ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Google

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/22/08 11:34 PM Views: 1664 Replies: 11
Friday, August 22, 2008 at 11:34 PM

A classmate had her privacy invaded when a high school girl in Sitka AK googled "Piano Teachers Sitka AK" and google took her right to DyerHigh1958class.com and the classmate's profile was on the screen!!! I did the same thing with my name and google went to my name, I clicked on it and my profile came up. Where is the security here??? This is really scarry as our classmates profiles are not for just anyone to read. How is this happening. I am logged off, so it can't be that! I need help here to explain this to the classmates that think this site is secure.
Thanks
Patsy

Friday, August 22, 2008 at 11:52 PM - Response #1

Two answers for you here:

1) There's no security on your piano teacher's profile because she didn't turn the security feature on... Each Classmate's Profile has the option to be restricted to only fellow logged in Classmates. I went ahead and turned on this security for your piano teacher. For any other readers here who may be having this same issue, the steps your Classmates need to take to turn on their security are below:

a) Log into the site and Click on Edit Profile
b) Turn on the security option near the bototm of your Profile to only allow viewing by fellow logged in Classmates.

One thing you have to realize is that numerous people out there do NOT want their Profiles restricted. They like them public -- they like sharing them with family, friends, colleagues, etc. This is why we made the security feature optional. For those who want it, it's there. You do in fact have to turn it on though...

2) Now you are thinking "Ok, that's fine, but I personally DID activate my Profile security feature and the exact same thing is happening to me and I'm logged off."

Actually, what you are thinking is probably not happening. After Googling your own name, you can see your Profile because you are logged in. I'm 99% sure you are not logged off. You actually have to click the "log out" link along the left to be logged off. Logged in Classmates can see other Classmates' Profiles...and thus you can see your own. Just because you can Google your own name and see your Profile doesn't mean that anyone in the public can do the same. If this is not clear, there is a detailed explanation of this issue in our FAQs:

1) Click on our FAQs link above
2) Click on Questions About Privacy
3) Read Question #5

To prove to yourself the security features are working: Click the "log out" link to ensure you are no longer logged in, go back to Google and search for your own name, and then click on it. You'll see you cannot read your own Profile anymore. In the extremely unlikely event that you can still see your Profile, then your cookies aren't clearing when you log out (cookie issues are rare but they do happen). Try clearing your cookies and reboot your computer, and then repeat the test. Or simply call a friend (who is not a Classmate) and have them Google your name and try to get into your Profile -- your friend will be unable to do so.

Edited 08/23/08 12:40 AM
Saturday, August 23, 2008 at 1:16 AM - Response #2

I understand what you are saying. When I went back to google and tried my name it would not let me in. Another PROBLEM!!!!! I scrolled further down on the google page and found another classmate problem. My name and other's were there and I clicked on the site and GUESS WHAT!!!! It brought up the entire profile page of all classmates that had profiles. This site was not the DyerHigh1958class, but----www.classcreater.com/dyer-in-dyer-cental-1958/class_classmates.cfm-40K Now, how do we get that fixed?????

Saturday, August 23, 2008 at 1:32 AM - Response #3

You're giving me a run for my money tonight aren't ya? Smile

Your longer Class Creator address will always work to access your web site even if you purchase a domain name. So when you first built your site, most likely you did not have a domain name for a period of time. And then you purchased one. So Google has a link to your Classmate Profiles page indexed at a time prior to you buying your domain name. We have nothing to do with Google, but this longer link will likely drop from Google's index pretty quickly. Bear in mind that any public web page is subject to being indexed by search engines. Search engines do crawl the web and pull in pages...

In any case, regardless of domain name or not, your Classmate Profiles page is indexable because you have not password protected it. As there are only names on this page anyway, and no data of any kind, I do not recommend password protecting this page (it will make it harder for new Classmates to join your site if you do). But if you really don't want it to ever get picked up by search engines, you do in fact have the option to password protect it and shut search engines out for good (if you do this you'll need to give out your "system password" to new Classmates so they can get into the page and join your site).

