ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Background color for an announcement

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/16/09 09:45 AM Views: 1738 Replies: 12
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Brad or anyone:
I am setting up an announcement that will work best with a blackground. I have tested it out and it covers the entire homepage. How do I resize it so that it is only black for the announcement.

I appreciate anyones help on this!
Thanks, Vurginia

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 10:52 AM - Response #1

Your best options are:

1) Insert a table in your Announcement and set the background color of the table to black. You will still have the gray announcement border if you do this, but the area behind the Announcement itself will be black.

2) If the gray border bothers you, temporarily deactivate your Announcement Board and create your own black table in your regular home page editor.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 11:23 AM - Response #2

Thanks Brad, I will try that!

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 12:59 PM - Response #3

Sorry that didn't work. I must have missed something. Where/how exactly, do I make the table background black? I thought I knew, guess not.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 10:46 PM - Response #4

Insert a table 1 cell by one row. Right click in your table cell and from the flyout menu select Cell Properties. Set color to black. You can also click on your table border to select the main table itself, then click the table icon again in your toolbar to set other table properties, such as your vspace and hspace margin settings (the amount of room between your content and the table borders).

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 10:37 AM - Response #5

Thanks Brad, I got the background color thing down pat! But maybe I am dense, but the 2nd part of your directions about the Vspace and Hspace, I don't get that.

I clicked the table icon again as instructed, but see nothing resembling vspace/hspace.

What I am trying to do is set up an announcement for 4th of July with fireworks gif files, which show better in black background. Do I have to set up a table for each gif file I put in there. There must be a better way!

Yikes!! I am in over my head with html stuff, again.

Virginia

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 10:57 AM - Response #6

Sorry, in your table properties it's actually called "cell padding" and "cell spacing".

Whether you should insert additional tables, or additional rows and columns in your existing table really depends on your layout and what you're trying too accomplish, so it's hard for me to answer your question without knowing exactly what you're trying to do. But in general, using tables and table rows and columns is a good way to hold your layout together.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 11:17 AM - Response #7

I do agree that tables are a good way to hold together the content of announcements, photos, etc. I learned that from displaying reunion photos. But not sure that works for what I am trying to do.

Let me try to describe it, you may have a better alternative for me or tell me it cannot be done, which is possible!

The announcement is for as I mentioned 4th of July. I wanted a black background because I found a number of fireworks = animated gif files - I wanted to put in the announcement and some music. The fireworks show better on a black background. How can I make the background all black and place a number of gif files in the announcement which are animated. I did try several tables but there is the gap between and I tried a 2-3-column table but the border - set at 0 still shows a gap.

Is what I am trying to do possible or impossible?

Virginia

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 11:20 AM - Response #8

Without seeing it and just hearing your description I would say yes, this should be easy. Let's say you want to put 3 animated gifs on a black backgrond. I'd insert a table 1 column wide by 3 rows, and then in row 1 I'd put your first animated graphic, in row 2 I'd put your second animated graphic, and in row 3 I'd put your third animated graphic. This way you'll get all graphics in consecutive order without any gaps in your black background.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 11:31 AM - Response #9

OK. Let me try that and see if it is what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks. Virginia

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 11:41 AM - Response #10

Brad, It does look better, but there is that space between the rows. Can I put a color to the border - would that work to blend it all together as one?

With your help I am getting there.

Thanks, Virginia

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 2:48 PM - Response #11

Go into your table properties and set both cell spacing and cell padding to zero. That will nix the gap.

Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 6:42 PM - Response #12

Brad - Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! That's exactly what I was trying to achieve!

What would we all do with out the forum, the support staff and you Brad - the 'Answer Man'!

Thanks again, now I will try to arrange things as I want them now that the background issue is resolved.

Virginia

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.