ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Suggestion for New Feature

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/30/10 06:58 PM Views: 1247 Replies: 5
Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Each week I spend time in going through each webpage to determine what updates/changes have been made during the last week, then listing each of these in a weekly announcement to facilitate classmates keeping up-to-date with what's happening. It's becoming a tedious task.

New/changes to profiles are of course easy.
But would it be possible to have an automated list of:
1. latest postings in the User Forums
2. new photographs in the photo section
3. new "classmate comments" made
4. new "In Memory" postings and, in particular
5. any new "Responses" made to "In Memories"

With thanks for your consideration,
Michael

Edited 05/30/10 6:59 PM
Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM - Response #1

We have a new feature coming up called "Notify Me!" which will replace the old Profile Subscriptions screen. Once that's out let me know if you think there's a need for anything else.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 7:18 PM - Response #2

Ah - thank you.

And of course I only now remember the other thing I was going to ask:

Is it possible to make the 2 following default settings:

1. For Administrators to ALWAYS be notified of changes/updates in Profiles?

2. For new Profiles, to have ALL the security/accessibility boxes ticked as a default, with a warning display to the new/inexperienced user of the consequences if they uncheck the "Profile Visibility" box? (I am continually writing to new members asking if they really meant to leave the first box unchecked - usually they did not "get" it at the time)

3. And finally, during the sign-up process, is it possible to lead the new subscriber through the procedure for white-listing as part of the process? With the more senior classmates there is always a much higher proportion of techno neophytes who need more hand-holding.

Many thanks

Michael

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 11:05 PM - Response #3

1) Same answer, this whole section is going to be redone, so let us know after it launches if there's anything else you'd like it to do.

2) If there's one area I've learned not to tweak any more, that's the one. The verbiage there now is the result of about 20 forum posts or so on this topic. A warning would only reiterate what's already stated. And then some people won't like the warning, others will want to change the wording in the warning, etc. Some things like this have to be stock. But I'd be happy to remove the entire feature from your site if you wish. I.E. there will simply be no option to create a public Profile -- all Profiles will simply be private.

3) I recommend you put whitelisting information in your New Classmate Welcome email under your Preferences link. Our mail server is whitelisted with most major email providers. Whitelisting just makes it that much more likely real email will be delivered.

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 2:52 AM - Response #4

Thanks, Brad.
I'd be grateful if you would remove entirely the public option for Profile access.
This for both my sites:
http://www.dhs-class-of-1960.net/
and
http://www.classcreator.com/Cape-Town-South-Africa-Uct-Graduate-School-Of-Business-197/

Thank you for your as always quick response.

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 8:26 AM - Response #5

Profile Privacy Override has been turned on for both of your websites.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.