Some clases turn on no password protection at all. Others password protect only those pages that are most sensitive to them. Others password protect absolutely everything. Turning on too much protection can make it more difficult for your classmates to use your site though. But having said that, we've provided all the tools you need to make any page on your site as secure as you want it to be. Your Classmates have the same type of security options for their own Profiles.

Edited 08/23/08 1:42 AM
Saturday, August 23, 2008 at 1:47 AM - Response #4

Thanks. I just hope google drops this quickly before anyone see's it!!!!! This is such a big responsibility and I have to take the heat ya know!!!! I do want to create another web site for MY class, can I use the same e-mail address??? Answer this for me and I think you should go to bed.
Patsy

Saturday, August 23, 2008 at 2:10 AM - Response #5

Note, if you password protect your Classmate Profiles page for 3 or 4 days, that'll likely get Google to drop the longer address even faster. Then you can unpassword protect it again.

Yes, you can use the same email address. Goodnight. Smile

Saturday, August 23, 2008 at 2:21 AM - Response #6

Oh wait not so fast! I recommend you not do this:

Nancy (Arndt) Hardesty......Lyn Carpenter......Lillian, etc.

You are blowing out your home page. Specifically, your Announcement #2 is the culprit. When you do this you are giving the system nowhere to wrap. If you put a whole bunch of characters in a row without a single space, the system can't wrap your text anywhere and has no choice but to push out your page far wider than intended. Inserting some spaces in your text in Announcement 2, and/or some returns (enter key) will solve this problem.

Also make sure you view your page in both Internet Explorer and Safari. Safari is much more forgiving than Internet Explorer. What works there often times won't look as good in Internet Explorer -- always good to check both.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM - Response #7

Brad,

How does one find the original CC generated web address for a website that subsequently purchased a domain name?

Thanks.

Brad Switzer wrote:

You're giving me a run for my money tonight aren't ya? Smile

Your longer Class Creator address will always work to access your web site even if you purchase a domain name. So when you first built your site, most likely you did not have a domain name for a period of time. And then you purchased one. So Google has a link to your Classmate Profiles page indexed at a time prior to you buying your domain name. We have nothing to do with Google, but this longer link will likely drop from Google's index pretty quickly. Bear in mind that any public web page is subject to being indexed by search engines. Search engines do crawl the web and pull in pages...

In any case, regardless of domain name or not, your Classmate Profiles page is indexable because you have not password protected it. As there are only names on this page anyway, and no data of any kind, I do not recommend password protecting this page (it will make it harder for new Classmates to join your site if you do). But if you really don't want it to ever get picked up by search engines, you do in fact have the option to password protect it and shut search engines out for good (if you do this you'll need to give out your "system password" to new Classmates so they can get into the page and join your site).

Some clases turn on no password protection at all. Others password protect only those pages that are most sensitive to them. Others password protect absolutely everything. Turning on too much protection can make it more difficult for your classmates to use your site though. But having said that, we've provided all the tools you need to make any page on your site as secure as you want it to be. Your Classmates have the same type of security options for their own Profiles.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM - Response #8

Hi Dick,

The link would have been part of the site creation wizard and would have been emailed to you when you created your site. Your link is:
http://www.classcreator.com/McPherson-KS-1963

We replace all references to that link with your domain name once you have registered a domain for your site so you won't see it in your admin.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM - Response #9

Hi Jessica,
So if a domain expires, we can still get to our sites using the original link, right?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM - Response #10

Gwen,

Only if the association with the domain name is deleted. This would either have to be done BY YOU before the domain expired or BY US after the domain name has expired.

If the website is still associated with a domain name and that domain name has expired, you will never be able to access your website through the long name because it will keep trying to go to your domain name.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM - Response #11

One can always access it via the original name given by CC before a domain was purchased.

Here's an example of an existing site that shows what Brad is talking about
Quote:

Your longer Class Creator address will always work to access your web site even if you purchase a domain name.
:

ORIGINAL CC long link

DOMAIN version

I don't think having only having a domain expire changes anything. IOW, we are talking about two different things here.

Edited 09/10/13 11:19 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.