ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Should Survey allow same classmate to submit more than once?

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 05/27/13 01:30 AM Views: 1045 Replies: 9
Monday, May 27, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I thought I read that once you set up a Survey, it would only allow a classmate to fill that survey out once. But I just logged on as one of my test users and was able to fill out and submit a survey that I had already submitted (as the same user) a day ago. Is that a bug?

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 2:29 AM - Response #1

If it is a bug, Laurie, it is one I like. Why do I like it? On TAP, I have a survey asking members to select their 1st and 2nd choice best days for Live Chats. As their schedules change, each member can change their answers. It works for me.

Is there a reason you would not want someone to be able to change their answers to a survey? If so, I wonder if CC could add an 'allow members to change their answers' and 'do NOT allow members to change their answers.'

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 8:25 AM - Response #2

I admit, Gwen, I do have mixed feelings about not allowing users to fill out the survey more than once. Actually I'm using the survey in what is perhaps a nontraditional way, I only have one survey question which is asking the user if they plan on attending the reunion.I'm doing this instead of using the reunion planner intentionally, because we Have decided to allow the alumni website for our high school to handle the payment and registration of the users for the weekend. And since there does not seem to be a way to shorten the questions for the reunion planner, we decided it would be too confusing to have the users go through what seems like a registration on our class site, only to have to repeat the process to register and pay for the weekend on our alumni site. Not my decision, I would have used the reunion planner to allow the user not only to specify which events they would be attending, but also to pay for those events. But others wanted our alumni Association to handle all the payment details. So I decided I would use the survey planner to create a simple page that allows the user to check one radio button that says whether they are or are not planning to attend. Then I have created another page, called RSVP, on which I manually maintain a list of people who have responded yes to the survey. That way we're hoping to encourage other classmates to come by seeing that their friends are coming. I know it would be a lot easier to do all this with the reunion planner, since it has built in functionality to add icons by each classmates name once they have indicated which events they are planning to attend. But I was overruled. So, long story short, I guess it's not so bad that this bug exists. That way, a user can say not sure to the survey question, then come back three weeks later and say either yes or no.

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 1:18 PM - Response #3

Wow, Laurie. Having planned reunions with a dinner, lunch, two different tour options and more, using the Reunion Planner is the ONLY option - that is my opinion. You have the reasons for using it right. When someone doesn't want to use the Reunion Planner, it is usually due to their lack of understanding of how it works. When that is in play, the old way is usually the way everyone goes.

As to your manual input of who is attending, if you have not found and decided to use it... click on the results, copy and paste them OR (better yet) USE the Reunion Planner simply to input who is attending - has paid. Mark each one as pay by check.

About the survey, I am not sure this is a 'bug'. I'm looking for CC to weigh in on this one - to squash the bug or not to squash. Wink

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 3:53 PM - Response #4

I will circulate the question of "To squash or not to squash" internally and see what we find. Smile

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM - Response #5

Should I pray to the CC lords, Scott? Wink

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM - Response #6

People can change their answers by design. I have no problem with adding that option though. But, it's something or after the release of our new web site and the Facebook Class Connection application. Until then only absolutely essential things are sneaking into the programming queue. Smile

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM - Response #7

Ahhh, my prayer has been answered for the moment. I like the ability given to change survey answers but do see how there may be a time I may not. ... now what can we come up with to sneak into the queue? Wink

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 11:01 PM - Response #8

On several of the surveys I have posted, I tell the members up front the date that the survey will be taken down, and they can change their answers up until that point.
People make mistakes, change their minds, etc.
I LIKE them NOT being locked into one-time answers only.

Friday, May 31, 2013 at 5:59 PM - Response #9

Noting one thing regarding changing answers to a survey. If more than one answer is allowed, we hope the one changing their answer will UNcheck the previous answer or you will see both answers.

Suggestion: Check 'who' answered each question when you are taking a survey for a count - unless you do not mind one person having more than one answer. I would have sent a message the the member who did this today asking her to fix it... but it was yours truly and she fixed it right away. Wink

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.