ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Profile Update Box Suggestion

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/21/08 06:28 PM Views: 1225 Replies: 4
Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Would it be possible to move the Profile Update box to the Classmate Profile page or some other location so that it is not seen by the public?

I have had 6 different cases where estranged ex spouses, boyfriends/girlfriends, family members and the likes of class members have used this information to see if a classmate has joined the site. Because of this I have made it to where the classmate list is password protected and you have to join the site by going through the missing list. This offers added privacy to the classmates so a google search does not pull up their name and just anyone cannot see they belong to the site and know where and when they will be at the reunion. That is also why I don't list the venue or details on any non password protected pages.

I had a case yesterday where a person was trying to get the email address of a classmate because they saw her name on the updated profile list and said that she was a sister who lost contact when really it was an ex boyfriend with a restraining order. I did not give out the information but who knows how many classmates this person tried before they found someone on that profile update box who did not have their profile blocked and if someone gave in. This classmates wants to remove her profile all together because of this.

Two weeks ago it was an ex boyfriend who had been stalking a classmate and had lost contact with her for over 10 years and was able to find her again through the site.

Before that it was a complete stranger who saw a photo on their profile and looked up their name in whitepages.com and actually called them! Now that one was before the feature was put into place that you could block your individual profile so thank goodness that was put into place.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE????

It would be nice if you had to be logged in as a class member to see who is updating their profile.

I did consider the option of removing this feature from the website all together but a lot of the classmates use this feature to see who is updating their page with photo's from high school as a lot of classmates are doing this which is a lot of fun. I am also using this feature to catch those classmates who are updating so I can save those pictures for the DVD I am making.

I did weighed the consequences of both options and decided to leave it up for now and have the classmates be more careful with their individual information but there has got to be something we can do to protect the information by possibly moving it to a page that you have to be a member to have access to it to see.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 8:03 PM - Response #1

The Profile Updates box cannot be moved no, but I should make it very clear to anyone reading this that you do have two options in cases like this:

1) Simply turn off that box. This can be done under your Edit Home Page area. Once a logged in Classmate is into the Classmate Profiles area, all Profile updates are visible there. Each Profile has a Last Updated date now, and if you hover over the gold star next to any Classmate's name you can also see the last updated date. Also, we'll soon be allowing sorting options on this list so you can actualy sort by last updated date. You'll like this option Tracy, because this is really what you're wanting to do (i.e. see the latest profile updates), and it will keep everything behind a password protected area. Stay tuned for that.

2) You can always password protect your home page and leave the box in place. That way only logged in Classmates can see it anyway. Probably a little extreme though -- I think #1 above will be a better solution for you, particularly once we've turned on the sorting abilities on the Classmate Profiles page so you're really able to see the exact information the Profile Updates box is displaying now (but see even more actually).

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 8:16 PM - Response #2

Thank you Brad. I just don't understand what is wrong with people and how they think that the internet gives them free reign to stalk, harass and invade other peoples lives. It is absolutely mind boggling the mentality that these people have. I have learned way too much already about the intricate details of some of the peoples lives that I would much rather not know about and now I am having to play police, advocate and babysitter just to try and throw a party and at the same time not let anyone know what is really going on behind the scenes just so it can be a "party". I don't think half of these people behaved this way when we were in high school. Sheesh!

Friday, August 22, 2008 at 4:09 AM - Response #3

I agree Tracy, as a former prosecutor, there are a lot of "goofs" out there. However, if you limit access too much, people will not sign up or click in!! Tell people to just be careful about what they put down there if there's an issue brewing. Basically, I am saying that YOU must make it user friendly. The SIGNEE then has to use their discretion as to what details they want to share.

Friday, August 22, 2008 at 9:53 AM - Response #4

Glenn,

Exactly! There is a delicate balance of trying to make it user friendly and accessible to all but at the same time prevent all the email spammers as well as the people with ulterior motives from using it for purposes than what it was intended.

It takes enough time just to plan the reunion let alone manage the website. A majority of these people have no concept of the time either one of these things require and seem to be a little bit more demanding of something that is free. GO FIGURE!

Well here is something that is sure to make you smile...I decided to take a much needed break with my just turned 15 month old on Tuesday and took a walk in the park and then over to my father in laws where they have an antique piano. Jenna thought it was the greatest thing. Nothing Sweeter than that!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.