ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/23/14 03:34 PM Views: 1247 Replies: 16
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I have been getting messages from classmates that they can no longer log in to our site since Class Creator was down for maintenance last weekend.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at 5:01 PM - Response #1

Although we haven't had any complaints yet, our login count is significantly down. I suspect members are seeing the same thing I am - random and irregular times when you see the home page, but a login attempt gets you a 503. Or you simply get a 503 and no home page. Waiting a minute and trying again usually works - for a while, until you do something and get a 503 again.

That said, it does seem better today....

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at 7:19 PM - Response #2

The system has been slowing down about 10 times per day, usually for only a minute or two. During that sluggish period is when the 503 Service Unavailable message might display. Most of the time the system recovers on its own within about a minute or two. If now, and if we have to do a reset, that would be when a 404 message displays. Fortunately, we believe we have identified the issue as well as a resolution and hope that by the end of the week things will be much smoother.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 10:14 AM - Response #3

We're having this problem today. One alumni can't log in to our Alumni Society page although it shows that others are logged in. I can't log in to either of my CC websites. I rarely log out on my desktop computer so am able to stay logged in there.

It's frozen & I get no error message. Last week it looked frozen when I tried to log in, but I was actually logged in.

I'd suspect the spider gif but it sounds like this is a system problem?

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 11:40 AM - Response #4

Hi John,

I'm not seeing any issues on our end today. Have you tried rebooting? It may sound generic but it often clears out any failed attempts or hanging browser connections in your task manager. Clearing your cache and cookies may also help if you are not seeing any site specific error messages. I am able to login to your site without issue.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 1:54 PM - Response #5

Hi Jessica,
This is Sharon, not John.

I have 2 CC websites. Here's what happens:

On my claremont61.com site, I enter my email & password, click LOG IN & nothing happens. But if I go to the password protected pages (class profiles/class roster) I have full access, & then the bottom sections of the left column appear as they should when I'm logged in. So basically the log in works but it doesn't LOOK like it's working. This happened 4 times this morning. Weird!

On the claremonthighalumnisociety.com site, I can stay logged in on my desktop but cannot log in at all on my tablet, which usually works fine. Yes my wifi connection is good. I'm afraid to log out on the desktop computer for fear that I won't be able to get back in.

I can't log into either site at all on my tablet now.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 5:07 PM - Response #6

I deactivated my falling spiders gif & it seems to have cleared up the log in issue. If anyone has a clue how to keep the spiders & not mess up site access, I'd love to know it! Here's the source code for the falling spiders:

Edited 10/08/14 6:07 PM
Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 6:34 PM - Response #7

Needs to be scripted so GIF doesn't cover login. Doing some site catchup but will try to give an example.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM - Response #8

AHA! That makes perfect sense. Except that I don't know how to write script so will appreciate your direction! Thanks Jack!

Here's the source code so if you can tell me how to edit it, I can learn! Wink

Oh nuts - posting the code here just makes the spiders crawl down the page. I can email it to you...message me privately with your email.
Sharon

Edited 10/08/14 6:42 PM
Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 8:25 PM - Response #9

Don't worry, I got the code already - but I just needed the spidy thing Cool

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 8:37 PM - Response #10

OK good! If you can tell me how to reduce the width to keep the spideys off the log-in box, that would be cool!

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 9:14 PM - Response #11

Each of the spiders are made of a MARQUEE tag with the following attributes (similar to below)
direction="down" scrollamount="26" style="z-index: 1; left: 248px; width: 125px; position: absolute; top: 190px; height: 3874px"

If you VIEW SOURCE and search for "left: 523px", and change that value to be less, maybe 423px, it might not cover the login box. If it still covers the login box, change the amount again.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 10:03 PM - Response #12

PERFECT! I went to 323 to keep them well away from the right side. so far so good. Thanks Kyle!

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 11:34 PM - Response #13

Check our home page where I put the spiders in a script that I also use for snow, etc. If you like it I can show how to do that. Spider size is variable.

(Note: depending on your connection and CC's response - it's been slow at times - there might be a delay till spiders start down.)

Edited 10/08/14 11:41 PM
Thursday, October 9, 2014 at 12:20 AM - Response #14

Yup, spiders are taking their time. I got mine to work by reducing the margins per Kyle's advice. Oh, there they are! Cute itsy bitsy spiders! I love 'em! Nice website too. We're of the same era - Class of 61.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 at 12:35 AM - Response #15

Thanks. The load delay is because all the images of the cougar slide show have to load before it loads the spiders. Normally on most sites there wouldn't be that much delay.

I made the spider's size range a tad larger so the size difference between spiders is a tad more. Maybe I'll throw a BIG one in there once in a while Laughing They never load exactly the same. Marquee stuff is always fixed in both size and position and you have to be careful where they land since they can also disable any links they go over.

P.S. Thanks for giving me the idea.

Edited 10/09/14 12:38 AM
Thursday, October 9, 2014 at 1:02 AM - Response #16

It's all fun & I learn something new all the time!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.