ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Unsightly broken line

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/18/10 07:09 PM Views: 1504 Replies: 5
Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 7:09 PM

I have the 60s Theme. Underneath the school photo there is an unsightly broken line. What is causing this and how do I get rid of it?

Rockie

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 8:25 PM - Response #1

Rockie,

I am not seeing it. Sometimes stray lines show up when the browser zoom isn't at 100%. Try changing your browser zoom to 100% and see if the problem goes away. If this is the case, only you are seeing the line.

If the line doesn't go away, give a few more details: Which browser are you using? Which platform are you using?

Actually, I just tried looking at your site in Internet Explorer and I did see the line. It went away when I changed the zoom.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM - Response #2

Rockie Gaddie wrote:

I have the 60s Theme. Underneath the school photo there is an unsightly broken line. What is causing this and how do I get rid of it?

Rockie

I see it in ours too, I think CC takes the school photo and tries to add a jagged edge effect to the right and bottom edges.

You can see something on the right edge of your photo too. It's not noticeable on ours because our graphic (instead of a school photo) all white background.

But, it's noticeable on the bottom edge of ours too because whatever CC did to crop it, causes part of the graphic to be cut off where the edge effect is.

I'd actually been thinking of uploading a resized version of the original so everything was visible, just hadn't gotten around to it.

Update - I just looked at another CC site because I was reading a posting about Google Search results rankings, and the "unsightly line" effect (both edges) is very obvious on the Anadarko High School Class Of 1960 school picture.

Oh -- same under Chrome and IE8 browser.

Edited 07/18/10 9:21 PM
Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 9:47 PM - Response #3

I think this has drifted into 2 separate issues here so let me address both:

1) The original post regards an actual straight line that is seen when browser magnification is greater than 100%. Whenever browser magnification is enlarged beyond normal and/or default font sizes are increased beyond normal this can cause the page to display differently from normal. This is very common. The good news is very few people view web pages at a magnification level greater than 100% so an incredibly small percentage of people are seeing this line or any other formatting issues caused by browser magnification.

2) The other "line" issue being discussed here is the ragged edge that encases the school photo on the themed designs. This is intentional of course, but in some cases certain school photos just don't work perfectly with that effect. If that's the case, best bet is either trying a different school photo or changing designs.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 11:37 PM - Response #4

Brad Switzer wrote:

I think this has drifted into 2 separate issues here so let me address both:

1) The original post regards an actual straight line that is seen when browser magnification is greater than 100%. Whenever browser magnification is enlarged beyond normal and/or default font sizes are increased beyond normal this can cause the page to display differently from normal. This is very common. The good news is very few people view web pages at a magnification level greater than 100% so an incredibly small percentage of people are seeing this line or any other formatting issues caused by browser magnification.

2) The other "line" issue being discussed here is the ragged edge that encases the school photo on the themed designs. This is intentional of course, but in some cases certain school photos just don't work perfectly with that effect. If that's the case, best bet is either trying a different school photo or changing designs.

Hi Brad,

1) Actually the OP didn't mention magnification, it was Kyle who brought it up as a possible cause. In fact, I hadn't noticed magnification issues until I tried just now, and I see a coloured vertical line to the left of the school picture, but not below the photo... I believe I'm on the same page as the OP about the line BELOW the picture (see #2 below)

2) I see that Flash is employed to add/overlay the side edges. IMO, the right-side edge is a little "off" as well, but the bottom-side edge definitely adds a distinct line. If you looking at the object "photo-frame-bottom.swf" you see a transition to a dark and distinct line, then jagged edge.

The "line" is accentuated with our "school picture" as it's obvious that the graffiti text in our image is cropped at the bottom and there is a straight black line cutting across the text.

Anyways, I'm going to try to fix our image by resizing it so the important image elements are within a 197x125 dimension (table size for the school picture) and make ours look better. The line will still be there though Smile

Edited 07/18/10 11:38 PM
Monday, July 19, 2010 at 12:18 AM - Response #5

We'll soon be widening the themed designs (an optional upgrade when released). We'll see if we can blend the line any better. There's probably no perfect scenario for every possible school photo but we'll do our best with it. Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.