ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Finding Classmates

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/12/09 01:03 PM Views: 1803 Replies: 6
Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Is there a way for an admin to search for deceased classmates? Same quest diff slant ~ is there a way for an admin to find classmates regardless of there being in deceased or active (active is easy)?

Yes I am new and did not see the answer in the forum.

Thanks Abe

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM - Response #1

Abe G Messarra wrote:

Is there a way for an admin to search for deceased classmates? Same quest diff slant ~ is there a way for an admin to find classmates regardless of there being in deceased or active (active is easy)?

Yes I am new and did not see the answer in the forum.

Thanks Abe

Hi Abe - Welcome - we all were new once!

Assuming you've loaded your class membership list. From your home page, click on Classmates Profiles - top left.

At the top you should see a boxed list of how many fall into each of those 6-7 categories.

The list below this boxed summary represents all the loaded classmates - living and deceased.

To find deceased, click on "In Memory"

If you want to Edit your classmates, under the ADMIN FUNCTIONS heading (left - near bottom), click on Manage Classmates. Then Enter/Add Classmates. You can scroll down the alpha list or you can enter the name in the box wait a second and that name should be among the much shorter list.

By the way, when you see a list such as one of the two mentioned above, you can drag your mouse across the list to highlight it, right-click on the list and choose COPY (or use CTRL-C) and paste it into another document. It will paste as a single column list. (For example in Notepad or Word.)

John

Edited 11/12/09 2:10 PM
Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM - Response #2

ABE....this is the most difficult job of the website (next to keeping it fresh and interesting). You will need to check yellow pages in your home town, then in the country. Home town newspapers and death records help with the deceased....

Has some one in the past been managing a list of classmates for reunions? This may help alot with previous address, phone numbers etc.

I joined classmates.com and found alot of them on there. Also found other students with the same last name as our classmates and e mailed them to fined out if they were related in any way and had any info on our clasmates.....

Old high school clubs are a good way to find some of them....believe it or not after 46 years some of our HS clubs still meet regularly and I tracked alot through that way....

Old friends, neighbors, church organizations...lots of work....after more than 18 on the website we still have 45 of 305 that we can not locate.....but that just dropped from 49 this month....just happened to find 4 more...

Be patient, get a couple of friends to help and keep digging....

It is great sport to locate some one and then talk to them on the phone and get an e mail address....I would then send them an invation to join up!

GOOD LUCK and have fun....JIM

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM - Response #3

Some class websites have found success finding alive classmates using www.facebook.com. When you sign up there, they ask you to fill in your high school and graduating year. After signing in, you can then search for classmates and send them an invite.

One warning. If you send too many invites in one night (probably more than five) you will get a warning that they think you are spamming.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM - Response #4

Abe,
I am still new myself. On the issue of finding people who have passed, I have found that CONFIRMING someone has passed is the toughest thing to do. I found a site that is free if they passed recently (within 1 year). So when someone tells me of a passing I go to (WWW.legacy.com/NS/)to pull up the Obituary. Over 1 year costs about $3-4 each. I found that to be cheaper than the public library. Your local newspaper should also have them free for 1 year until they Archive them to Legacy. Good luck
Bob

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 6:29 PM - Response #5

Abe there is a site called Americas deaths and obituaries that is a premium resource thru the libarary. If you get the right library that carries it, it's free and you can access it at home by using your library card number and the last 4 digets of your phone number. If you check libraries in your area online to see if they have it available. I found it as a great resources for finding people too by putting in the last name and finding relatives. If you can't find one I don't mind looking them up if there isn't a ton. I prefer the iffy ones. I would need their name, year of birth, last known state they lived in. Send me a private message and I will see what I can find. I love the hunt!!

Friday, November 13, 2009 at 8:16 AM - Response #6

I have found ancestry.com and recordslogin.com very helpful in locating people and confirming deaths.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.