ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Screen size of website

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/11/10 12:23 PM Views: 1706 Replies: 8
Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM

My site is up and operating nicely, but it only takes up about 2/3 of my computer screen, blank gray fills out the rest to the right of the page. Most websites I visit fill the screen. Is there a setting I've overlooked? Thanks.
Greg

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 2:17 PM - Response #1

52% of Classmates still use a screen resolution of 1024 x 768. For that 52% the site already fills the whole screen. Unfortunately the web is not like tv, where one size fits all no matter what size the tv screen is. Here we have to factor in the lowest common denominator. 1% of people still use 800 x 600 resolution, so for those people they actually have to scroll to the right to see your entire web site. That's such a low # that we and most other designs don't accommodate it anymore though.

Very few sites are wider than Class Creator designs due to what people are still using, you're likely seeing some sites that are centered on the screen so it looks a little more full due to the blank space being evenly distributed on the right and left. We'll be making some wider designs including the option to center them on the screen later this year.

Edited 04/11/10 2:19 PM
Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 2:39 PM - Response #2

Greg,
Perhaps you might like to personalize the color, add a graphic, pictures of icons,etc that will fill all the gray area up...or change the color to whatever you wish!
If you haven't found it already, go to the Change Color page of your admin options, and let your imagination go! And don't forget to click SAVE!
It's wonderful and will give you and everything a new perspective! The options are literally limitless! Brad's instructions explain it much better, but once you get started, it's kinda "addicting"! The new "colors" options for all the text is most wonderful also! i just found that one! Perhaps it's been there all along and i remain slow on the uptake, but it's Fun!
Have Fun! And have a great reunion!

kris

Edited 04/11/10 2:42 PM
Monday, May 17, 2010 at 4:56 PM - Response #3

"Here we have to factor in the lowest common denominator. 1% of people still use 800 x 600 resolution, so for those people they actually have to scroll to the right to see your entire web site."

One of our classmates is vision impaired. He uses a computer, but has to magnify even the 800x600 screen resolution.

When he views our site, he does not see anything on the screen past about halfway through the names of people who are logged on.

He is used to scrolling to the right to see parts of Internet sites, but when viewing our site there is no scroll bar at the bottom of the screen.

Would you have a suggestion as to how we can get the scroll bar to appear?

Thanks,

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 7:26 PM - Response #4

Try using CTRL+ (CTRL and Plus Key) to expand the page size. You might need to do that more than once.

When the screen finally overfills the screen, you should see a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom. (Using Windows Vista).

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 8:22 PM - Response #5

Interesting... I'm wondering if there is a scroll bar in a different browser for him? I would think it would appear in all browsers if there is content to the right, but if it's not see if a different browser handles it better.

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 9:08 PM - Response #6

The browser is IE-8. I've tried the CTRL+ and CTRL- with my screen set to 800x600 and the horizontal scroll bar does not appear on my screen no matter how much I zoom in.

Other web sites do display the horizontal scroll bar when they are designed wider than 800x600.

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 9:32 PM - Response #7

I am using Chrome. However I discovered that in THESE Forums, that worked; but on my CC pages, it did not work. On Facebook, it worked, etc. Must be in the CC code?

Edited 05/17/10 9:36 PM
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 1:20 AM - Response #8

Tough one here.... Nearly no sites are designed to work at 800 x 600 anymore. I'm really not sure why a right scroll bar isn't appearing for the vision impaired Classmate. My best gueses/suggestions are:

1) Try a different browser. It may well scroll right at that resolution.
2) Convert up to 1024 x 768, a standard setting today. But set the default font size very high. And or magnify the screen. There's no reason this increased resolution can't be viewed extremely large using the same font size increases or magnification settings.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.