ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Invisible Text Link Feature

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/29/12 01:19 AM Views: 1319 Replies: 4
Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 1:19 AM
VIEW PLATINUM FEATURES.JPG

I'm not sure what you would call this feature. "Invisible Text Link Feature" is all I can come up with at the moment.

On the "Subscription" page (see bottom of left hand class website menus) about half way down the page, there is a link that says "View Platinum Features".

When you click on the link, text opens up and appears below it, describing the features. It bumps down the text below it (in this case the Referral Program header).

When you click on the link again the text disappears! This very cool feature is exactly what I have been looking for so we can enhance our "How To Use This Site" page. Previously I was told this type of coding is too advanced and not able to be use on the CC site. It seems it IS being used by CC in this case.

Right now I am using jump links to jump to text lower on the page and then a "return to top" link to jump back to the top menu. This works but is cumbersome and kind of an old tech method. All the websites I'm seeing are using this type of feature. It makes things a lot cleaner looking too.

Since you already have this feature available and in use on the Class Creator site, would it be possible to get the code so we could utilize it on our pages?

Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 1:24 AM - Response #1
View Platinum Features OPEN.jpg

Here is what the link looks like when it is opened. See attachment.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 1:59 AM - Response #2

That is done via a javascript.

IOW, what CC meant is that javascript 'coding is too advanced' for most users. However, if you are a coder, then you can add most javascript programs to a CC site. IOW, this sort of thing is not a 'built-in' feature since it requires custom tinkering as with all custom code.

For example, our site has custom javascript added features for various things. But I'm a coderCool

That particular script basically hides or shows the html text you see. If you view the source for that page, it's right there for you to copy.

By modifying the particulars you can make it 'pop up' anything you like. It's best though, to have a local html editor for this type of work. It can be done with the CC editor, just harder to catch mistakes, etc.

Edited 11/29/12 2:01 AM
Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 7:59 AM - Response #3

What you are talking about is called a "Collapsible Div" JavaScript.

You can learn about them and get code from this link:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/animatedcollapse.htm

There are examples on the page of how to code it.

WARNING WARNING WARNING:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com
has lots of different JavaScripts you can use on your page, but if you don't know what you are doing, you can really mess up your content.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 4:58 PM - Response #4

Thanks! I will tinker on one of our less used sites to see if I can do it on my own. This feature is very cool and would add to the look and feel of the site. It would be more professional looking.

I appreciate and understand your warnings as I am not a coder but love to figure out how to do these things.

Someday, if there was a way to create a template, with fill in the blank sections, I bet many others would appreciate the use of this.....but I know you are way too busy, way behind on your TO DO LIST and this is advanced stuff.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your comments!

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.