ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

When I'm "Invisible" What do others see?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/19/10 10:12 AM Views: 1673 Replies: 16
Monday, July 19, 2010 at 10:12 AM

http://screencast.com/t/M2U2YTZmYW

When I'm "Invisible" what do other site visitors see for a count of "Members Online"? Is the count reduced by 1 for them?

Edited 07/19/10 10:13 AM
Monday, July 19, 2010 at 10:40 AM - Response #1

For you, o' invisible one, you see the number online + yourself... in the case of the image you sent... 3.

But the count shown to others will be 2... due to your invisibility.

I just did a test with another user in our office on a test site to confirm this info.

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 10:48 AM - Response #2

Perfect. I was hoping that was the case. Didn't want to 'spook' anyone who might be wondering who that 'missing person' might be if they compared the count to the list.

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 11:17 AM - Response #3

John, I'm glad you asked that, I had wondered the same thing. It's kind of nice to be invisable at times!!

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 11:39 AM - Response #4

I think Harry Potter would very much agree with you Razz

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 3:14 PM - Response #5

Okay Guys, How much do I have to pay in order to "become invisible?" I looked at the instructions and yes there are --four-- options, but both on Safari and Firefox, I've only got --three-- options. "Online" "Away" "Do Not Disturb"

I have the latest version of Flash, Safari, Firefox. Cleared Cache and Cookies (again) as they pertain to CC & my school. Anti-virus disabled, Pop-up blockers disabled. This is getting O-L-D! Perhaps the answer to my question is: Just don't get on-line in the first place, John!!Embarassed

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 4:17 PM - Response #6

I'm also having some problems right now. #1 Clicking on the "Members Online" won't pop-up the list of members online. and sometimes #2, I can't change my setting. Seems stuck.

Chrome, Windows, PC.

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 4:36 PM - Response #7

John,

My guess would be that if CC programmers are working on this feature, they may have to shut some of these down while they "test" them. I'm wondering if you "discovered" that Invisible feature before the programmers had fully tested it?

This is something that frustrates me to no end. When I want to "test" a new page or something, I have to do it late at night and hope no one is logged in. Otherwise, I will get an email asking "what happened to xxxx?" when all I was doing was "testing" it, like I've been doing the last week plus.

When I am designing websites for clients, it's real simple to do this testing--just give it another name.

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM - Response #8

Please see my post from July 12th in this thread. It addresses how people were able to IM you even though you were in Do Not Disturb mode. We're working on that right now actually plus a few other little tweaks.

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 5:46 PM - Response #9

John are you still not seeing the Invisible option now? If not that'll be $19.95, he he he. Smile

Edited 07/19/10 5:46 PM
Monday, July 19, 2010 at 5:51 PM - Response #10

What, brownies won't work anymore?

BTW for all Admins. You do know that if you expand your "Members Online" window and leave it that way it will stay expanded next time you check in at your website, right?

Every time I hear the 'chirp' I had to change tabs to the class website, then click on the "Members Online" to see who it was. Leaving the list open saves me a couple of clicks.

($0.00 - no charge for that one.) Laughing

Edited 07/19/10 5:52 PM
Monday, July 19, 2010 at 6:30 PM - Response #11

The Do Not Disturb issue is fixed now, FYI.

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM - Response #12

Brad Wrote:

Quote:

You already have that option. Just click your Edit Profile link and turn off your own personal IM completely. This way you can edit the site without any change of being disturbed while the rest of your Classmates can continue using the IM feature.

I did that, but when I go back in and turn it back on...NO CHANGE. Nothing happens. It isn't there? One thing for sure! I REALLY AM NOW INVISIBLE. Arrrgh!!!

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM - Response #13

John FYI, you have no "Invisible" option and neither do your Classmates because in your Preferences area you removed the ability from IM for Classmates to be invisible. If you force them all to be visible then you also have to be visible. Smile

Did you X out of IM? If you did you need to start a new browser session.

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM - Response #14

Brad Switzer wrote:

John FYI, you have no "Invisible" option and neither do your Classmates because in your Preferences area you removed the ability from IM for Classmates to be invisible. If you force them all to be visible then you also have to be visible. Smile

Did you X out of IM? If you did you need to start a new browser session.

AHHHH! I had no idea that the selection "WHO'S ONLINE" within preferences, above the IM selection had anything to do with IM. And yes, I had hit the "X" first, but what I found is that my Safari is trying very hard to make my short-term memory go completely insane. I had to do a warm-boot to fix the problem. EmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassed

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 7:34 PM - Response #15

Preferences, Invisibility, Warm Boots, oh my!

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 8:15 PM - Response #16

Brad Switzer wrote:

Preferences, Invisibility, Warm Boots, oh my!

Sounds like we might be working for NSA.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.