are entered into the queue. The emails will leave the queue in the same order that they were placed into the queue (first in, first out). The emails aren't sent all at once and our email system sends a small chunk of emails, then waits a few minutes, then sends the next chunk of emails. We need to do this to not be considered a SPAM email sender.

Because of the delay that is required, some emails do not go out for several hours and this is normal and expected.

Some websites have more than 6000 members and if they send out a class email, and the number of classmates that can receive the email are chunked down to smaller units and there needs to be minutes between each try, it could take more than two hours before the next website in the queue will get their turn. For example, 6000 emails, divided into 100 equal emaul chunks would be 60 chunks. If the wait period between tries is two minutes, then you have two hours right there.

Monday, December 18, 2017 at 7:03 PM - Response #10

Mmmm, that sounds so weird I don't know what to say Kyle. If FB did that it could be DAYS before members (in a group) receive emails on comments and for sure that is not how they do it.

This need to be done PER website and not queuing one website behind another because just before them some other site sent out emails. If you had many more sites, it could be days before an email went out. Do not know of any site that works this way. Time to reconsider your platform or else it really does not work as described Idea

Kyle Erickson wrote:

... Some websites have more than 6000 members and if they send out a class email, and the number of classmates that can receive the email are chunked down to smaller units and there needs to be minutes between each try, it could take more than two hours before the next website in the queue will get their turn...

Monday, December 18, 2017 at 10:02 PM - Response #11

Dec 6, a classmate posted a sweet story & photos of her dad, age 93, who just received his high school diploma. We never received any email notification. How do I explain to our classmate why her comment wasn't received by our registered classmates?

Edited 12/18/17 10:07 PM
Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 1:02 PM - Response #12

Is anyone following that member? Not sure how to answer that particular question. I have not had any recent reports of issues of NM not sending. I have received all of my notifications recently.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 1:34 PM - Response #13

Yes, Scott: I follow every member. Never received notification. When a clsssmate logs on, I check their Profile. If appropriate, I will comment and I did. How to know re: notification if you don't know classmate's name?

Edited 12/19/17 1:37 PM
Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 1:43 PM - Response #14

"How to know re: notification if you don't know classmate's name?" Not sure I understand the question.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 2:43 PM - Response #15

"I have received all of my notifications recently"

Scott, in the nicest way possible, how do you know the name of the classmate in question?
Let's table this - no dueling during Christmas.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 3:05 PM - Response #16

Okay, when i say "I have received all of my notifications recently"... what I mean is that the system is definitely generating NM emails. It would not arbitrarily send for one for one person and not another. The only thing I could possibly do is verify the name of the member in question and then login in and be sure that I am also following that person. Then we could request that he does something else on the site that would generate a notification and monitor to see if we get the NM.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 3:30 PM - Response #17

Scott - the classmate in question is away for the holidays. Rarely does this clsssmste log on, let alone comment. Thanks for offering to troubleshoot Let's revisit in the new year. Have a Merry Christmas.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 3:57 PM - Response #18

Merry Christmas! Thanks.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.